U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2011, 04:06 PM

241 posts, read 381,236 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccjarider View Post
I told my wife that this entire area is ripe for "conquer" by an aggressive East coast tribe. It really would not be too much of a battle.
Hahahaha! I'm thinking of that as being a sketch on "Portlandia," when a flotilla of East coast tribal folk comes streaming down the Columbia, swords and shields at the ready, coming to conquer Portland!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2011, 05:05 PM

892 posts, read 1,160,927 times
There was car-pedestrian accident in SE just before Thanksgiving too.

When it gets dark so early, one of my biggest fears is hitting someone who is crossing the street. A lot of streets aren't well lit, and that includes some busy, high traffic streets. When it's raining and the pedestrian is wearing dark colors, there's no way to see them in time.

Old 12-02-2011, 05:42 PM

56 posts, read 90,525 times
I came to Oregon from the Los Angeles area (Glendale, CA) over two years ago and have never regretted it. In fact, I love the wet weather here (it's one of the reasons I came to Oregon). My wife and I lived in Medford for a year, but the summer was almost as killer long and hot as it is in LA, whew! We moved further north to the Portland area and are trying to find a nice little safe community to settle down in. We're both retired.

This past summer in Portland was still a little too long and hot for my taste, but much more bearable than summer in Medford. We did have to water our lawn, but only for a couple of weeks. I don't want to move any further north because of the snow and ice in the winter, and don't want to move further south because of the hot summers. Portland seems to be about as close to perfect as I'm likely to find.

Old 12-02-2011, 06:31 PM

4,171 posts, read 4,946,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by classicanne View Post
Hahahaha! I'm thinking of that as being a sketch on "Portlandia," when a flotilla of East coast tribal folk comes streaming down the Columbia, swords and shields at the ready, coming to conquer Portland!
Oregon would have them "passive-aggessived" to death in about three days.

And historically, no matter how much Oregon loves Lewis and Clark, if you read their journals, them easterners HATED their stay in Oregon.

We have family in New York City and Boston, and when they come to visit my wife and I are just amazed at how keyed up and and confrontative and just plain old noisy they are as compared to the multi generational native Oregonion branch of the family.

Two weeks is all about we can stand before the "uniqueness" of West Coast and East Coast cultures wears thin and it's time to depart company.

Old 12-02-2011, 06:35 PM

2,162 posts, read 3,381,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rsdotson View Post
This past summer in Portland was still a little too long and hot for my taste...
Hmmmm. It was widely considered a pretty short summer, and not particularly hot if you consider the averages.

Old 12-02-2011, 06:41 PM

19,292 posts, read 20,165,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rsdotson View Post
I came to Oregon from the Los Angeles area (Glendale, CA) over two years ago and have never regretted it. In fact, I love the wet weather here (it's one of the reasons I came to Oregon). My wife and I lived in Medford for a year, but the summer was almost as killer long and hot as it is in LA, whew! We moved further north to the Portland area and are trying to find a nice little safe community to settle down in. We're both retired.

This past summer in Portland was still a little too long and hot for my taste, but much more bearable than summer in Medford. We did have to water our lawn, but only for a couple of weeks. I don't want to move any further north because of the snow and ice in the winter, and don't want to move further south because of the hot summers. Portland seems to be about as close to perfect as I'm likely to find.
Oh my, this was an unusally short and chilly summer for Portland. I hope you won't be disappointed in the future.

Old 12-02-2011, 09:33 PM

286 posts, read 433,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdxMIKEpdx View Post
...And historically, no matter how much Oregon loves Lewis and Clark, if you read their journals, them easterners HATED their stay in Oregon. ...
Good point! Their reaction to their stay in Oregon has come to my mind a number of times reading all these posts about the weather.

But I would contend the cause of their grief had nothing to do with being easterners, rather like most normal people, they were accustomed to and enjoyed the warmth of clear blue skies.

Old 12-04-2011, 12:07 AM

3,792 posts, read 3,192,046 times
My family and I moved here a few years ago and we enjoy our kids' school, the school community, our neighborhood has it's pros and cons but more pros, the weather this year is more challenging to me than the last few Winters. I enjoy living in Portland quite a bit but when I need a big city I just hop a plane to S.F.(my hometown) or NY(longtime home) or drive to Seattle. My kids love it here and have made friends quickly and I have started to make friends from my kids' school. I have no regrets that we made the move but of course, sometimes I have my concerns and annoyances with the area. Over all, a good choice.

Old 12-04-2011, 04:13 AM

32 posts, read 54,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PNWdreamin View Post
I keep reading about those two things in particular: Bad drivers and no good mexican food!
Is this true? Are Portland drivers really that bad or do they just drive slow?
I have coined a term for Oregon drivers......aggressive/passive drivers. I would say that at least half or more of the drivers in this region have no idea on how to drive. What I see the most is the kind of driver who will pull out onto highway traffic almost causing a fatal accident, and then proceed to drive 10 miles or less under the speed limit.

If the speed limit is posted at 55, you will be lucky to do 50 if you are stuck behind them. This is more typical of the state highways though, not the freeway system. There it is a bit more sensible but not always.

My theory is that most people up here literally have no where to go and therefore are in no hurry, so when they are driving it is if they are the only people on the road. Almost as if they are in some kind of valium fog. It can get very frustrating especially if you drive for a living and have to deal with it on a daily basis!

Old 12-04-2011, 04:52 PM

1,167 posts, read 2,028,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjpop View Post
Hmmmm. It was widely considered a pretty short summer, and not particularly hot if you consider the averages.
My thoughts exactly? You mean the summer that starts in mid-July and then ends in September?
I don't think you'll find a shorter summer than 6 weeks anywhere in the US.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2013 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland