Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2011, 04:39 PM

10,229 posts, read 16,301,087 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post
Oh my, this was an unusally short and chilly summer for Portland. I hope you won't be disappointed in the future.

Yeah, I was scratching my head over this one. This summer was gone in a sneeze!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2011, 05:38 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,449,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PNWdreamin View Post
Thank you for all the input so far. Glad to see that there have been no regrets posted yet Also happy that the weather really hasn't been an issue for most of you!
The people for whom weather may not be an issue may have already left Portland.

There is the serious matter of SAD which some transplants get after moving here and find they have to move to a less overcast area. If your husband just does not care for overcast skies, it's just a matter of adjusting. But if he has a medical problem, SAD, he may need to have a light box or other type of treatment for it.

Although it really isn't quite long enough, you may want to come and visit when the weather is at its typical overcast best, maybe for a week or two if possible. It may give him an idea as to how he will be able to cope.

I am mentioning this because a friend of mine had to move back to Florida after living in Portland for awhile after the treatments for SAD stopped working for her. And because you seem to feel that the weather above all else could be a problem.

Old 12-04-2011, 06:05 PM

4,828 posts, read 7,454,667 times
As a native Portlander and Oregonian, I find this thread highly amusing.

The main complaints seem to be the high cost of living and driving habits.
Both of these are directly contributable to the "mystique" and insane growth that Portland (and Oregon) has experienced in the last twenty years.
For example, I'll bet that most of the irritating drivers you mention moved here from somewhere else.
And all the fun stuff like trams, trolleys, MAX, all the glitzy stuff that makes Portland exciting, can't and never will be sustained by the current population.
More people will have to move here to increase the population to establish the tax base that's going to pay for all the subsidized toys.
It's only going to get worse tax wise.

All the transplants have made Portland what it is, now you're complaining about it.

Seems like the stereotypes really are true.

I'll never again experience the "Portland" that made Portland "Portland", but how I yearn for the Portland of yore.

Truthfully, it wasn't the greatest, and I applaud many of the improvements and innovations, but IMHO, what we had was better in many ways.
If you think about it, what Portland was started the "mystique", in-migration and development of what Portland is now.
If you weren't lucky enough to experience the old Portland, you should shut up and count your blessings for what you have now.

Portland would be absolutely perfect with 1/3 less population than it currently has.
I recently read a study done by PSU that said that Portland's population has reached a null point.
Hopefully the trend will be that Portland has begun to lose it's luster, and people will move on to the next "trendy" city, wherever that may be.

Last edited by pdxMIKEpdx; 12-04-2011 at 07:04 PM..

Old 12-04-2011, 06:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdxMIKEpdx View Post

Both of these are directly contributable to the "mystique" and insane growth that Portland (and Oregon) has experienced in the last twenty years.

All you transplants made Portland what it is, now you're complaining about it.

Seems like the streotypes really are true.

I'll never again experience the "Portland" that made Portland "Portland", but how I yearn for the Portland of yore.

Truthfully, it wasn't the greatest, and I applaud many of the improvements and innovations, but IMHO, it what we had was better in many ways than it is now.
If you think about it, what Portland was started the in-migration and development of what Portland is now.
If you never got to experience that, you should count your blessings for what you have now.

Portland would be absolutely perfect with 1/3 less population than it currently has.

I recently read a study done by PSU that said that Portland's population has reached a null point.
Hopefully the trend will be that Portland has begun to lose it's luster, and people will move on to the next "trendy" city, wherever that may be.
I am not a native. I have lived in Portland since 1978. I miss those days and also do not really care for what you have described as Portland having become.

I don't regret moving here because on the whole it has been a good run. But I will regret staying here too much longer for reasons I have mentioned in prior posts but mainly the high COL. I will be leaving as soon as the stars are alligned and I am able.

I am not dissing Portland for what it is today. If that's the way it has transformed by those who are happy here, that's just fine with me. But I find it amusing as, like Mike stated, those are the things that were imported by transplantees.

Old 12-04-2011, 07:31 PM

2,661 posts, read 3,859,347 times
Quote:

For example, I'll bet that most of the irritating drivers you mention moved here from somewhere else.
And all the fun stuff like trams, trolleys, MAX, all the glitzy stuff that makes Portland exciting, can't and never will be sustained by the current population.
More people will have to move here to increase the population to establish the tax base that's going to pay for all the subsidized toys.

All the transplants have made Portland what it is, now you're complaining about it.

Truthfully, it wasn't the greatest, and I applaud many of the improvements and innovations, but IMHO, what we had was better in many ways.
If you think about it, what Portland was started the "mystique", in-migration and development of what Portland is now.
If you weren't lucky enough to experience the old Portland, you should shut up and count your blessings for what you have now.

I have to throw out the BS card about this idea that the rest of the country want to move to Portland. Many people on this site mention a Portland "mystique" or whatever you want to call it.

This is a moving forum, of course that is what people are going to talk about. It certainly does not imply that all humanity wants to live here.

As far as growth, the entire country has changed and become more suburban in the last 30 years, not just Portland. 90% of cities in America have greater suburban, exurban extensions than they did in 1950. Detroit and Buffalo may be the few exceptions.

Be careful about your comments about reducing population. Someday you will hope your assets have some value and will want someone to buy your home. Just ask the folks in the two cities mentioned above how they feel about population loss.

Most of the people I meet are like me. They came here because of work opportunity, that's pretty much it. It was not any special desire to live in a rainforest or anything.

Sounds like someone if full of themselves and their "Nativeness."

Not sure about the high COL comment, compared to NW suburbs of Chicago - housing is unbelievably cheap here. I practically wrote out a check for a nice 3 bd, 3 ba home in Oregon City area - pretty cool. Taxes aren't bad either.

I think comments about money and costs are difficult to evaluate. Everyone has a different base from which they are comparing.

If you come from a high cost area, Portland is cheap. If you come from a low cost area, it will feel expensive.

Old 12-04-2011, 09:59 PM

4,828 posts, read 7,454,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccjarider View Post
I have to throw out the BS card about this idea that the rest of the country want to move to Portland.
Many people on this site mention a Portland "mystique" or whatever you want to call it..
All you have to do is read some of the east coast papers glamorizing Portland and realize how just how many have moved here from southern California.
It may not be the "rest" of the country want to move here, but you can definately say there are select parts of the country that hold Portland as a dream city of residence.

Quote:
Be careful about your comments about reducing population. Someday you will hope your assets have some value and will want someone to buy your home. Just ask the folks in the two cities mentioned above how they feel about population loss...
Since you specifically directed this to me with use of the word "you", I can honestly say that I am not to worried about my assets in this state.
I'm here for the long haul and invested wisely in the real estate market twenty five years ago when I realized what was to happen.
Luckily, my family and I are set for the rest of our lives thanks to Portland's growth.

Quote:
Most of the people I meet are like me. They came here because of work opportunity, that's pretty much it. It was not any special desire to live in a rainforest or anything...
Maybe not you or your freinds, but there are plenty of suckers that buy into this crap about Portland and Oregon being some easy living, koombaya, green, eco-friendly, hippie, love everybody and everybody loves you nirvana, where you can live on tofu, sprouts, and backyard chickens, and live anywhere you want on 500 bucks a month.

Quote:
Sounds like someone if full of themselves and their "Nativeness." ...
Not me, buddy. I can't help my heritage and could care less about yours.
I never could understand why when somebody mentions their "Nativeness" it arouses such ire and hostility in transplants.
It seems like almost every single time somebody mentions they are a native on this forum, they get a bunch of crap about it.
I just happen know the history and can compare what it was to what it is.
Whether you are or not a "native" really means squat to me, so why try to goad me into a fight by talking trash about my nativeness?
And as I've read over and over on this forum, people wonder why it seems so hard to make friends with us natives.
Maybe it's not us with the chips on our shoulders?

Quote:
Not sure about the high COL comment, compared to NW suburbs of Chicago - housing is unbelievably cheap here. I practically wrote out a check for a nice 3 bd, 3 ba home in Oregon City area - pretty cool. Taxes aren't bad either.
Maybe, maybe not about the housing.
It's everything else costing so much that evens it out.
Good for you though!

Last edited by pdxMIKEpdx; 12-04-2011 at 10:16 PM..

Old 12-05-2011, 09:43 AM

6,464 posts, read 13,440,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dual Citizen CA-OR View Post
Good point! Their reaction to their stay in Oregon has come to my mind a number of times reading all these posts about the weather.

But I would contend the cause of their grief had nothing to do with being easterners, rather like most normal people, they were accustomed to and enjoyed the warmth of clear blue skies.
I would say their lack of diversity in food contributed a lot towards their attitude about the weather. It was just a miserable trip altogether, what with needing to push a boat weighing 16,000 pounds altogether up unmapped rivers and through sand bars.

BTW, only one member of the expedition ever made it back to Oregon.

Jean Baptiste Charbonneau he died and is buried near the Ghost Town of Danner here in Oregon.

Old 12-05-2011, 01:39 PM

320 posts, read 417,338 times
Quote:

Well, as the OP I would like to respond to this. I can't speak for anyone else of course, but I want you to know my reasons for wanting to move there.

I am completely unaware of the "trendiness" of moving to Portland. I honestly knew nothing about Portland until My husband and I payed a visit on a road trip. We simply wanted to explore Oregon and Washington because we had never been to either. Also, I have a cousin who I wanted to visit in Salem. Our focus was really wanting to see the Olympic Peninsula. So far I love almost everything I have seen of both Oregon and Washington. However, after visiting Portland for the first time I felt drawn there. I simply think that it's beautiful. Living in Southern Ca, I had never seen so much green. I loved the weather, the small town feel even though it's a city, and the scenery! My husband is a City Boy and I want to be surrounded by nature. I Love the forest in particular Portland just seemed like a perfect combination of what we were both looking for on many levels. Also for us it would be MUCH more affordable than where we currently live. So I for one would never complain about the cost of living.

As far as transplants moving there and complaining, I wouldn't know. But so far on this thread, almost all of the answers have said that they really love Portland and are glad they moved there.
As far as who the bad drivers are..well, It's probably almost impossible to find out where they all came from. IMHO, I'd say that anyone who drives different from what one is used to would seem irritating. So if you moved there from somewhere crazy like southern CA, then anyone who drove slow would perhaps seem irritating. And if you have always lived in Oregon, then all the people moving in from CA driving much faster and more aggressive would seem irritating. So I think it's a matter of perspective on who the irritating/bad drivers really are

Last, for me personally, it was most certainly not the the "glitzy" stuff that drew me in. I have way too much of that in LA! It was the opposite. I am excited about the idea of a slower paced, more family oriented, healthier way of life. I just want my kids to be able to live in a nice affordable house, breath clean air, and live a more outdoorsy life. I would certianly NOT want to make Oregon another California and would embrace the differences. After all, I want to leave California for a reason!

Old 12-05-2011, 05:51 PM

1,082 posts, read 2,403,283 times
I moved here in 1998 from Atlanta and have never had any regrets. I love it here. If I ever move, it will be for a change to some place I like just as much, but I can't imagine a better place than Portland for me.

The hardest adjustment was the weather. I went from dislike to tolerance to love. Now the wet grayness doesn't bother me at all.

I don't understand the comments about lack of good Mexcian food. We have a large Mexican population, many of whom are in the suburbs, and there are plenty of Mexican restaurants that I like. Perhaps the issue is that people can't find certain types of regional Mexcian food that they're used to. It's hard to find Santa Fe style cuisine, for instance.

Old 12-05-2011, 06:56 PM

Portland does get a lot of hype from the media back East. I have friends and realtives in Chicago and New York who really think that Portland is all about that stupid show "Portlandia". I also read some of the publications from other cities and everything about Portland sounds like the streets are pavedwith gold. They focus on one aspect of the city which is fine but people tend to overlook the fact that Porltand has its struggles just like the place from which they want to move.

If you look at the thread, "Things I Like-Dislike about Portland" you will find more balanced opinions. This thread was asking "Do You Regret." Those who don't are here. Those who do are more than likely already gone.

I am glad to see the posters on this thread who used their heads and checked out Portland before moving rather than listening to hype. That's what made them successful transplantees. Many do not check out the reality of living here and are therefore very disappointed when they discover how difficult it really is to find a job or housing and how high the COL is in comparison to where they lived IF they had a lower COL in their place of origin.

I cannot begin to tell you how many people I personally know who came here on a "dream" only to be forced to move back from where they came or to another city that really was more suitable for them.

My point, as I had said before, is to all potential transplantees is check out Portland before you move here to see if it suits YOU.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland