U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2011, 11:58 AM

13,596 posts, read 10,674,707 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PNWdreamin View Post
I didn't mention jobs for a few reasons. #1. Moving there is still just something we are thinking about and would not happen probably for at least 3 more years. We of course would not even consider moving unless we had jobs lined up ahead of time. #2. Getting jobs would not really be a concern. I know that the job market is bad there (it's even worse here). But my husband can transfer his current job to almost anywhere in the United States. As for me, I am self employed and can also work from anywhere.

Of course I realize that we would both take a pay cut, however the difference in COL overall should still leave us in a good place after that pay cut. For instance, I have gone to several COL city/region comparison sights that give you a rough idea of the COL difference using averages in each city. When I enter in LA county vs. Portland, one website shows that on average people make about 6.6% less in Portland for the same job, but housing is about 38% less in Portland. Utilities are about 14% less in Portland as well. I believe it said transportation was about 7% less in Portland and Food/Groceries were almost the exact same. Another sight said that if you make $100,000 in LA, then you only need to make about $60,000 in Portland to maintain the same standard of living. Now these numbers are an average of course and will vary from person to person and neighborhoods etc. We wouldn't move unless we were confident that we could afford it first. That is why I am starting my research now I want to know all there is to know about Portland. As mentioned we are also planning another visit within the next 6 months to further explore the area and make sure it's for us!
I am very glad to hear this. I apologize if I seemed too critical. You are wise in planning as you are. With that, I believe you will be very successful if and when you decide to move.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2011, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davemess10 View Post
We rented last year. A two bedroom, 1.5 bath, 900 sq ft with a fireplace and in apartment washer/dryer. On Beaverton Hillsdale Hwy (so about 4-5 miles out of downtown). Price was $750/month.

It wasn't my dream neighborhood, but it was safe, fairly convenient to some things, and I know many people who do like living there (Raleigh Hills).

So yes, I view this as a completely viable option, and really do not think it is very expensive (especially in comparison to other neighborhoods).

I know PLENTY of people who get by just fine on $25-30k a year here (which is really not a huge salary, if you have a 40 hr/wk job).

Portland is a pretty similar COL as the CO cities I moved here from. It's still cheaper than Seattle too.
I used to live along BvrtHlsdHwy. That was when rents there were actually more expensive than SE Portland where I moved in the 80's because of the increasing rents in Raleigh Hills.

I liked Raleigh Hills too. But besides the savings in rent I moved to the SE part of town because bus transportation was not so frequent (Sunday the 54 came only every hour for example) along BvrtHlsHwy and not having a car, I depend solely on buses to go everywhere.

I agree that these places exist but it doesn't appear to be what people wanting to move here are asking for. I see quite a few requests for trendy walk-to-everything neighborhoods for two bedroom apartments or more for $750.

And I am one of those who has gotten by on $25-$30 for many, many years. But due to rising costs of everything, I am finding it hard to do so now.

But as I have said before, those who move here with eyes open, a plan and a job or enough to live on until they find one, it can be a success. And by her last post, it looks like the OP is one of the smart ones who is doing this.

Old 12-07-2011, 12:47 PM

228 posts, read 144,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post
I am very glad to hear this. I apologize if I seemed too critical. You are wise in planning as you are. With that, I believe you will be very successful if and when you decide to move.
Thank you! And I appreciate the advice

Old 12-07-2011, 08:25 PM

1,167 posts, read 1,302,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post
I see quite a few requests for trendy walk-to-everything neighborhoods for two bedroom apartments or more for $750.
That's what people have been told about Portland and that's what they want. If they do really like the city (after getting here and realizing EVERYONE wants that, and they can't afford it), they'll either adapt and move somewhere close to city they can afford (which still might have some of those amenities) or they'll leave (as it seems you are doing).

You live off of Hawthorne, right? I'm sure you've seen skyrocketing rent over the last 10-15 years. We all know that that area is one of the most desirable in the city right now. So you could move somewhere else with cheaper rent (maybe back to Raleigh Hills ), and it's not really the COL this is driving you out of Portland, just maybe out of your neighborhood.

Old 12-07-2011, 08:39 PM

6,415 posts, read 5,705,143 times
Interesting article concerning the lack of apartment space in the current Willy Week. And while I get that there aren't the apartments available, I, too, think it's hilarious that people think they're going to find a $500 place to live that's in the perfect spot right in the middle of town, and is not a dump. Thought it was interesting that it said that rents in the Gladstone area had gone down, while those in town have gone up. Dramatically. Wonder if that's true for other suburbs too.

Old 12-07-2011, 08:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davemess10 View Post
That's what people have been told about Portland and that's what they want. If they do really like the city (after getting here and realizing EVERYONE wants that, and they can't afford it), they'll either adapt and move somewhere close to city they can afford (which still might have some of those amenities) or they'll leave (as it seems you are doing).

You live off of Hawthorne, right? I'm sure you've seen skyrocketing rent over the last 10-15 years. We all know that that area is one of the most desirable in the city right now. So you could move somewhere else with cheaper rent (maybe back to Raleigh Hills ), and it's not really the COL this is driving you out of Portland, just maybe out of your neighborhood.
Yes I do. It was nothing like it is today when I moved here back in the 80's. In fact people cautioned me not to move to this area because it was considered dangerous. I was able to rent a two bedroom townhouse for something like $235 a month, bus transportation was great and I could walk to everywhere. I really wasn't concerned all that much about the "dangers." Heck, you always knew where to find a cop. Usually next door doing a raid on marijuana smokers. Especially on Saturday nights.

The COL is my first consideration but not my only one. It's a more than just rent for me too. There are other factors as well. Regarding neighborhoods, though, it's nice to know that Raliegh Hills is more affordable now.

Old 12-08-2011, 11:11 AM

2,717 posts, read 2,404,234 times
Funny how neighborhoods change through the years.

We've discussed Hawthorne.

When I was a kid, Brentwood/Darlington was called Errol Heights formally, but called Felony flats informally.
IMHO, it's much better now, but still sketchy in some areas.
But it was a neighborhood one strived to move out of.
In fact, you knew you made it in east Portland when you could afford to move across the river to the west side.

Sellwood was low rent and working class, now it's a great place to buy a small home on a small lot for a lot of money.

Woodstock is now considered "vibrant" and desireable, but back in the day it was considered very working class, a step or two down from the Westmoreland neighborhoods.

Eastmoreland is still considered the neighborhood of snooty swells.

Years ago I was involved with Cub Scouts in the Sellwood/Westmoreland/Eastmoreland/Woodstock neighborhoods.
The cubmaster of the pack based in Eastmoreland lived in Woodstock.
I still remember the behind the scenes trash talking about how a guy from lowly Woodstock became the leader of a pack full of kids from the affluent families of Eastmoreland/Westmoreland.
There was plenty of concern and discussion of how he was not of the right social standing, education, or economic status.
The funny thing, he was the best cubmaster they ever had, and they had a very hard time replacing him when he retired.
This was back in the 70's/80's.

Last edited by pdxMIKEpdx; 12-08-2011 at 12:11 PM..

Old 12-08-2011, 06:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdxMIKEpdx View Post
Funny how neighborhoods change through the years.

We've discussed Hawthorne.

When I was a kid, Brentwood/Darlington was called Errol Heights formally, but called Felony flats informally.
IMHO, it's much better now, but still sketchy in some areas.
But it was a neighborhood one strived to move out of.
In fact, you knew you made it in east Portland when you could afford to move across the river to the west side.

Sellwood was low rent and working class, now it's a great place to buy a small home on a small lot for a lot of money.

Woodstock is now considered "vibrant" and desireable, but back in the day it was considered very working class, a step or two down from the Westmoreland neighborhoods.

Eastmoreland is still considered the neighborhood of snooty swells.

Years ago I was involved with Cub Scouts in the Sellwood/Westmoreland/Eastmoreland/Woodstock neighborhoods.
The cubmaster of the pack based in Eastmoreland lived in Woodstock.
I still remember the behind the scenes trash talking about how a guy from lowly Woodstock became the leader of a pack full of kids from the affluent families of Eastmoreland/Westmoreland.
There was plenty of concern and discussion of how he was not of the right social standing, education, or economic status.
The funny thing, he was the best cubmaster they ever had, and they had a very hard time replacing him when he retired.
This was back in the 70's/80's.
I moved here just before the big transition so I remember all you are describing. Quite a change!

Old 12-08-2011, 06:32 PM

81 posts, read 51,932 times
I have nothing to add as I don't live in Portland, but I am following this thread with great interest. Thank you for starting it PNWdreamin!

Old 12-08-2011, 08:03 PM

228 posts, read 144,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PonderingPortland View Post
I have nothing to add as I don't live in Portland, but I am following this thread with great interest. Thank you for starting it PNWdreamin!
Looks like your thinking about moving to Portland also Do you plan on visiting soon? Post about your visits if you do! Good Luck on your research. I've been having a blast learning about Portland and can't wait until our next trip there!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland