Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2011, 10:29 AM

1,082 posts, read 1,912,815 times

Advertisements

So my hubs has been interviewing with Nike and we may be relocating to west portland/beaverton. I've been looking at jobs for myself, not too much to pick from, which i expected - and that mirrors where we are currently.

I work in science/agriculture education with an emphasis on Hispanic populations. I've checked out all the obvious scientific employers in the area, but was wondering if anyone had suggestions about the Ag side of things. I've checked with county extension and OSU, nothing there. A few jobs with USDA/Forest Service. Is there anywhere else I should check out?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2011, 10:51 AM

10,990 posts, read 20,567,401 times
Nothing comes to my pea sized brain at the moment. The food processors that were in Portland metro have consolidated and are in the mid Willamette Valley. As you doubtless know our ag school is Oregon State. Once you are here I would visit with a couple of their professors to get a picture of north Wmt. Valley agriculture. I haven't chased coyotes for a while so don't know as much about the industry as I once did. Strawberries here, for example, are either grown for flavor (think Smuckers) or for local consumption. Hand harvest labor for a short and hard to predict season is a challenge for farmers.

I suggest you think more broadly and look at fresh fruit & vegetable distribution centers, see if any of them do any quality & safety surveys of their suppliers. The food safety issues that have surfaced seem to come from field sanitation. Maybe you could sell an observation (avoid the term inspection because of liability issues) and farm worker training program.

Old 12-02-2011, 11:55 AM

4,828 posts, read 7,454,667 times
Nell's right, you need to look farther south in the Willamette Valley than Portland.

Old 12-02-2011, 11:55 AM

6,464 posts, read 13,440,203 times
Agriculture in the Portland area, especially near Beaverton mostly consists of housing tracks. IE, many of the large farms have been paved and built over, so there is little need for processors, and even less need for education.

So Nell's observations that most of that has moved to mid-Willamette is on. There may be some need in Tillamook area due to the larger number of Cattle Farms, but Highway 6 isn't going to be a fun commute.

The only other suggestion I can think of is seeing if PCC has some teaching positions open.

Old 12-02-2011, 12:02 PM

12,823 posts, read 24,402,599 times
How about something in the viticulture arena? Seems like that arena involves ag and Hispanic populations.

Old 12-02-2011, 08:45 PM

1,082 posts, read 1,912,815 times
good to know, sounds kinda like what happened here. concrete gradually replacing farms.

Old 12-02-2011, 08:58 PM

1,176 posts, read 2,563,004 times
You might want to look to some of the smaller, co-op style farms (places like Zenger, or some of the farms out on Sauvie Island). There is actually a pretty big interest in urban gardening/farming here. So you may find a niche somewhere (like a green house or a city-sponsored program).

Some of the smaller farms do a lot of volunteer-type stuff, which may get your foot in the door.

Old 12-02-2011, 10:09 PM

10,990 posts, read 20,567,401 times
I think the OP has a degree in ag science, speaks farm worker Spanish and may be looking for a position that actually pays a living wage. That is why I suggested she look at distribution centers, maybe find a field rep position. Those in the field know what I am talking about.

Old 12-03-2011, 09:28 AM

15,293 posts, read 17,684,015 times
Monrovia has a really big nursery operation north of Salem on the west side of the Willamette, but the commute from Portland would be a killer, because of the Dundee bottleneck. Filberts (hazel nuts) are big in the Dundee area. There is also some pretty big tulip bulb growing near Mt. Angel, some turf operations near Wilsonville, and vinyards everywhere. Agriculture is Oregon's biggest industry and, thanks to land use laws, is still thriving in the Willamette Valley, which is one of the great garden spots of the world.

Did you know the PNW has a weekly Ag newspaper, headquartered in Salem?

Capital Press agriculture news | capitalpress.com

Bilingual with a degree in Ag, your job prospects look pretty bright, even in this economy.

Old 12-03-2011, 10:12 AM

1,176 posts, read 2,563,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nell Plotts View Post
I think the OP has a degree in ag science, speaks farm worker Spanish and may be looking for a position that actually pays a living wage. That is why I suggested she look at distribution centers, maybe find a field rep position. Those in the field know what I am talking about.
I get that, you know what you're talking about. And I'm just saying that Portland is a land of weird opportunity, and it doesn't hurt to look for "outside the box" ventures here.

There really is no need to reiterate that you're knowledgeable about the subject.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland