Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2012, 10:17 PM

1 posts, read 1,182 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Caldwell View Post
If you know anyone from Ireland, lowland Scotland, England or France, you know someone who is Viking-descended. Dublin was founded as a Viking colony. The Celts and the Romans were both dark haired people. If you know a blonde or a red head, they are Viking descendants.
Actually to be more accurate, folks from viking era Denmark and Sweden tended toward more blonde and red hair, but brown and black hair were certainly not all that unusual. However, folks from the same time period in Norway tended to have more brown, black and red hair, while blonde hair was much more rare. And the Celts WERE known to have at least some incidence of red hair.

And to be a bit more specific, you have the area of Scotland where the "vikings" (Norse) held sway wrong. The Norse controlled the north and west coastlands of Scotland (which are the Highlands NOT the Lowlands), as well as the islands of the Hebrides, Orkneys and Faeroes. While the Danes principally held sway in northern and eastern England. There were also Angles and Saxons in England from earlier invasions. Both of which were germano-scandinavian peoples from what is now northern Germany. And blonde and red hair was quite prevalent in these people also.

And your generalization that "anyone from Ireland, lowland Scotland, England or France" is descended from scandinavians is ridiculous! As in all societies that were invaded or otherwise controlled by an outside force, some or much genetic mixing is a given. But there are always at least a minority of people that resist any such inter-mingling of genetics.

Old 03-19-2012, 11:05 PM

682 posts, read 1,578,880 times
aaaaaaaand... it's back!

Old 03-19-2012, 11:33 PM

865 posts, read 2,501,554 times
And the original point of this thread was... That the Irish, Scandinavians, or some other "minority" thinks Portland is, or has caused Portland to be overrated?!!! Let's let this thread die!

Old 03-20-2012, 12:24 AM

38 posts, read 55,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayuso View Post

The whole smug factor "'I'm so much more open-minded than you are, which is why I don't listen to a thing you say." I've encountered alot of that

The phony sense of kindness. Sure by all means people are cool to ask a question to if you get lost. It's very anti social here it seems like though, people seem very afraid to step outside their safe little bubble
This is quite true and perfectly illustrative of the deep-seated nastiness.

I will also add that Portland is not very highly rated at all. I have never met anyone dying to move to and live in Portland, OR. Some people express a desire to live in Seattle but never, ever, ever Portland. That is truth in action.

After this point the huffiness (note how mean-spirited it is) will begin. It is like clockwork and perfectly predictable.

Old 03-20-2012, 08:25 AM

892 posts, read 1,592,741 times
My brother had a huffy bike. It was heavy and not particularly well built.

Old 03-20-2012, 08:28 AM

1,176 posts, read 2,562,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SETabor View Post
My brother had a huffy bike. It was heavy and not particularly well built.
They had some decent bikes in the 80s when they were more of a racing brand. Now they're just kind of cheap Wal-Mart bikes.

Old 03-20-2012, 09:22 AM

638 posts, read 1,178,557 times
Grandma Huff's Texas Cake

INGREDIENTS

Cake:
2 cups flour
2 cups sugar
1 stick butter
1/2 cup cocoa
1/2 cup shortening
1 cup water
1 tbs soda
1/2 cup milk
2 eggs
1 tbs vanilla
Frosting:
1 stick butter
1/2 cup cocoa
5 tbs milk
1 tbs vanilla
1 lb box powdered sugar

DIRECTIONS

For cake: Mix flour and sugar together in large bowl. Bring to a boil butter, cocoa, shortening, and water. Pour hot mixture over flour and sugar and mix well. Add baking soda, milk, eggs and vanilla. Beat on medium until well mixed. Add to greased cake pan. Bake on 400 for 20 minutes.
For frosting:
Bring to a boil, butter, cocoa, milk and vanilla. Remove from heat and add to one box powdered sugar. Serve on warm cake.

Old 03-20-2012, 11:44 AM

6,413 posts, read 12,142,138 times
I loved my Schwin stingray.

Old 03-20-2012, 12:59 PM

343 posts, read 692,771 times
Life Goal: ride my Huffy decked out with a pink basket, bell, streamers and a baseball card between the spokes and rip through Portland.

Old 03-20-2012, 02:38 PM

6,464 posts, read 13,437,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ramedud View Post
Life Goal: ride my Huffy decked out with a pink basket, bell, streamers and a baseball card between the spokes and rip through Portland.
Not weird enough. Zoobomb - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland