U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 01-01-2012, 12:51 PM
Status: "Sweater and boot weather" (set 26 days ago)
 
Location: The beautiful Rogue Valley
4,224 posts, read 8,212,337 times
Reputation: 3430

Advertisements

This is exactly why these threads never end well. Poster A comes in with a long and ridiculously whiny set of complaints about City XZY not measuring up to an unrealistic magazine article or imaginary paradise and then, further down in the discussion, Poster Q comes in with a likewise over-the-top anti-rant.

If you've been here (in the Portland forum, or, really, any city forum on City Data) you've seen it happen about every 3-6 months.

Rinse, repeat, recycle.

 
Old 01-01-2012, 12:56 PM
 
1,027 posts, read 687,345 times
Reputation: 551
I think there's no need to compare Bay area against Portland as if it's something extreme, or take it very personally when someone does compare. I came from another part of the world and North CA cities and OR cities are all kind of like sister-towns to me... A lot of "Portlanders" are actually former residents of Frisco-town and I think they'd be most upset when someone is comparing Portland to SF in a negative way lol. I think real locals/natives of OR would be happy when someone decries Portland in online forum, as this would only mean less people moving in, as if this town is in need of a lot of new transplants. Some people act as if OR-CA border is a border with North Korea or something.
 
Old 01-01-2012, 01:14 PM
 
3 posts, read 4,603 times
Reputation: 34
I'm astounded at the overwhelming negativity against the OP for stating is opinion about Portland. I'm from Portland. I was born and raised in Portland (on the east side) and now live in Beaverton (on the westside). I work in the IT field (which is extremely strong here in Portland). I've worked in Lake Oswego, down town Portland, and now in the south waterfront district (the new very beautiful area of downtown). I am a native Portlander through and through and I can tell you right now that many of what the OP says about Portland is true. And quite frankly all of the back handed insults and attack that supporters through at the OP give Portland a bad name. Portlanders are not bad, angry, negative people, however the attitudes you people are directing towards the OP seem to insinuate the opposite.

However, I tend to support the OP.

1. Portland is not the most dangerous place in the world, however it is not the safest either. I'd say that the area between MLK and as far out as Gresham is a very dodgy area. Also, Milwaukie is a total cesspool. I know this because I lived there for many years and now living in Beaverton, trust me, the east side is bad.

2. The climate here is wet, soggy, cloudy, and anyone living in Portland knows it. Yes, we do have a summer and yes, there are worse climates out there but to deny that we live in a climate where it rains or is cloudy 3/4s of the year is absurd. Why do native Portlanders always deny this?

3. Like I said, I used public transportation to commute to the Wells Fargo center downtown, from Beaverton. Public Transportation is bad. The max is good. Actually, the max is great. The bus system is a joke (not to mention ridiculously expensive). There's nothing more to be said about this.

4. Yes, it is lacking in diversity. However, in general I don't think most Portlanders even notice race, which is a good and bad thing I suppose. I didn't sense any kind of racism in Portland at all. We're all very accepting people.

5. Hating on Cali? Not sure I can relate to this. I've heard of people talk about this before but, I've never experienced it.

6. The smug factor? People who have grown up here don't really notice it but the way you summarized it "'I'm so much more open-minded than you are, which is why I don't listen to a thing you say." is perfect. We're very nice about it though.

7. Phoney-ness? That is subjective and I think you can find that anywhere. However, the anti-socialness is very true. It's a trait of the entire PNW.

8. I play in a local band which means I've been to subjected to these 'Hipster' types and all I will say is, I agree with you.

9. Downtown is a bore? Naw, I wouldn't go that far. I think downtown Portland is pretty cool. However the overall city? Yes, I'd agree with that. Portland is probably the most boring city on the planet. What can you do in Portland that makes it unique? Compare it to any other city and you'll see how mind numbingly dull Portland is.

10. Yes, you can't pump your own gas. It creates jobs and that is just how it is and it will never change. Sorry.

You can go ahead to disagree with me but I will have to revert to #6 and say, I am a native and I simply know what I am talking about. I have lived on both the east side, west side, and the boondocks (Newberg) and I know Portland better than the hipsters living on Hawthorn. Let's quit attacking each other on this thread because frankly, it makes Portlanders look like a bunch of close-minded A-holes and we know we are not. Be nice and agree to disagree.
 
Old 01-01-2012, 01:15 PM
 
Location: Portland, Oregon
6,959 posts, read 7,770,049 times
Reputation: 2982
My personal attitude is that exploration is wonderful but if you land where you aren't happy: move on. Just because you are unhappy doens't mean that your landing spot isn't ideal for others.

As one who once worked in HR let me add that an applicant who complains about a former boss or community is passed over because employers want people with positive attitudes and a solution oriented point of view. The OP could well face many years of disappointment where ever s/he travels.
 
Old 01-01-2012, 01:17 PM
 
1,027 posts, read 687,345 times
Reputation: 551
Quote:
Originally Posted by captaincatfish View Post
heck I just might BE one of those 'severely ethnic' people you rail on about...and I'd just love to see you come walking up my driveway on my first day in town, talking ANY of this yamma-yamma...
I don't like what he said and how he said it, but have to say he is NOT walking up your drive way or trying to, neither he wants to.... he's merely exercising the 1st amendment just like the OP.
 
Old 01-01-2012, 01:22 PM
 
1,027 posts, read 687,345 times
Reputation: 551
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nell Plotts View Post
My personal attitude is that exploration is wonderful but if you land where you aren't happy: move on. Just because you are unhappy doens't mean that your landing spot isn't ideal for others.

As one who once worked in HR let me add that an applicant who complains about a former boss or community is passed over because employers want people with positive attitudes and a solution oriented point of view. The OP could well face many years of disappointment where ever s/he travels.
Of course, the corporations want happy "positive" little slaves, looking forward to more exploitation and being grateful someone is not letting them starve while getting uber-wealthy off their labor, no doubt about that. I hope I do live to see the change.
 
Old 01-01-2012, 01:32 PM
 
Location: Pacific NW
6,415 posts, read 5,615,522 times
Reputation: 5491
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexxiz View Post
Of course, the corporations want happy "positive" little slaves, looking forward to more exploitation and being grateful someone is not letting them starve while getting uber-wealthy off their labor, no doubt about that. I hope I do live to see the change.
Oooh. Yet another "big, bad corporations" post. How unique. Stupid corporations who don't want to hire malcontent moaners.
 
Old 01-01-2012, 01:34 PM
 
1,027 posts, read 687,345 times
Reputation: 551
Quote:
Originally Posted by bockscaracer View Post

10. Yes, you can't pump your own gas. It creates jobs and that is just how it is and it will never change. Sorry.
Unfortunately, this is typical for the paths to economic failure, where US is heading full-speed. It creates jobs--but it creates the wrong type of jobs (not to mention these attendants have to breathe cancerogenic gasoline fumes all day--most of them do not realize the permanent damage that is being done to their health). By similar logic, you can have a job with a description "to sit and breathe air in and out" or "shuffle pebbles" and pay for it--this will create jobs but this won't create productive kind of jobs.
Rather, we allow pesticides in agriculture--we grow huge amounts of toxic produce this way, making it cheap and "affordable" (affordable death that is) because it requires less labor--destroy organic farming, especially small-scale farming, because it's more labor-intensive and, at the end, expensive--and create "jobs" at gas stations, rather than channeling this labor towards healthy farming practices, that are, yes, labor-intensive. How about banning all pesticides? (combined with doing away with "globalization"--want to bring toxic produce or other foods from Mexico, China, etc and compete with farmers here? Sorry, no--poison yourself if you wish.) Then, every one will have a job and the one that's not bad for health, if they're willing to work. But no, they create fake "jobs" to support non-nonsensical, toxic and self-destructive "economy".

Last edited by alexxiz; 01-01-2012 at 01:45 PM..
 
Old 01-01-2012, 01:36 PM
 
1,027 posts, read 687,345 times
Reputation: 551
Quote:
Originally Posted by EnricoV View Post
Oooh. Yet another "big, bad corporations" post. How unique. Stupid corporations who don't want to hire malcontent moaners.
I will simply ignore your replies from now on, as they tend to be repetitive statements about how something stated is not original.
 
Old 01-01-2012, 02:26 PM
 
Location: Portland, Oregon
6,959 posts, read 7,770,049 times
Reputation: 2982
Not only is what I say true for big corporations it is for small employers and non-profits as well.

Suppose the OP is an entrepreneur for a moment. Consider whether or not you would want to engage him to perform services for you? If there are choices available most people will pass on a grump.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 11:26 PM.

© 2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top