Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-01-2012, 03:19 PM

1,781 posts, read 2,680,469 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexxiz View Post
I don't like what he said and how he said it, but have to say he is NOT walking up your drive way or trying to, neither he wants to.... he's merely exercising the 1st amendment just like the OP.
And I'M exercising MY 1st Amendment rights to let him know his little attempt at being an internet snark-mouth didn't go unnoticed...and I have no beef with the OP, and as much said so in the first paragraph of my post...

I took pains to tell him (OP) that although I didn't agree with a lot of what he said, I nevertheless respected his right to say it, and I also wished him well in his travels

And to close, if he DID choose to walk up my driveway running his mouth, and I didn't want him there nor was I interested in what he had to say (the gentleman I replied to, NOT the OP), then I would be within my rights, in Portland or anywhere else, to use whatever means necessary to eject him from my property...

Portland forum, I apologize if anyone here was offended by my post, the length of my post, or any words or language deemed offensive within said post...however, I have a nasty habit of saying EXACTLY what I think (comes with being middle-aged and kinda cranky LOL)...and I do believe that's covered under the 1st Amendment

Old 01-01-2012, 04:06 PM

1,027 posts, read 1,948,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by captaincatfish View Post
And I'M exercising MY 1st Amendment rights to let him know his little attempt at being an internet snark-mouth didn't go unnoticed...and I have no beef with the OP, and as much said so in the first paragraph of my post...

I took pains to tell him (OP) that although I didn't agree with a lot of what he said, I nevertheless respected his right to say it, and I also wished him well in his travels

And to close, if he DID choose to walk up my driveway running his mouth, and I didn't want him there nor was I interested in what he had to say (the gentleman I replied to, NOT the OP), then I would be within my rights, in Portland or anywhere else, to use whatever means necessary to eject him from my property...

Portland forum, I apologize if anyone here was offended by my post, the length of my post, or any words or language deemed offensive within said post...however, I have a nasty habit of saying EXACTLY what I think (comes with being middle-aged and kinda cranky LOL)...and I do believe that's covered under the 1st Amendment
No need to apologize, certainly. It's a long way from Portland to your driveway in Ohio, just can't see that poster making it all the way to speak out and choosing your driveway as the place to do so... this is kind of far fetched scenario...

Old 01-01-2012, 04:09 PM

1,027 posts, read 1,948,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nell Plotts View Post
Not only is what I say true for big corporations it is for small employers and non-profits as well.

Suppose the OP is an entrepreneur for a moment. Consider whether or not you would want to engage him to perform services for you? If there are choices available most people will pass on a grump.
I guess my point was to do away with capitalism and fakeness/falseness that is required to exist in that system. A lot of people in PNW complain about fakeness of California, fake smiles, etc, but pretending and faking at the job interview is exactly the same (that's what most people actually do in reality, just a fact). Not everyone is positive or optimistic, which is mostly unnecessary and often ridiculous attitude (especially when you look outside the US, where people are just being real and themselves more and compare to a lot of fake "positivity" here). In fact, in some occupations (sofware engineering, computer security) pessimism is a necessary trait. In most cases, pessimism is simply a sign of a person being capable of analytical thinking. If I was hiring someone other than customer service, I'd rather hire a pessimist, who can anticipate bad outcomes and take preventative measures, rather than mindlessly expect things to go well. Also, anyone can fake positive bubbly attitude at job interview when they need to, this is way too easy so I wouldn't base hiring decisions on perceived attitude at all.
The thing is that OP isn't here to be hired.. He's simply speaking his mind--would be pretty scary to end up in society where every one would be expected to be positive and happy... when someone got a rainy day, I rather see it, not the Orange county-style perfect smile. I lot of times I see all these happey-smiley customer service employees... I wonder if they're on drugs!

Last edited by alexxiz; 01-01-2012 at 04:34 PM..

Old 01-02-2012, 03:40 AM

6,413 posts, read 12,138,742 times
Quote:
I will simply ignore your replies from now on, as they tend to be repetitive statements about how something stated is not original.
Which is your prerogative, of course. But I'm not sure you've read many of my posts, if that's your comprehension of them.

Old 01-02-2012, 12:33 PM

892 posts, read 1,592,380 times
Quote:
I guess my point was to do away with capitalism and fakeness/falseness that is required to exist in that system. A lot of people in PNW complain about fakeness of California, fake smiles, etc, but pretending and faking at the job interview is exactly the same (that's what most people actually do in reality, just a fact). Not everyone is positive or optimistic, which is mostly unnecessary and often ridiculous attitude (especially when you look outside the US, where people are just being real and themselves more and compare to a lot of fake "positivity" here). In fact, in some occupations (sofware engineering, computer security) pessimism is a necessary trait. In most cases, pessimism is simply a sign of a person being capable of analytical thinking. If I was hiring someone other than customer service, I'd rather hire a pessimist, who can anticipate bad outcomes and take preventative measures, rather than mindlessly expect things to go well. Also, anyone can fake positive bubbly attitude at job interview when they need to, this is way too easy so I wouldn't base hiring decisions on perceived attitude at all.
But a pessimist can be pleasant or be grumpy. I know I would rather spend 40/week around someone who can enjoy life than someone who just has a could hanging over them.

Old 01-03-2012, 04:23 PM

7 posts, read 12,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Opinionated View Post
Well, looks like you chuckled your way through coming across just as malicious and hateful as the op and diffused your rebuttal.

Nobody has "diffused my rebuttal."

If they did, I would smack them! Lol.

Should whiners be enabled and encouraged ... ? Yes? No?

Old 01-03-2012, 04:25 PM

7 posts, read 12,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayuso View Post
And one other thing! 99% of the time, your weather predictions are wrong here too!

I'm not hating, I'm spreading the truth. No need to be afraid.

I'm not sour neither, very elated at leaving!!! 8)
Good. Take the rest of your people with you. Lol.

Old 01-04-2012, 09:58 AM

9,961 posts, read 17,512,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoReba View Post
Good. Take the rest of your people with you. Lol.
Are your posts serious or are they some sort of over the top satire of bitter native Oregonians? lol

Old 01-04-2012, 03:11 PM

1,082 posts, read 2,402,129 times
Quote:
I mean let's be honest. It rains all the time and as a matter of fact I heard you guys only get a few weeks of actual summer time if that lol.
Quote:
And one other thing! 99% of the time, your weather predictions are wrong here too!

I'm not hating, I'm spreading the truth.
Dang, the OP has a point: It does rain all the time here, and 99% of the time, our meteorologists predict that it's going to be clear, dry, and sunny.

The truth hurts. Ouch!

Old 01-11-2012, 04:09 PM

343 posts, read 692,663 times
Quote:
Well it's official, after spending the past 3 months living here I've been trying to figure out exactly what it is that makes Portland spoken of so highly by it's residents.
It's not overcrowded, polluted, and full of lovely people like yourself.

Quote:
And I've come to a conclusion... it's overrated! for ALL I've heard about how safe it is and how it's one of the safest cities in the United States. Man oh man was whoever said that wrong. Ever since I've been here all I heard about is people disappearing, rape, theft, assault. Especially in the Northeast and Southeast
Since your tastes lean more towards staleness and mediocrity, yes I guess it is overrated. Scroll down to your comment about public transportation and "culture", then you'll know what I mean.

Quote:
I mean let's be honest. It rains all the time and as a matter of fact I heard you guys only get a few weeks of actual summer time if that lol. And yes I know rain is part of the "life" but as for me, I like my skies with a bit of blue thanks. 9 months of rainy season? forget that!
Unlike the Bay Area, Portland actually has weather. Not the ugly, depressing "gray" that sticks around from the moment you wake up til' about 2 PM. I've lived in the Bay Area for almost 25 years and I'm still not used to that.

That's summertime weather BTW.

Quote:
The public transit system is a joke. If you aren't downtown you can forget about decent service.
I have no clue how you think AC Transit, Muni or MTA (in that order) is better than TriMet. I guess you enjoy the smell of stale urine inside buses and sunflower seeds on your seat.

You have mighty fine taste, sir.

Quote:
It's severely lacking of diversity, not only does it have a history of the KKK. Everybody I spoke to said it's a bit of a hick town and to be honest I can sorta see why. What culture does it have? what culture do they associate with Portland? other than rain? I'm Samoan and it's very clear I'm out of place with the lack of diversity. It is after all "One of the whitest big cities in the nation"
Sorry but Castro Valley had its moment with the "three burning crosses" at the Neighborhood Church, not that you'd care to remember.

Whenever I point out to someone from the Bay Area how much it sucks, they always retaliate with "It's really diverse LOL!?!"

Yeah, but so is LA, NY, Seattle and PORTLAND. This is no longer a phenomena unique to the Bay Area, get over it.

Quote:
The stupid hate on Californians, let it go! whatever the housing cost grudges were over or however that feud started. It's time to move on. Are they jealous of California? they say when you fail in California you get sentenced to Portland. Maybe that is why?
You probably got that reaction because you were too busy telling everyone how much better the Bay Area is.

Quote:
The whole smug factor "'I'm so much more open-minded than you are, which is why I don't listen to a thing you say." I've encountered alot of that
Maybe because you had a lot of nothing to say.

Quote:
The phony sense of kindness. Sure by all means people are cool to ask a question to if you get lost. It's very anti social here it seems like though, people seem very afraid to step outside their safe little bubble
Real or perceived, it sure beats being looked at like an alien when you say "Hi" to someone in the Bay Area.

Quote:
The hipster culture, those who think they are the coolest thing since sliced bread. With the overly arrogant attitude in coffee shops. It's everywhere sure but a much higher concentration in Portland
Funny, because if you took away the nomenclature, you'd fit right in.

Quote:
Downtown is a total bore, as are alot of surrounding areas. What exactly do people do for fun?
Oh dear, I'm so sorry to hear Portland doesn't have Dave & Busters, In n' Out Burger, big shopping malls with blah stores to cater to your pretentious needs.

Quote:
To top it all off? you can't even pump your own gas!
It's called free Full Service, how could you not want that? You had to pay extra for in the past, and gas is about the same as in the Bay Area.

Quote:
Now you're probably asking yourselves why I decided to move here right? I was lied too. I was told it was a completely different story. A "friend" of mine told me all these great things and made it seem opposite. When I visited for a bit it seemed pretty decent. I guess some things you can only pick up on by living some place though huh?

Quote:
In just 2 months. I'm LEAVING Portland. I couldn't be happier! I'm going back to my friends! my family! in the BAY area! Where we have culture, decent weather, entertainment, variety in things to do!
By culture, decent weather, entertainment and variety in things to do, you probably mean malls, gray, depressing fog in the morning that lasts 'til noon, malls, and malls.

Quote:
GOOD public transportation and driving!
Are you sure you're not Satan's fluffer? You seem to have an affinity for all things cr@p.

Quote:
Feel free and take the obligatory shot towards California now because I have insulted your town. Just know that the main reason you guys hate. Is because you never were as good as Cali, never could have been, and never will be. So thank you Portland! for giving me life experience! it sucked sure, but hey I got to see a different part of the world for a bit! because while Portland may suck, where I come from? is Awesome!!!
Sorry but I don't see anyone waiting in line to inherit California's traffic, public transportation, prison system, education system, budget crisis and all things so "Golden" about that state.

Yeah, I didn't think so. Shut up and go back to the mall that spawned you.

Quote:
So sayonara, arrivederci,see ya later, bye! peace out! Portland! and all the lil jimmies who say it's utopia!
Don't let the door hit you... well, you know the rest, you must get that a lot!

Last edited by observer53; 01-17-2012 at 05:45 PM.. Reason: fixed quote bracketing
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland