U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 12-30-2011, 11:51 AM

11 posts, read 9,776 times

Advertisements

I'm going to be visiting Portland with my girlfriend in late January to check out Marylhurst university, as she is interested in going to grad school there. I want to make this trip somewhat of "business" trip as well as a vacation. On the trip I hope to learn enough about the area to decide if I'd want to move out to Portland or not. Also I'd like to see a few sights Portland and the surrounding area have to offer. The plan is to to be there for 4 days.

Could you please give me some advice on what I should check out? At least one day I'd like to check out potential neighborhoods, one night I'd like to check out some bars, maybe one night see some live music and one day do something outdoors related. Essentially I'd like to get a vibe for what the day in the life of a Portlander is all about. I'm also open to any other recommendations of what to do with my time in Portland.
Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2011, 01:20 AM

324 posts, read 218,493 times
Hi Coyne,

It would help to know more specifics. What kind of music do you like? Do you have any preferences for the type of neighborhood you're interested in? Are you interested in checking out the employment situation while your here as well? What do you enjoy doing for fun and entertainment? That kind of thing What are you really looking for in an area? Happy New Year and best wishes for your trip.

Old 12-31-2011, 06:13 AM

53 posts, read 120,441 times
My recommendation is don't, you like a load of rain on vacation? grey skies and a dreary town? if not stay far away.

Old 12-31-2011, 09:36 PM

6,415 posts, read 5,746,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coyne.41 View Post
I'm going to be visiting Portland with my girlfriend in late January to check out Marylhurst university, as she is interested in going to grad school there. I want to make this trip somewhat of "business" trip as well as a vacation. On the trip I hope to learn enough about the area to decide if I'd want to move out to Portland or not. Also I'd like to see a few sights Portland and the surrounding area have to offer. The plan is to to be there for 4 days.

Could you please give me some advice on what I should check out? At least one day I'd like to check out potential neighborhoods, one night I'd like to check out some bars, maybe one night see some live music and one day do something outdoors related. Essentially I'd like to get a vibe for what the day in the life of a Portlander is all about. I'm also open to any other recommendations of what to do with my time in Portland.
Thanks!
Lets see. What to recommend. First off, it isn't really the greatest time to visit. Do be prepared for rain. Which might hinder doing something outdoors.

To check out potential neighborhoods, you might want to spend some time on a website such as movingtoportland.net which has a good assessment of the different neighborhoods. Marylhurst is in the southwest suburbs, and depending on whether she intents to commute by public transport, look at the bus lines that service the school, and see what neighborhoods are a direct commute and sound like they'd suit you. If you're interested in the nightlife and bar-type scene, I'd generally say somewhere downtown or inner SE would be most to your liking.

If you don't have somewhere lined up to stay already, you might want to look at at staying somewhere like a McMenamin's property, the Ace Hotel, the Jupiter -- know several have music on-site so noise at night might be an issue. If budget is an issue, the Hawthorne Hostel or the Northwest Hostel are both good choices, and will give you a good feeling for those two neighborhoods.

As to what to do to get a flavor of Portland life ... spend some time walking around downtown. Visit Pioneer Courthouse Square, eat at a foodcart (check out Cartopia at 11th & Hawthorne for late night snacking), hang out at a coffeeshop, a brewpub. Watch a movie at the Mission Brewpub or the Baghdad. If they're in town, attend a Trailblazer game.

For your music/bar fix, check out the Portland Mercury (free) for who's playing and where, the Willamette Week both of which are weeklies you can pick up for free, or the Friday Oregonian's Arts & Entertainment Guide for more "traditional" entertainment.

For an outdoor day (depending on weather), rent bicycles and ride around Portland or further out on one of the several paths, hike in Forest Park.

If you want to get out of town for a day, two great easy day trips are to go either up the Columbia River Gorge, or go down to the coast.

Old 01-01-2012, 07:26 AM

125 posts, read 123,940 times
Stay a night at Edgefield!!

Old 01-01-2012, 09:31 AM

14,901 posts, read 18,319,462 times
When we drive down for the weekend we like to stay at the Portlander Inn.
It's a very reasonably priced motel at a truck stop, though the trucks are at the other end. Almost like a little town with restaurants and other amenities including first-run movies for about $3.

Some of the highlights for us are Powell Books, Voodoo Donuts, and the Rose Garden (wrong time of year).

The drive along the Columbia to see the many waterfalls is well worth the time, Multnomah Falls is only 1/2 hour out of town.

Multnomah Falls is a Must | Oregon
Great rooms, food & fun...All under one roof! | Jubitz Corporation

Old 01-02-2012, 07:23 PM

11 posts, read 9,776 times
Thanks for the info! I'll certainly look into all the above referenced places.
I understand it isn't the best time of year to visit but i'm coming from the midwest. its gray skies for about 8 solid months... so honestly the weather won't scare me.

Haley james,
I'm interested in many types of music: jazz, indie, jam, bluegrass, folk... genre doesn't matter, as long as the music is genuine.
fun and entertainment- i enjoy sports and outdoor activity, music and art, and patronizing at unique restaurants and pubs
neighborhoods - moderately priced for portland norms, with a population of people who are in their 20s and 30s. close to some excitement and entertainment but doesn't have to be in the heart of it all.
jobs - I may be able to transfer my job, but am considering looking for employment if we decide to move for sure. I'm an accountant and was considering getting CPA in Oregon.

What excites me about portland, from what I hear, is the nature that surrounds it. So hopefully I can make a day trip out to the coast or mountains and stay somewhere for the evening.

Old 01-03-2012, 10:18 AM

6,476 posts, read 6,365,668 times
If you have a bit of time, check out the Evergreen Air Museum/Hotel/Waterpark in McMinnville. You can do some wine tasting while you're out that way.

Ground Kontrol is an 80's themed arcade that serves beer and wine. Go do Distillery Row, or hit up one of the hundred brew pubs in town.

There is also the Oregon Zoo, Pittock Mansion, OMSI After Dark (adults only!), the Portland Art Museum, tons of antique shops and vintage shops, the greatest book store in the world.

If you head to the coast, I'd recommend heading to Seaside then looping back to Portland through Astoria, or staying the night there.

Old 01-03-2012, 01:17 PM

7,063 posts, read 7,969,595 times
Pink Martini is a Portland band, there is another group mentioned by a music critic on NPR recently.. I think they put them in the Latin/Indie genre (Y La Mamba http://www.myspace.com/ylabamba), Rebecca Kilgore is a wonderful jazz singer .. she travels a lot (Rebecca Kilgore), then there is Esperanza Spalding. We seem to develop the talent and then they leave home.. in all honesty it is tough to make a living as a musician so I wish them the best.

You will need to explore the venues to see who is performing when you are here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $89,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland