Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Have you moved from AZ to OR?
Yes move, Portland is a paradise compared to Phoenix! 1 20.00%
No stay, the rain and gray skies are worse than the Phoenix heat! 4 80.00%
Voters: 5. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2012, 03:39 PM

9 posts, read 24,113 times

Advertisements

I posted a similar thread in the Seattle forum, but I've also read a lot of great things about Portland! My wife and I can't take the AZ heat anymore. Not only that, but Phoenix is just plain depressing! It's hot, dirty, brown, violent, housing sucks, etc. The kids are quarantined to the stay inside the house during summer vacation because it's 110 by 10 am! So, I'm curious if anybody here has made the move from AZ to the PNW and how was your experience? I've been reading A LOT and it seems the main gripe with Portland is the rain (can't be worse than 115 degrees, right?) and the slower laid back lifestyle. So, has anybody made the move from AZ and can you tell me your experience or offer any advice! Thanks!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2012, 04:30 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,167,905 times
I have a couple friends that moved up here years ago from Arizona and they seem to like it here, but they are also mid to late 20s and are very much Portland hip. So they fit in here very well.

Old 01-03-2012, 08:06 AM

218 posts, read 376,643 times
My two best friends moved with their families up to Salem area last spring and would not change it for the world. Even in the summer in Oregon when it is 80 degrees they think it is so hot haha. They love the beauty, the smell of green, the schools are extremely better off than here in AZ. I too am from AZ and am moving up to Salem first then Portland in June 2012. I have already took a trip with my family and we can't wait to go back. I can not stand being in this state ( AZ ) much longer. I am dreading the first month or two of heat while I am still here.

Old 01-03-2012, 08:18 AM

1,204 posts, read 2,526,506 times
I didn't move to the Portland area, but I did live in the Eugene/Springfield area for 20 some years and now live here in Chandler, AZ.

The only thing I can say is you will be trading one weather issue for another, IMO. Yes it does get hot here for 4-5 months of the year, but in Oregon it rains a lot, so kids will be staying indoors because of the rain/snow instead of the heat. Don't get me wrong, Oregon is a beautiful state, but I just couldn't take the rain/drizzle anymore.

Old 01-03-2012, 10:36 AM
M74

46 posts, read 114,980 times
My wife, two kids and I have been working towards a relocation for about a year now. Portland is the top of the list as well as Colorado and Minneapolis. We'll see when it's time to interview.

I'll agree with Matthew79's write up of AZ. Az is different. I've been in Phoenix for 15 years. I've lived in Denver as well as Beaverton, although I was a little kid. My Mother to the day still says Oregon has the best climate. My folks hated leaving but my Dad was transfered to Colorado.

Az in my opinion has a horrible climate. AZ is like the Sirens from Homers Odyssey. It has the lure of bright sunny days all year round. People will tell you that "sure it gets up and over 110 degrees for months at a time but you get 70 degree winters." What they don't tell you is the winters are filled with extremely high pollution warnings. The air quality issue is a real problem here. As well as the obvious lack of water considering we are a desert. Someone moving from Az to Oregon will relish in the lush,wet green climate Portland has. Yes there is SAD you MIGHT have to deal with but no one tells you about what the constant heat, sun and bad air can do to ones mental health.

There is no utopia. Every state has their own pros and cons. One tends to get "the itch" to move after five years or so. To Matthew79, if you have the means and the job to do it. GO! I and everyone I know who moved there did not regret it. Good luck!

Old 01-03-2012, 03:22 PM

192 posts, read 454,419 times
We moved from Gilbert, AZ, three years ago. It was by far a vast improvement in our quality of life. I would do it again.

My kids were surprised that the kids here (in general) are nicer, less materialistic and self-centered. I was surprised that the schools here are not built like prisons. In AZ, my kids were in the advanced classes and still hardly had to put any effort into school. Here, they are being challenged. If by chance you have a child with a life-threatening allergy, the schools here are a utopia compared to metro Phoenix. My kids don't spend much more time outside than in AZ, but I feel safe letting them walk around the neighborhood or go to the park when they do.

In AZ, I thought, "I love the rain! Moving to PNW will be perfect!" Turns out I was wrong about that. It is comparing apples to oranges. SAD has turned out to be serious problem for me. The only things I miss about AZ are having sunny mornings and the dramatic, electric thunderstorms.

Old 01-03-2012, 09:38 PM

59 posts, read 136,857 times
I've gotta say that this is definitely one of those issues where YMMV. Hard to say how any individual will react, as they are indeed two different extremes.

Personally, I moved here in May of '09 after having lived in Phoenix and Tucson for a combined 23 years, haven't looked back since. In fact, the one and only trip back I made in '10 reminded me why I left. I greatly prefer the people, scenery and general atmosphere here.

On the other hand, I find that I miss the simple grid system and freeways in Phoenix. Here, one often feels like they have to take a very roundabout way to get anywhere and it is very easy to get lost. I also have struggled with the lack of light due to the short days in the winter. SAD is a very real phenomenon.

As one poster said, it is a matter of balancing the pros and cons--it is by no means some kind of utopia. For me, the winters have had a definite effect on my mood, which has been my biggest challenge. I stay because I feel it is outweighed by the positive aspects.

Old 01-06-2012, 12:16 PM

1,082 posts, read 1,912,107 times
We are moving from the Phoenix/East Valley area in the next month or so. The weather is actually a big part of it. I do like the sunshine and heat, but when it's over 100 for 3+ months a year, that's time my kids can't go outside and play. They can play in the rain and wear coats, but there isn't much you can do for heat exhaustion when they're pretty small (mine are 1 and 4). Another reason is to have more local options for higher education. The local tuition is getting out of hand because of state budget cuts and the education is not worth what ASU is charging. It's nice that Portland has several options for public and private higher ed.

I really like that the metro area is geographically smaller with more...how should I say it...interesting physical elements locally? like hills, rivers, forest, etc. There is not strip mall after strip mall, it's not a concrete jungle like it is here in AZ. I will not miss the brown cloud.

The schools are better in Portland, especially on the west side + suburbs. I work in education here in AZ, and it's kind of depressing. we have a lot of race/immigrant/discrimination issues here that play out with the schools/quality; the issue in portland is not as pronounced because they don't have the same diversity. the lack of diversity by itself is a negative IMO.

The other reason we were looking to leave AZ is the political scene here is such a joke. I'm tired of the LDS politicians creating ultra conservative legislation when the vast majority of the residents here do not share their beliefs.

Everyone keeps saying how the job market is not good in Portland, but from my point of view there are more jobs available there than here, at least for what I do. So either I'm in the right field and/or our economy in AZ is so bad that just about anywhere else is an improvement. I am worried about the possiblity of SAD, but I intend on staying very busy and hopefully it will leave me alone

Old 01-06-2012, 04:01 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,437,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by christiner81 View Post
We are moving from the Phoenix/East Valley area in the next month or so. The weather is actually a big part of it. I do like the sunshine and heat, but when it's over 100 for 3+ months a year, that's time my kids can't go outside and play. They can play in the rain and wear coats, but there isn't much you can do for heat exhaustion when they're pretty small (mine are 1 and 4). Another reason is to have more local options for higher education. The local tuition is getting out of hand because of state budget cuts and the education is not worth what ASU is charging. It's nice that Portland has several options for public and private higher ed.

I really like that the metro area is geographically smaller with more...how should I say it...interesting physical elements locally? like hills, rivers, forest, etc. There is not strip mall after strip mall, it's not a concrete jungle like it is here in AZ. I will not miss the brown cloud.

Sadly, many of the Portland suburbs have become exactly that way. You will probably be happier sticking either to the city or the more wealthier burbs like Lake Oswego. The SW side as you mentioned is also good for what you are looking for.

The schools are better in Portland, especially on the west side + suburbs. I work in education here in AZ, and it's kind of depressing. we have a lot of race/immigrant/discrimination issues here that play out with the schools/quality; the issue in portland is not as pronounced because they don't have the same diversity. the lack of diversity by itself is a negative IMO.

Much of Portland's schools are pretty mediocre but you are correct in saying the the West side and some of the suburbs are better. Of course there some exceptions. The more upscale NE and SE side of Portland have better schools but you should be careful in determining which district your children will be in because the district lines seem to change a lot.

The other reason we were looking to leave AZ is the political scene here is such a joke. I'm tired of the LDS politicians creating ultra conservative legislation when the vast majority of the residents here do not share their beliefs.

We have our share of screwy politicians too. Our Mayor leaves a lot to be desired. Sometimes some of the ultra liberal decisions can be just as annoying as the ultra conservative.

Everyone keeps saying how the job market is not good in Portland, but from my point of view there are more jobs available there than here, at least for what I do. So either I'm in the right field and/or our economy in AZ is so bad that just about anywhere else is an improvement. I am worried about the possiblity of SAD, but I intend on staying very busy and hopefully it will leave me alone

Hopefully your line of work will allow you to find a job. There is a lot of
competition in most fields except for the very extraordinary ones like high tech or medical.

Keeping busy is not a cure for SAD but there are medical treatments you can seek if you find you have it.
Please believe me I am not trying to discourage you in moving here. It's just that whenever people post about the things they want to get away from where they are, I fear they may not be taking into consideration that those things in one form or another may exist in the place they think will be very different.

From what I am reading in your posts, I think the suburbs will suit you more than Portland. The weather will be the same of course but schools and ambience will be more in line with the physical conditions you are trying to get away from.

Best of luck to you.

Old 01-06-2012, 06:52 PM

28,090 posts, read 29,943,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by christiner81 View Post
I'm tired of the LDS politicians creating ultra conservative legislation when the vast majority of the residents here do not share their beliefs.
Why do the majority of the residents keep voting the LDS politicians in? Seems like the problem ought to be relatively easily solved if, in fact, you are actually talking about the majority.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland