U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 09-01-2007, 02:31 AM

390 posts, read 604,260 times

Advertisements

Hi peeps.
I was just wondering... I hear a lot of people say that the constant rain
in Oregon causes their old injuries. ie: Broken bones /metal plates or artritis
to act up. When I reasearch that subject it says that it is a myth that rain
causes flair ups for these ailements. Has any here experienced this.? And if so
is it unbarable.? How do you deal with it.? Does any one have old injurys that
you havent notice being more painful since you have been in Oregon if you
moved to Oregon from some where else.

Thanks...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2007, 07:31 AM

836 posts, read 1,207,086 times
Talked to a rheumatologist, no (scientific) weather related basis for additional aches or pains due to climate. That being said, living outside the Willamette valley in Oregon (far east Oregon) I felt much better than in Portland. I now reside in Texas and I have far less bad days with joint pain. I am sure a lot of it is your personal outlook on life, but an achy day in the drizzle was a bit much at times.

Squidlo

Old 09-04-2007, 08:08 PM

390 posts, read 604,260 times
Thank you for your reply I was starting to think that my thread
was invisible.
That little bit helped. Thanxs

Old 09-11-2007, 07:08 AM

12 posts, read 35,025 times
Lightbulb Aches In The NW

Having lived in Oregon the vast majority of my life and traveled around the US by car I can tell you about aches and pains while living in the Willamette Valley and not so many living in San Antonio.

At the age of 5, I was diagnosed with juvenile rheumatoid arthritis and have been part of many studies conducted up at OHSU and not that they have shared any of their findings with me or anything --I have gathered some of my own theories and they aren't 100% tried and true but they do seem to make sense to a lot of people.

The physicians assistant to my rheumatologist has tried to tell me that weather has no effect on my arthritis. OK, maybe not the rain, the snow, the hail, or the sunshine directly but the barometric pressure involved in all of these types of weather has a great deal of bearing on my aches and pains.
The first day the weather changes to supper sunny and nice, I hurt like a SOB, the first day it changes to rain and biblical flooding, I hurt like a SOB, 1 foot of snow (yes it has happened in my lifetime in the Willamette Valley) I hurt the first day like a SOB, the common thread of that is the shift in the barometric pressure.

I have since relocated to San Antonio and we do have rain here, at least this year we've had more than our fair share according to the locals and we've had plenty of sun and I have ached a few times. I took direct notice to what the barometer was doing and it seemed to strangely coincide with a major drop/rise with the barometric pressure.

One other theory I have noticed too after talking to many arthritic people is that the tend to hurt more where the onset of their arthritis is, so it's not living in the valley that is bad for all people.
My own case, I'd travel east of the cascade range to Central or Eastern Oregon/Washington and I'd feel GREAT!! Go back home to the other side of the mountains and I ache and feel years older, instantly! Then another older lady I met, she lived in LaGrande and was quite arthritic, she'd go to her daughters place in Sweet Home, Oregon (the rainiest place in the valley because the clouds have to dump a lot of rain sometimes to get over the cascade range) and she'd feel great there.
Maybe it's the mood, maybe it's the *weather* of where the onset of the affliction started, who knows....
Those are just two of my own theories I have been mulling over in the 30 years of rheumatoid arthritis *suffering*.

~Katchya

Old 09-11-2007, 08:08 AM

290 posts, read 846,276 times
My wife's best friend has rheumatoid arthritis. In the mid 90s moved to just outside of Seattle from the Dallas Texas area. She lived there for few years and moved back to texas exactly because of the weather. For some reason, even though she loved the PNW, the weather was causing her to ache. In Texas she doesn't feel as bad.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland