Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2012, 12:05 AM

19 posts, read 177,301 times

Advertisements

My understanding is that solid red light means that one can stop and make a right turn when it is safe, but red arrow means that one have to wait for right turns. But almost every time I stop in the lane, people in the other lane just makes right turns. And for many times, people behind me ring the horns to let me go.

Is my understanding wrong?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2012, 10:03 AM

638 posts, read 1,178,307 times
From the Oregon Driver Manual:

A red arrow means STOP. Stop and
remain stopped, except for allowed turns on red. The same
turns allowed for a steady red signal are allowed for a red
arrow.

When entering a two-way street, you may cautiously turn
right, after stopping for the red light. You may make this
right turn unless a sign or police officer tells you not to turn
against the red light. Yield to pedestrians, bicyclists, and
traffic in the intersection.
When entering a one-way street, you may cautiously turn
right or left in the direction of traffic, after stopping for the
red light. Yield, if needed.

Old 01-10-2012, 10:16 AM

3,040 posts, read 4,998,605 times
If the intersection is marked "No turn on red" you are not allowed to make the turn, if it isn't marked you can make the turn as long as it is safe to do so.

Old 01-10-2012, 01:21 PM

6,413 posts, read 12,138,742 times
I looked in the driver manual, but couldn't find anything stating this, but ... I am positive that five or so years back, they changed (or maybe clarified) the law. What the case is, if there is no way to go but the turn - you may not turn on the red.

The two places I encounter this the most are at SE Holgate turning onto McLouglin, and at SE Hawthorne, turning onto 12th (to jog over to Madison). On Hawthorne, they did put up the "No turn on Red" signs. Holgate doesn't have one. People still turn on the red though. But I'm sure it's not a legal turn. But like I said, I can't find law that says that.

My rule of thumb is, better safe than sorry. So I don't turn on the red.

Old 01-10-2012, 02:36 PM

343 posts, read 692,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kvon View Post
My understanding is that solid red light means that one can stop and make a right turn when it is safe, but red arrow means that one have to wait for right turns. But almost every time I stop in the lane, people in the other lane just makes right turns. And for many times, people behind me ring the horns to let me go.

Is my understanding wrong?
It is not, you are correct sir. Generally speaking unless a sign tells you otherwise, you must stop at a red arrow.

As for the people honking their horn, if you violate the light, who gets the ticket? You do.

I know it's hard, but ignore the honking and stay put until it's green.

Last edited by ramedud; 01-10-2012 at 03:14 PM..

Old 01-14-2012, 08:09 PM

19 posts, read 177,301 times
If right arrow means absolutely the same as solid red light, why letting both exist in the first hand? Am I the only person who got confused?

Old 01-14-2012, 08:28 PM

343 posts, read 692,663 times
They aren't the same. Green turn arrows allow protected turns because it gives you the right of way. A turn on a solid green light is unprotected, because you have to wait until all the opposing traffic goes through.

Unprotected left turns are the most dangerous turns you can make in traffic.

Last edited by ramedud; 01-14-2012 at 08:41 PM..

Old 01-14-2012, 09:52 PM

Quote:
If right arrow means absolutely the same as solid red light, why letting both exist in the first hand? Am I the only person who got confused?
I think it's because if you have a green arrow (which is a protected turn) then you need to have it turn yellow and then red, and you can't change the shape of the light.

Old 01-14-2012, 10:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by doggiemama View Post
I think it's because if you have a green arrow (which is a protected turn) then you need to have it turn yellow and then red, and you can't change the shape of the light.
Wait...that doesn't make sense.....I don't know!

Old 01-15-2012, 07:00 PM

6,413 posts, read 12,138,742 times
Quote:
I believe that the right/left red arrow exists only where that's the only way the road goes -- a lane in which you have to turn. A solid red light, you might proceed straight through the intersection or turn right (if it's the right-hand lane).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland