Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2012, 02:42 PM

30 posts, read 54,751 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmalvern View Post
Question for XTIMX, whose first response was so helpful: You suggest checking-in early (at Portland Amtrak), so how early should we get there? We could arrive 2-hours in advance if necessary, and perhaps grab a quick lunch locally having checked-in the bags. What I did not say is that, after the Vancouver cruise, we are then blowing all our frequent-flyer miles by going on to Hong Kong, where my daughter lives. So, we will have a lot of baggage, BUT well within the Amtrak limit
That would be a good idea. They will accept checked bags for later trains as soon as the station opens which is I think 7am? 6:30am? Even if you have some bags you aren't gonna check but don't want to carry them around while you get food they will watch them for you for a few bucks. There are some good places to eat nearby in the Pearl.
The Coast Starlight is due in at 1:50pm but train #501 is due at 11am.
If you show up around noon to drop off your bags you should be fine since everyone from 501 will have picked up their bags already and they should be done putting the baggage on train 506 (the 12:15 departure). Drop off your bags, get your seat assignment and then you're set. Show back up to the station at about 2:30, board the train and you're good to go.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2012, 11:01 AM

6 posts, read 21,531 times
That's very helpful, Nell. We are returning a rental car to Avis, 330 S.w. Washington Street, and are staying the night before at Residence Inn,Lloyd Center 1710 NE Multnomah Street. I suspect we will drive to the station in the morning, dump the bags (if we can, hence the question about check-in times), and then dump the rental car, if necessary taking a cab back to the station. It's good that we don't leave until 2.50 pm, so it should be quite relaxed. Yes, an "eatery" near Avis would be great, and I guess I can get them to call a cab for us if it's too far to walk back to Amtrak.

Old 02-02-2012, 11:05 AM

Just read XTIMX's reply: Hadn't noticed it before. Thanks a lot for the wise advice. UK train stations are nothing like as accommodating as Amtrak! For instance, you cannot check baggage in advance at all, except Eurostar that goes into Europe.

Old 02-02-2012, 12:20 PM

10,990 posts, read 20,562,477 times
Avis's downtown garage is at 330 SW Washington, Portland, OR. The entrance to their garage is on SW 3rd (that same building), if memory serves me correctly. You park the car in one of their designated spots, lock it up and bring your car keys with you to a dinky little office on Washington. The people are nice, we have rented a car from Avis and husband returned it to that same office. Don't get there just as they open because it takes them about 30 minutes to sort out the day's commitments (unless of course you are trying to avoid an extra day's rental fee so you just show up as meets your needs and wait for them to do their thing). If you are returning your car on a Sat or Sun be sure to verify the office hours.

The MAX light rail yellow line will take you to the train station (aka Union Station, Amtrak Station - it is our only train station). Going from the city center to Amtrak it will be operating on 6th. No need to call a taxi. Downtown & the Amtrak station is in the free rail zone. There is some talk of eliminating this zone to increase revenue. If that zone is eliminated you will need a zone 1 fare. You can buy a ticket at a vending machine at any light rail stop.

After you have turned in your car walk west on Washington, turn south (left) on 6th and walk 2 blocks to Pioneer Courthouse Square. Trimet, our public transit agency, has an office there where you can pick up a Yellow line and streetcar (mentioned later) schedule.

I am retired and don't eat out a lot but there are two popular places for the shopping crowd: Nordstrom (a major retailer with a store just to the west of Pioneer Courthouse Square) has a cafe that offers good value but it can get crowded; the food court in the basement of Pioneer Place (a mall one block east of Pioneer Courthouse Square).

You may have time before lunch to explore a bit. The easiest way to visit the Rose Garden (park, not arena) is to drive there after leaving your luggage, then turn in your car.

Powell's bookstore is a walkable distance from Pioneer Courthouse Square or you can jump on light rail on Morrison, get off at 10th & walk about 4 blocks north. From there you can get to Amtrak by catching the streetcar on Sw 10th, getting of at Marshall street and walking east about 2 blocks to the train tracks, the train station is a couple blocks north.

One fun & unique experience would be to take the streetcar south on SW 11th to its terminus, then take the tram to OHSU (medical school) and back. My only concern with this journey is that you are completely dependent on transit schedules.

Last edited by Nell Plotts; 02-02-2012 at 12:31 PM..

Old 02-02-2012, 08:05 PM

6,413 posts, read 12,142,138 times
As far as food goes, across the street from Avis, at 3rd & Washington, is a cart pod. You'll have selection of many different kinds of foods there, and get to experience some of Portland's famous food carts (if you hadn't already).

Old 02-02-2012, 10:45 PM

113 posts, read 216,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nell Plotts View Post
Avis's downtown garage is at 330 SW Washington, Portland, OR. The entrance to their garage is on SW 3rd (that same building), if memory serves me correctly. You park the car in one of their designated spots, lock it up and bring your car keys with you to a dinky little office on Washington. The people are nice, we have rented a car from Avis and husband returned it to that same office. Don't get there just as they open because it takes them about 30 minutes to sort out the day's commitments (unless of course you are trying to avoid an extra day's rental fee so you just show up as meets your needs and wait for them to do their thing). If you are returning your car on a Sat or Sun be sure to verify the office hours.

The MAX light rail yellow line will take you to the train station (aka Union Station, Amtrak Station - it is our only train station). Going from the city center to Amtrak it will be operating on 6th. No need to call a taxi. Downtown & the Amtrak station is in the free rail zone. There is some talk of eliminating this zone to increase revenue. If that zone is eliminated you will need a zone 1 fare. You can buy a ticket at a vending machine at any light rail stop.

After you have turned in your car walk west on Washington, turn south (left) on 6th and walk 2 blocks to Pioneer Courthouse Square. Trimet, our public transit agency, has an office there where you can pick up a Yellow line and streetcar (mentioned later) schedule.

I am retired and don't eat out a lot but there are two popular places for the shopping crowd: Nordstrom (a major retailer with a store just to the west of Pioneer Courthouse Square) has a cafe that offers good value but it can get crowded; the food court in the basement of Pioneer Place (a mall one block east of Pioneer Courthouse Square).

You may have time before lunch to explore a bit. The easiest way to visit the Rose Garden (park, not arena) is to drive there after leaving your luggage, then turn in your car.

Powell's bookstore is a walkable distance from Pioneer Courthouse Square or you can jump on light rail on Morrison, get off at 10th & walk about 4 blocks north. From there you can get to Amtrak by catching the streetcar on Sw 10th, getting of at Marshall street and walking east about 2 blocks to the train tracks, the train station is a couple blocks north.

One fun & unique experience would be to take the streetcar south on SW 11th to its terminus, then take the tram to OHSU (medical school) and back. My only concern with this journey is that you are completely dependent on transit schedules.
I've done many of the things you describe here on my recent visit. If research on directions and protocols are done in advance, I think they could pull this off without stressing about the timeline. When you describe the "food court" are you referring to the food carts? May be good to mention this is street food, but outstanding quality and wonderful variety. That was a highlight for sure.

Old 02-05-2012, 03:18 AM

892 posts, read 2,392,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by catharsis View Post
I've done many of the things you describe here on my recent visit. If research on directions and protocols are done in advance, I think they could pull this off without stressing about the timeline. When you describe the "food court" are you referring to the food carts? May be good to mention this is street food, but outstanding quality and wonderful variety. That was a highlight for sure.
It's pretty clearly stated that the food court in question is the one in the basement of the Pioneer Place shopping mall, which is all chain fast food not street carts...but the street carts in this town do sell some amazing cuisine. I'd much rather eat "on the street" than underneath it in the bottom of a mall. If one wants inexpensive-but-amazing eats in a more traditional sit down environment, Violetta is adjacent one block away.

Old 03-03-2012, 09:59 AM

Thanks to all of you who have given me some good advice. Apologies for delay in this note: I have only just discovered I need to click on "page 2": you must think me most ungrateful! The street carts sound very intriguing, and presumably we could buy some take-away "chow" we could then eat on the train.

Although Jane and I have done a lot of travelling in US and Europe, I still think its worth doing a lot of homework in advance, just in case we get stressed out with deadlines on the day!

Old 03-03-2012, 01:42 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,442,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by khyron View Post
It's pretty clearly stated that the food court in question is the one in the basement of the Pioneer Place shopping mall, which is all chain fast food not street carts...but the street carts in this town do sell some amazing cuisine. I'd much rather eat "on the street" than underneath it in the bottom of a mall. If one wants inexpensive-but-amazing eats in a more traditional sit down environment, Violetta is adjacent one block away.
It isn't quite all chain fast food. I haven't been there in about a year but I do remember a pizza place, Japanese and Greek restaurants that were locally owned and not chain fast food.

But this would not be my preferred place to eat downtown.

Old 03-05-2012, 06:07 PM

314 posts, read 487,109 times
You will love the Cascade train. Its so beautiful. It crosses the Columbia, passes through the hills of Washington, past the sound, through Seattle and through some very picturesque scenery. I took the Starlight from California to Seattle then the Cascade train to Vancouver. The Portland Amtrak station is in a pretty spot right by one of the rivers (Williamette, right?) flowing into the Columbia.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland