U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 02-01-2012, 10:31 AM

14 posts, read 9,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doggiemama View Post
I think you're probably atypical, but then again, Texas heat can melt a person's brain
hi doggiemama! are you from Austin too...I was just reading some threads about people moving to Austin...it is fascinating how diff we all are. BTW, my doggie LOVES it here...not allergies or skin probs or constant scratching....I love that I can drive one hour and go skiing or to a beautiful coast. Growing up near Galveston makes you really appreciate a gorgeous coastline!
Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2012, 11:20 AM

7,768 posts, read 7,539,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sendintheclouds View Post
I have been disappointed with how warm it is here in Portland....and the summer was awful with those looooong sunny days. I don't think I can do another summer here! Winter has been disappointing as it is too sunny and not cold. I wish it would rain more, but I must be here during a dry year. I moved here last April and spring was terrific...
You ARE being facetious and joking, right???

Old 02-01-2012, 11:24 AM

385 posts, read 226,749 times
they must be from the northern part of the seattle metro, thats where it rains the most

Old 02-01-2012, 01:11 PM

676 posts, read 611,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sendintheclouds View Post
just checking out cita data again after a while. I moved here from Austin TX back in April...I will preface what I have to say with "I am a freak" about weather: I have been disappointed with how warm it is here in Portland....and the summer was awful with those looooong sunny days. I don't think I can do another summer here! Winter has been disappointing as it is too sunny and not cold. I wish it would rain more, but I must be here during a dry year. I moved here last April and spring was terrific...had to wait til the END of October for nice fall like temps...but not nearly as dark & overcast as I would like...BUT, to be positive, a thousand times better than living in Texas (where I lived for 40 years)...the only time I have been truly happy with weather was when I worked Antarctic contracts at Winfly season with the twilight and below zero temps....a friend says I came out of the womb to early! I can't figure out how to subscribe to these threads so don't see responses til I log on again!
As I type this, it's about -30 in Fairbanks & they only have about 6 hours of daylight this time of year. Perhaps you should consider wintering up there - sounds like it might be more up yuor alley.

For me - I'm absolutely delighting in this weather. Yet another "Hoodie day" (where you can see Mt. Hood on the drive home), as my wife & I like to call it.

Old 02-01-2012, 01:38 PM

606 posts, read 492,404 times
Hi, sendintheclouds-- We moved here from Austin but I'm originally from Houston. No tar balls on your feet walking on Oregon beaches! Our doggie is happy here, too. Her eyes don't get gunky and her skin isn't as dry.

Old 02-01-2012, 02:18 PM

606 posts, read 492,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderbygrace View Post
For me - I'm absolutely delighting in this weather. Yet another "Hoodie day" (where you can see Mt. Hood on the drive home), as my wife & I like to call it.
We say "The mountains are out!"

Old 02-02-2012, 10:01 AM

226 posts, read 128,882 times
Looks like I picked an off year to ask about the Winter up there! I was just reading an article about how winter has been extremely mild for most of the lower 48 this year. Even though we are known for sunny warm weather down here in my neck of the woods, this winter feels more like early fall. I am longing for some cool wet weather darn it. Last month we only had a total of 1 inch of rain....that's it! Here is our upcoming forcast for the next 2 weeks:

Today-68 mostly sunny
2/3 - 71 mostly sunny
2/4 - 75 partly sunny
2/5 - 72 partly sunny
2/6 - 70 partly cloudy
2/7 - 61 mostly cloudy
2/8 - 63 partly cloudy
2/9 - 78 sunny (WTH)
2/10 - 70 mostly cloudy
2/11 - 58 rain
2/12 - 65 partly sunny
2/13 - 64 mostly sunny
2/14 - 62 mostly cloudy
2/15 - 60 partly cloudy
2/16 - 66 mostly sunny

Ok...so normally I would say this is nice mild weather...not too hot and not too cold. However for Winter, this is crazy! I want seasons darn it. And we REALLY need some rain. I'll gladly trade houses with one of you lucky Portlanders for the rest of winter

Old 02-02-2012, 07:06 PM

7,882 posts, read 9,575,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PNWdreamin View Post
Looks like I picked an off year to ask about the Winter up there! I was just reading an article about how winter has been extremely mild for most of the lower 48 this year. Even though we are known for sunny warm weather down here in my neck of the woods, this winter feels more like early fall. I am longing for some cool wet weather darn it. Last month we only had a total of 1 inch of rain....that's it! Here is our upcoming forcast for the next 2 weeks:

Today-68 mostly sunny
2/3 - 71 mostly sunny
2/4 - 75 partly sunny
2/5 - 72 partly sunny
2/6 - 70 partly cloudy
2/7 - 61 mostly cloudy
2/8 - 63 partly cloudy
2/9 - 78 sunny (WTH)
2/10 - 70 mostly cloudy
2/11 - 58 rain
2/12 - 65 partly sunny
2/13 - 64 mostly sunny
2/14 - 62 mostly cloudy
2/15 - 60 partly cloudy
2/16 - 66 mostly sunny

Ok...so normally I would say this is nice mild weather...not too hot and not too cold. However for Winter, this is crazy! I want seasons darn it. And we REALLY need some rain. I'll gladly trade houses with one of you lucky Portlanders for the rest of winter
La Nina ...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland