Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2012, 12:39 AM

5,458 posts, read 8,176,344 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnricoV View Post
I have lots of high-school, or recently graduated, family in the area. None of them, nor any of their friends that I know of, dropped out. I think the statistics might bear closer inspection.
Because a woman in Portland Oregon doesn't personally know of any dropouts the statistics must be inspected more closely?? I don't think it's going to happen.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2012, 09:22 AM

10,990 posts, read 20,562,477 times
My nephew (Caucasian) would have been included as a 'drop out', he quit high school, enrolled in community college, and received a 2-yr degree. The 'problem' with Oregon is that many students have that option. High schools aren't offering programs suitable for many students.

Portland PS Superintendent proposed closing Benson a couple years ago. What on earth was she thinking? In my youth high schools offered automotive and shop classes. Often those were regarded as 'dumb bell' programs but that is where many learned that mathematics had practical application. Many professors of engineering are now saying that experiential learning produces the best engineers. We need two Bensons!

One way to determine whether or not this is an issue is the census educational attainment data.

Old 11-30-2012, 07:50 PM

5,147 posts, read 7,475,967 times
We live in an age where politics and sports have reduced the social prestige of education. Families are now the main reason kids stay in school and succeed. Society at large has defaulted. Not like in the 50's where education was not yet a political football.

Old 11-30-2012, 07:59 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,442,276 times
But Benson has been divided up to keep students in other high schools according to this.

Portland Tribune and Community Newspapers - Don't gut Benson's valuable training programs

Old 12-01-2012, 02:53 AM

347 posts, read 669,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beenhere4ever View Post
We live in an age where politics and sports have reduced the social prestige of education. Families are now the main reason kids stay in school and succeed. Society at large has defaulted. Not like in the 50's where education was not yet a political football.
Families have always been the main reason kids stayed in school. Kids are dropping out of school now because families today are messed up and getting worse.

Old 12-01-2012, 12:35 PM

5,458 posts, read 8,176,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EnricoV View Post
Why not? I want to know ... Does it take into account students who graduate early. Students who opt for a GED? Other factors.
If you want to know these things you should read the article again.

Pay special attention to what the report is about (hint: 4 year graduation rates).

If you read carefully, you will find that your two questions are already answered.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland