U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Thanksgiving Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2012, 05:07 PM

381 posts, read 468,515 times

Advertisements

Please keep the politics down to a dull roar, thanks in advance.

I've traveled "locked down" systems as well as completely open ones. The result? Meh.

The best-run one in that regard that I've seen thus far is BART (San Francisco - usually SFO to near the Moscone Center and back), where you don't get anywhere near the trains if you're minus a ticket or pass. OTOH, it's not at all intrusive.

I do agree that the monthly rates are nowhere near worth the price, especially as it doesn't address the concept of commuters not using the thing on weekends.

As for "executive salaries"? They're governmental employees... I don't really forsee them raking in cash at Sam Adams' level, let alone Steve Jobs'.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2012, 06:34 PM

43 posts, read 48,418 times
FYI: Trimets CEo makes 215k a year, saw it in the oregonian. Is he worth that much?he isnot doing a good job (if he was trymet would'nt have these probs!!!) PAy him based on his preformance!
He should take a 50% cut!!!!!!!hmmmmm.......
MAyor Sam makes about 100k. Look at a post earler about city saladeries.

Old 02-10-2012, 06:44 PM

6,477 posts, read 6,215,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Random_Walk View Post

I do agree that the monthly rates are nowhere near worth the price, especially as it doesn't address the concept of commuters not using the thing on weekends.
A lot of companies are able to get reduced tickets for their employees. I'm not sure who pays for it, or if it's a kick back to the company via taxes. But I take advantage of that all the time.

Old 02-10-2012, 06:55 PM

868 posts, read 1,358,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hamellr View Post
A lot of companies are able to get reduced tickets for their employees. I'm not sure who pays for it, or if it's a kick back to the company via taxes. But I take advantage of that all the time.
How this works and who pays for what and how much is very transparently explained here:

TriMet: Employer Transit Pass Programs

Old 02-10-2012, 07:07 PM

868 posts, read 1,358,836 times
It would seem that many, many of the questions being asked in this thread are due to folks not actually reading the content that the OP linked to. I would encourage folks to actually click this link...

TriMet: Why is there a budget shortfall?

...and read all of the information that's been well presented there. It's pretty obvious a great deal of effort went into distilling it all into an easily digestible format. You're also encouraged to provide feedback and ideas through that minisite, and at the end of the presentation you're provided the exact details of several public meetings in convenient locations all across the region which you can attend in person this month to make your concerns known (or provide different suggestions for solutions).

Transit is an essential part of any successful metropolitan region, transit is expensive, politics are complicated and cumbersome, unions exist and must be dealt with, and there are no short, simple, catchphrase or talking point solutions to any of this.

I encourage anyone who has looked at all the facts and numbers who has great ideas on how to handle all this to actually, you know, participate in the process that's been made so accessible to you. Be a citizen.

Old 02-10-2012, 07:19 PM

9,976 posts, read 7,287,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by drum bro View Post
the ridership isnt going to go up on buss 33, last time i was on it i think we broke the record of most packed buss
Every time I ride the 4 to work in the morning that bus is standing room only with people sometimes turned away before we get to the Rose Garden. Of course this after they cut back the number of buses on that route(and the 44).

Old 02-10-2012, 07:31 PM

13,544 posts, read 10,506,035 times
One reason I entitled my thread as "Here we go, again and again" is because this type of thing has been presented many times before in the past but not as succinctly. There is an article on this in Thursday's Portland Tribune that also outlines the proposals.

As Khyron said, it's always a good idea to participate in these types of surveys to give Trimet what feedback on the proposed ideas.

Old 02-11-2012, 12:03 PM

829 posts, read 1,188,170 times
The facts concerning tri-mets budget.

(http://trimet.org/pdfs/publications/...ted-budget.pdf)

As far as automobiles being subsidized VS public transit it is not even a close comparison. Public transportation is limited. Road infrastructure carries more than people. Most of the food you eat and the clothing you wear, almost everything around you was carried in a truck. The people who use the roads pay for them and pay for the public transport as well. I only pointed out the fact that if you love public transportation someone else is picking up the tab.

Old 02-11-2012, 01:35 PM

636 posts, read 868,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
Actually while you are at it, care to back up your claims on how much is subsidized from auto users. I am curious where you got your 20% and 70% numbers from.
"While I am at it?" I wasn't the one who made the original claim, it was davemess10 who said:

Quote:
yes TRIMET is subsidized, but auto transport is also heavily subsidized, with vehicle and gas taxes barely making a dent in infrastructure costs
That's a pretty ambitious claim (and I've still seen nothing to back it up). The most recent discussion I had on this topic was with a former Trimet administrator who gave me those numbers. Looks like others have posted the Trimet budget, but I did a quick Google search and tried to find an even-handed report and came up with this:

Are Roads and Highways Subsidized ?

I'm not trying to argue this one way or another, it's been argued to death elsewhere and there are other factors to consider besides the direct subsidy. But distorting facts (if they are indeed distorted) isn't helpful to the discussion, so that's why I asked for clarification (and I didn't outright say he was wrong, I worded my reply very carefully and, I thought, politely).

Old 02-11-2012, 03:30 PM

5,682 posts, read 4,545,667 times
Of course mass transportation is subsidized. Heavily. Even in NYC with a ridership of millions... per day!... fares do not cover the costs without subsidy. And? When it is fully grasped just how much of an advantage it is to have a transit system so well funded that people will actually use it it will be funded even more. One day, mass transit will be FREE, or nearly so. There is no earthly reason why that premise is far fetched.

H
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland