Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2012, 09:46 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,052,752 times

Advertisements

Quote:
"People have given their consent. Every single person in this state chooses to live here. We all then choose our elected officials who have the power to change tax structures."

That's a dodge. Put it up for a direct public vote, like numerous other taxes do. Only then will you see what kind of support it would get.

I assure you, that I chose to live here not out of any love for taxation, or for Multnomah County's flavor of politics.
So we should be more like California? You know anything can be brought up to a vote there? So basically in Cali they can vote for anything to be taxed if there are enough signatures which when you let voters decide how the tax system should work without giving them full involvement where money is going you would be left with people passing or voting down taxes left and right....and lets say no one likes taxes and we just vote them all away....then how would we pay for anything? You gonna lend a hand paving my street because we took that away from the city....seriously, do you know how cities function or do you just think they are here to take your money?

Quote:
"I think you are having a problem understanding that everything is connected, and you can't get one thing without something else happening. It's the same with the income inequality problem now (Those CEO's are making millions because they're exploiting someone by paying them low wages at the bottom of the ladder). We live in an interwoven society, where people pay for other people (directly or indirectly). "

I think you assume a bit too much; I am fully aware of the interconnections. In fact, I keep pointing out the consequences of codifying an enforced social contract (as opposed to voluntarily participating in one), which got cleanly ignored.

As for what CEO's make? Class warfare doesn't belong here.
Funny you say class warfare doesn't belong here when it involves the rich, but feel free to crap on the poor and call them entitled? I think you also bring up class warfare, you just aren't willing to admit that talking about the poor is no different than talking about the middle class or rich.

So next time you say, don't bring up a CEO's pay, then someone should say to you don't bring up the welfare programs and safety nets that help the poor.

And I wonder if you do understand the interconnections of a city and state because you talk as if they are the enemy when they are simply embodiments of the people that live within them.

Quote:
I've done rather well for myself career-wise, but only because of one thing: I go into it knowing full well that I get what I negotiate for, and I have no illusions as to compensation versus the job description. I recently switched jobs last June, and that was after turning down at least two other offers due to the fact that they were too low. I make a good wage for honest work, I have the skills they need, and I care not a whit what the CEO of the corporation I work for takes home.
Good for you with the jobs during a down economy, but what if you were to be laid off from the job you have, would you apply for unemployment?

What if your company laid off employees, but you find out that during that time your CEO had increased their salary that matches that of the number of people that was laid off, and you are stuck with either being laid off or having to do more work for less money, would that upset you? Purely honest question, you can say no, things like that wouldn't bother you and I would totally understand because that would be out of your control, but then again it would be your employer taking advantage of their own workers to increase their own pay.

Quote:
"So are you saying Multnomah should just abandon its taxes or are you suggesting that areas outside of Portland are more populated?"

I'm saying that the outlying areas are becoming more populated with both jobs and productive people, while Portland wastes away on both fronts. Sure, PDX will get a bigger population, but at what rates of growth? As the wealthy and skilled folks begin to abandon it in greater numbers for greener pastures, what's left?

Before this whole thing gets all political, I'll stop here. Feel free to continue, and I'll happily agree to disagree. OTOH, if you want to continue funding all these goodies, you're going to have to find a way to pay for them, without pilfering remote counties, or the state treasury, or by taxing people all the way to the U-Haul rental counter.
Well it makes sense for the surrounded areas of a metro to grow more rapidly percentage wise than the city they are surrounding because that is how it works when a smaller populated area takes on a large number of people. Most of the Seattle metro population lives outside of Seattle, but I wouldn't call Seattle a dying city by any means.

So feel free to disagree as much as you want, but I am not you understand how cities grow or work....but then again, if you aren't really interested in that, I can't make you interested in it, I just find it odd that you would complain about them without having a better understanding of them.

And you will probably like living on the coast because more of Oregon is pretty Republican.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2012, 05:16 PM

3,121 posts, read 3,082,889 times
I busted out my calculator and determined that the area serviced by Tri-Met could balance Tri-Met's budget by adding roughly 60,000 jobs that average 40,000 dollars a year. Good luck!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland