Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-13-2012, 01:57 AM

2 posts, read 2,765 times

Advertisements

So my boyfriend and I are moving to Portland in June but we haven't decided on a neighborhood. We visited a few months ago but not for long enough to get the real feel of each area. We would like an area that is not too expensive to rent, within maybe 5 miles of PSU, but not right near the university. We would like a fairly quiet area, so definitely not in the middle of downtown. If you can help us narrow it down based on experience, it would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2012, 07:12 AM

46,001 posts, read 35,161,783 times
Well 5 miles, that is any neighborhood in Portland, and not too expensive is relative, so it depends on how much you are looking for. My guess would be anything south of Division and west of 39th.

Old 02-13-2012, 08:47 AM

1,176 posts, read 2,561,885 times
except i wouldn't classify anything in that area as not too expensive.

Old 02-13-2012, 09:10 AM

46,001 posts, read 35,161,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davemess10 View Post
except i wouldn't classify anything in that area as not too expensive.
Again, it all depends on their definition of not too expensive and what they are looking for, an apartment? a house? But overall much of Portland isn't too expensive to begin with.

Old 02-13-2012, 09:26 AM

2 posts, read 2,765 times
We're looking to pay maybe $800 a month for a 1-2 bedroom.

Old 02-13-2012, 09:52 AM

10,988 posts, read 20,556,080 times
Were I you I would look for transit service that brings you close to PSU. Parking can be a huge expense and even with a permit for the garage it is competitive.

Rents along the streetcar line may be more than you want to spend but you may be able to find something in the John's Landing area and cycle to the south end of the streetcar line. Max service to PSU is still a 'work in progress' IMHO so I don't think that part of our transit system makes sense. The other area I would look is along the route of bus 14 which runs out Hawthorne on the east side or routes 54/56 to the south west. Look at their schedules on line, you will want service into the evening during library hours.

Old 02-18-2012, 11:05 AM

13 posts, read 17,440 times
Check out Willamette Week online or just google "Portland tight rental market" and you will gain some valuable insight to the ever increasing struggle many Portlanders are facing trying to find affordable housing.

This scenario combined with a poor economy and lower salary rate than other cities makes Portland a more difficult city to afford than you would think.

Any apartment "close in" to the city center (but within a quiet neighborhood) will come at a premium. Avegage studio costs $700 to $800. Outer suburbs like Beaverton, Gresham, Tigard may be a little cheaper, but then you are "way out" and will need a car for basic transport.

Old 02-18-2012, 04:27 PM

8 posts, read 141,113 times
Abbie, you can get an apartment for about 800 in a good location, try craigslist, there's a ton of 2 bedrooms in the 700 range, in the city. I'd advise being with walking distance of the "green" and "yellow" train lines, as they both go to PSU. Cool neighborhoods are Mississippi Albina, Irvington, Piedmont - if you can just take the bus, which goes everywhere, Buckman, Lents, and Hawthorne are great. Move close to the Willamette river if not close to the train. Portland is super fun. Bring your bicycles!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland