Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2012, 04:34 PM

3 posts, read 6,577 times

Advertisements

Hello this is probably a strange question I am asking but I am moving to Portland with-in the next 13 months and I have actually 2 questions. First question is there a preferable time to move? Meaning some cities I have been to depending on the month their are more rentals available in a certain time of season. So maybe spring is best or fall? Does that make sense.

2nd Question. I am moving to Portland and do not mind commuting whatsoever (been doing this for many years) so with that being said I am looking for a house to rent no apartment. In some cities I have lived in the further you go out of the city rent is a little lower priced because most people want to live close to the city, and the Houses are not so congested (close together), maybe even rural. I do not mind and have been looking at already from Portland in a circumference of up to 45 minute one way commute to Portland.

I don't know if Portland is like that, so I am just curious. I have been looking on Craigslist and trying to put names of towns in searches but I am not sure. Ultimately once I know of some areas then I can do some searches that way.
Also I am not looking for a upscale house or upscale neighborhood as just a place to lay my head and my workers heads when I am in town. I will be renting though for the whole year and I even thought of contacting some realtors but I don't know the areas to look for as said I am willing to commute up to 45 minutes one way. Thank you in advance and I am really curious to see replies so I can search areas that way.

Last edited by markrothermel15235; 02-26-2012 at 04:35 PM.. Reason: putting location in
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2012, 04:36 PM

As far as areas I think I have notice Beaverton and Gresham seem to be good areas and they are with-in 45 minute drive one way but not sure. Even a country type area or rural will work around Portland. Thank you in advance.

Old 02-26-2012, 04:58 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,161,783 times
Nothing is really that far out in Portland. What is your price range.

Old 02-26-2012, 05:14 PM

91 posts, read 323,349 times
There are a ton of areas within 45 minutes of downtown.

You can rent a house in the Aloha, Cornelius, Hillsboro area for cheap. You can find places with a rural feel, close to the Max line, and not pretentious.

Old 02-26-2012, 05:32 PM

Between 900.00 and 1,200.00 Price range is what I am looking for. Need a 3 to 4 bedroom house and again don't care about the condition as long as when we are in town place to lay our heads but my workers have their own rooms too.

Old 02-26-2012, 06:21 PM

892 posts, read 1,592,380 times
Depending on where your work site is, you may also want to consider St. Helens as well as Gresham. I think the west side (Beaverton, Hillsboro, Aloha) might be too expensive for what your looking for.

Old 02-26-2012, 07:44 PM

780 posts, read 1,576,517 times
Remember that a $1,200 place in Portland might end up equaling a $900 place in Sandy, by the time you factor in your add'l gas, not to mention car wear/tear & traffic aggravation.

Old 02-26-2012, 07:51 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,433,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderbygrace View Post
Remember that a $1,200 place in Portland might end up equaling a $900 place in Sandy, by the time you factor in your add'l gas, not to mention car wear/tear & traffic aggravation.
True, but that large a house cannot be found in Portland for $1200. That will get you a two bedroom apartment or maybe smallish house in Portland. The OP may have to go to a suburb or farther for the amount he wants to pay for a three or four bedroom house.

Old 02-27-2012, 02:49 AM

6,413 posts, read 12,138,742 times
There are a few listings on Padmapper out around Lents or a little further out. Not the greatest area, but a lot less expensive for the size.

Old 02-27-2012, 01:37 PM

780 posts, read 1,576,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post
True, but that large a house cannot be found in Portland for $1200. That will get you a two bedroom apartment or maybe smallish house in Portland. The OP may have to go to a suburb or farther for the amount he wants to pay for a three or four bedroom house.
There are several houses on CL right now for around $1,200 in PDX.

Regardless, you must take into consideration cost of transportation if you are in outlying areas. For a very distinct comparison, if you are commuting an extra 20 miles each way per day at 20mpg at $4/gallon (which is where gas is headed), that's $176 per month for a 22 day workday month. That turns that $1,000 home in Sandy into $1,176. And again - that doesn't include wear/tear or aggravation, such as this morning when US 26 was moving along at 20mph in Sandy, due to the snow/ice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland