Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2012, 11:36 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,446,688 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lunar Delta View Post
Perhaps the checkers just don't pay enough attention? Seriously, I grew up all over the southeast, and I can't remember that ever being a problem, even though almost no one used dividers.
Maybe that's the case but if they are watching for the end of the stuff for each person I would imagine it would slow things down.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2012, 12:54 AM

1,472 posts, read 3,546,648 times
Jeez, and I thought this city was full of fussbudgets and freaks.

Old 03-10-2012, 06:39 AM

3,805 posts, read 6,356,020 times
Funny. I've lived in Portland for 37 years and been to various grocery and retail stores thousands of times and have never once seen the divider thing to be an issue. Either way. Using it or not using it. Nor have I seen anyone standing in line the "wrong" way. Except for when they don't move forward to fill an obvious gap.

I have also never seen dogs inside public places where they are not supposed to be. Tied up outside, yes. Usually within sight of their owner, but if not then under the watchful eye of kindly passers-by. Like me.

It really is true that perception is reality.

Old 03-10-2012, 07:23 AM

6,413 posts, read 12,143,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1208 View Post
has that ever happened to anyone ever?
Yep.

Old 03-10-2012, 07:35 AM

6,413 posts, read 12,143,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sayulita View Post
Funny. I've lived in Portland for 37 years and been to various grocery and retail stores thousands of times and have never once seen the divider thing to be an issue. Either way. Using it or not using it. Nor have I seen anyone standing in line the "wrong" way. Except for when they don't move forward to fill an obvious gap.

I have also never seen dogs inside public places where they are not supposed to be. Tied up outside, yes. Usually within sight of their owner, but if not then under the watchful eye of kindly passers-by. Like me.

It really is true that perception is reality.
I've never seen great issue with any of the above.

Though, I can remember back in the day of standing in line at my local movie theater (back in the days before VCRs, cable tv, etc. - I went to a lot of movies). There was a game I used to get great amusement at playing. It always irked me when the line (when it was long) would extend straight out from the ticket office, down the stairs, and out across the lane, blocking cars. It seemed so stupid, when if the line would just turn, and go down the building, nothing would be blocked. It was always a game to me, if I hit the line at that turn, to see if I could get the people to turn, and line up along the building. They almost never would. They'd get behind me, and start running right out into the street. What made it even more stupid was that along the building was covered. I got great amusement watching the stupidity of sheeple.

I had a lady just the other day come into my (small) place of business with her dog, which she set down on the floor and allowed to wander. I'd have told her it was okay with me, but you'd of thought she'd have asked first. She didn't.

Old 03-10-2012, 12:16 PM

Some posters are acting like using the dividers is a threat to their freedom to live. It's just a simple matter of courtesy for the checker and others in the check out line. Portland used to be a place where people were considerate of each other.

I have never seen use of the dividers creating a big issue until I read some of these posts. I never saw anyone yell at anyone or act belligerent towards someone who didn't use one. Use one or don't use one but don't act like everyone is going to kill you if you don't. So one person said something to you, big deal.

Regarding the line thing. I suspect it looked like the person who was chastised for not "going perpendicular" was giving the impression of cutting the line. So yes, that will make people angry.

Regarding the dog thing, actually I would rather see a well behaved dog in a store than some screaming little toddler in the supermarket putting its grubby little hands all over the produce or tearing open boxes of food. I have seen that way too many times.

Hey, we all have an idea of what the perfect world should consist of.

Old 03-10-2012, 12:36 PM

2,661 posts, read 3,858,594 times
[quote=Minervah;23347265]

Regarding the dog thing, actually I would rather see a well behaved dog in a store than some screaming little toddler in the supermarket putting its grubby little hands all over the produce or tearing open boxes of food. I have seen that way too many times.
quote]

Classic example of Portland weird
Dogs are more important than people
Unbelievable.

Old 03-10-2012, 12:56 PM

343 posts, read 692,828 times
Perhaps a subtle social commentary on how society trains (therefore treats) dogs better than children.

Old 03-10-2012, 01:42 PM

[quote=ccjarider;23347488]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post

quote]

Classic example of Portland weird
Dogs are more important than people
Unbelievable.
Sorry you feel dogs are more important than people, I think they both have their places in life.

I do not qualify for "weird" which, by the way, I do not feel Portland is. It's just some people trying too hard. Anyway I have been living in Portland for too long and am too old to be deemed part of the psuedo "weird" crowd.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramedud View Post
Perhaps a subtle social commentary on how society trains (therefore treats) dogs better than children.
This exactly! My post says "well behaved dogs." Well behaved children are fine too.

I do not care to see rouge dogs or rouge kids in the supermarket.

Anyway, dogs are not more important than people; cats are.

Old 03-10-2012, 01:49 PM

10,942 posts, read 10,253,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post

Anyway, dogs are not more important than people; cats are.

Well, mine certainly seem to think that's the case.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland