Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2012, 02:08 PM

2,316 posts, read 7,820,931 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post
Aw shucks. I'm flattered. Thank you.

I hope you are leaving Freddy's to move up to something really good. I know you will miss us happy Hawthorne Freddy's shoppers.
Oh, of course I will miss you all! Especially the ones who don't use their dividers and the crazy meth-heads who undress in bathroom while yelling incoherently, among others... I take that back. I'm going on to public transit. So actually I probably will get most or all of the same characters!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1208 View Post
has that ever happened to anyone ever?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lunar Delta View Post
Perhaps the checkers just don't pay enough attention? Seriously, I grew up all over the southeast, and I can't remember that ever being a problem, even though almost no one used dividers.
Perhaps you haven't been paying enough attention. This happens all the time and is quite the headache. The checker is damned if they do and damned if they don't. People will have a nasty attitude if the checker asks where their order ends or if that other person is with them, as if the cashier is a mind reader and is completely stupid for not knowing. Then, of course, if they don't ask and keep checking and the customer is not paying attention then a bunch of items have to be voided off and sorted out of the bags and they might have to wait to get a manager to override the voids. What a headache...

As Minervah and haggardhouseelf have stated, it's just simple courtesy towards your cashier that makes their life a tiny bit easier.

Can you tell I'm burn out on customer service?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccjarider View Post
Quote:

Regarding the dog thing, actually I would rather see a well behaved dog in a store than some screaming little toddler in the supermarket putting its grubby little hands all over the produce or tearing open boxes of food. I have seen that way too many times.

Classic example of Portland weird
Dogs are more important than people
Unbelievable.
Dogs are not more important than people. Well-behaved dogs are just more pleasant to be around the poorly-behaved children. I personally would also rather be around well-behaved children than poorly-behaved dogs (or more specifically the owners of poorly-behaved animals). Makes sense, right? Nobody in their right mind likes a screaming child that is causing trouble with parents that don't discipline them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2012, 02:16 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,449,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by backdrifter View Post
Oh, of course I will miss you all! Especially the ones who don't use their dividers and the crazy meth-heads who undress in bathroom while yelling incoherently, among others... I take that back. I'm going on to public transit. So actually I probably will get most or all of the same characters!
Are you going to be driving a bus? May the transit gods be with you.

Old 03-10-2012, 04:30 PM

39 posts, read 117,075 times
This is why I love the self checkout lane.

Old 03-10-2012, 10:22 PM

10,942 posts, read 10,253,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackalope78 View Post
This is why I love the self checkout lane.
I'll use the self checkout, too, if what I'm buying is uncomplicated.

I buy almost all of my meat from the reduced for quick sale and trying to get those rung up in self checkout always involves the cashier overseeing everything to come over, punch in her identification (I think that's what it is) and then peel the reduced stickers off, scan them, and on and on.

So, if I do go through self checkout, I make sure I don't have anything that will complicate things because if I do, it's almost always faster to just go through a regular checkout line.

Old 03-10-2012, 10:31 PM

I have never used the self checkout. It always seems as if someone is having a problem with them. Anyway, I like going through my favorite checkers' lines. Just to say "Hello."

Old 03-10-2012, 11:06 PM

333 posts, read 810,547 times
This divider discussion is amazing. I never thought twice about it before. Before I start putting the items on the belt I put a divider there if it's not there already and then put one after the items. Kind of automatic pilot really, but I guess I could get angry that the last person didn't put it there...but I've got other stuff to worry about it.

Old 03-11-2012, 11:18 AM

320 posts, read 417,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ramedud View Post
LOL

Here in CA you get funny looks if you use the stick thingy. Like "Why bother?" kind of looks.
I think it must depend on where in CA you live. I grew up in So Cal (I know, I know..ugg) and have always used it I see most others use it as well down here, which is a little surprising considering the general "who cares" attitude here. It's just always been the norm for me. I've also noticed that If I don't put the sticky thing down right away, someone will do it for me. But I've never heard anyone say anything or give a dirty look over it.

Old 03-12-2012, 01:10 PM

286 posts, read 521,316 times
Quote:
I have never used the self checkout. It always seems as if someone is having a problem with them. Anyway, I like going through my favorite checkers' lines. Just to say "Hello."
Me too, but for other reasons. If I’m not given a discount or getting paid, why should I do a favor for the corporation and do the checkers job?

I stopped patronizing the downtown Safeway (or any other) because the 10 items or less checkout lanes are now self service only.

Old 03-12-2012, 01:18 PM

10,990 posts, read 20,565,114 times
I have heard from an employee that the DT Safeway was under-resourced, at least initially. I wonder if the store has maxed it's staff hours and switched to self checkout to accommodate those who buy only a couple items.

Old 03-12-2012, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dual Citizen CA-OR View Post
Me too, but for other reasons. If I’m not given a discount or getting paid, why should I do a favor for the corporation and do the checkers job?

I stopped patronizing the downtown Safeway (or any other) because the 10 items or less checkout lanes are now self service only.
I have shopped at the Safeway on Hawthorne until they closed for remodling and the one on Powell in recent months. I always take my items to the check stands with the cashiers. I hardly ever buy more than ten items at a time. I shopped at the Safeway downtown store just a couple of weeks ago and took my five purchases throught a regular checkout stand.

So I am surprised to hear this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland