U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Halloween!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 03-07-2012, 12:13 PM

28 posts, read 66,080 times
Default Discovering Something Annoying in Portland

I had to write this down somewhere to get the angst out of my system. I have lived in a bunch of places around the US but I have to say I have not experienced this yet.

Its a form of "correctness".

We were at safeway a while ago and I got in line at the counter. The person in front of us kept staring at me? Then she blurted out that I was standing in the line incorrectly. That I should not be perpendicular to the row entering the checkout but parallel. In this case, down one of the isles. The store was nearly empty at this time. And I know that if I hid myself in the isle that the next person would form a line perpendicular because they could not see me.... So I held my ground. Then as I loaded my stuff on the belt one of the wine bottles tipped over (but did not fall) as the belt moved. The same lady turned around and said you need to be more careful in a stern tone!!!

OK today my wife is walking the dog. She hooks up the dog outside of the store and goes in for 15 min. I am at home. I get a call from a stranger. "Is your dog Ike." She tells me that he is unhappy, thirsty, tired, drooling and that we have left him outside far too long. She said...."this is really uncool". I called my wife. She checked. Dog is ok. Now our dog is 14 yrs old and paralyzed on one side of his face. So his lip droops, he drools, and his eye is has slime on it about 50% of the time. So maybe he looks lost and forlorn. He is loved and goes to the vet regularly. Despite all this, he begs for his walks, the longer the better. Its the highlight of his day. And for the lady to call me and say "this is really uncool". Not cool!

There are several other examples. Portland has lots and lots of friendly people. Probably more than any other place I have lived.

But they also have impolite wierdo "correctness" freaks.

Grrrrrrrrrrr.

I feel better now.
Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2012, 12:21 PM

90 posts, read 65,321 times
That's like something you see on portlandia lol

Old 03-07-2012, 12:26 PM

6,415 posts, read 5,390,583 times
Shame on that woman for being concerned for your dog. I hope you (or your wife) thanked her for her concern, and explained about the dog's condition.

Old 03-07-2012, 01:06 PM

192 posts, read 191,347 times
Can you share your justification for leaving an old dog unattended and defenseless in a public place? I'd like to know if I am one of the people with a correctness problem.

Old 03-07-2012, 01:47 PM

28 posts, read 66,080 times
Default OMG.... the correctness people hang out on the citydata form

1. I did thank the woman for the dog info. Through gritted teeth and did explain the health deal. For which I got another "not cool"
2. My wife was in the store for 15 minutes. We do this ALL the time. He does not bark, whine, wimper. The highlight of his day are his walks. We incorporated our trips to the market with him. He is old but begs for at least 1 or more 30-60min walks a day. He can run with the best dogs (for about 5 minutes) and he is pulling hard on the leash the whole time we walk.

Old 03-07-2012, 02:07 PM

192 posts, read 191,347 times
I have a feeling the correctness people are all around you. They're everywhere!

This isn't the forum for me to discuss dogs with you, so I will refrain, with a great deal of difficulty.

Old 03-07-2012, 02:12 PM

606 posts, read 493,282 times
I kind of know what you mean, bobkeenan. It reminds me a little of Germany and Austria where people will tell you that you can't park where you are, or that you didn't line up your grocery cart correctly. It comes out MUCH friendlier here though. Maybe it's because this area has an idyllic quality and people don't want any scratches or dents on the sheen of Portland? Not that you are being a scratch or dent!

Old 03-07-2012, 02:27 PM

39 posts, read 58,209 times
People in Portland have a hard time minding their own business. I think it comes from their over-developed sense of community.

Old 03-07-2012, 02:56 PM

297 posts, read 355,896 times
Oh no! You were perpendicular in line?

The shame!

(Just say you are intentionally doing that to annoy people...)

Old 03-07-2012, 03:11 PM

1,012 posts, read 680,796 times
This happens everywhere, though, although not as often in big cities (in my experience). It is much worse when you have kids.

ETA: I go back on that. I've had snarky incidents in London and weird looks in Tokyo and Paris for not knowing the proper way to behave. It's New York where no one cares. There, you could get run over by a car without anyone noticing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland