U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2012, 02:51 PM
sgr sgr started this thread

13 posts, read 6,158 times
Default AZ to OR moving company

Finally making the move from Phoenix up to Portland next month. I was hoping some of the former AZ residents on the board might suggest moving companies they had good experiences with. Any I should know about?

I'm interested in hearing if you thought it was reasonable cost-wise and time-wise (i.e., how long it took for your stuff to arrive).

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2012, 03:30 PM

90 posts, read 65,149 times
we were planning on moving back in Dec but decided to wait another year here in AZ

so were planning on march or april next year (2013) for the big move..

id be interested to know as well, right now were just thinking load up a UHaul and drive that beast the entire way

Old 03-07-2012, 03:32 PM

Yeah, my wife and I just decided that the UHaul option is too big of a headache. The drive is far enough as it is. We're willing to pay extra to have someone else get our stuff there safely.

Old 03-07-2012, 03:40 PM

90 posts, read 65,149 times
Yeah true...

ideally it'd be cool to sell everything and just pack whatever you can in your cars and start over.. but that's always a hassle in itself

Old 03-07-2012, 04:29 PM

13,440 posts, read 10,071,590 times
There is a good forum on moving on the City Data website you can look at. Also, try Angie's List. You have to subscribe but they have the best information on movers. This issue of their magazine this month has a place where people can call to check out whatever movers they are considering. There is a great article on movers and how to choose good ones.

The website they give is moving.org which has a list of moving associations that give ratings of various moving companies state by state. Go to the second page to find a state.

Old 03-08-2012, 10:21 AM

Thanks much for those suggestions!

Old 03-08-2012, 01:08 PM

542 posts, read 581,356 times
Some people think the Pod option is a good compromise... both in ease and price. I've used Ryder and UHaul. Check out the types of vehicles and amenities, gas prices, etc.

Happy trails.

Old 03-08-2012, 05:46 PM

6,739 posts, read 7,389,242 times
The few times I've used a U-Haul truck I found them mechanically deficient. You don't see the truck until you check it out which is way too late to find another truck if you have concerns. Across town is one thing, interstate quite another.

Old 03-09-2012, 10:24 AM

218 posts, read 183,367 times
I too am moving from Peoria, AZ to Oregon (salem however). I have gotten a price of $300 from Penske truck rental for 6 days of truck rental and unlimited miles. I know you said you don't want to go the whole " you move it" option, I have done some quotes on line but they were all about $1,000 to 2,000 for a 2bedroom apartment to be moved with a trucking company. Pods were $1200 for us. We are going with the Penske option, we are selling what we can and already ordered new furniture from Mor in Portland and they will deliver the furniture when we land in our house. I can let you know after we move in May what we did and how much it cost. We are moving with 2 kids ( 7 yo and 2 yo) so that should be interesting. I was going to have my fiance drive and i fly with the kids but that's just to much money. Plus if we take the I-10 route and go up I-5 we can stop in San Francisco with the kids for a day then continue on to our destination.

Old 03-09-2012, 10:49 AM

192 posts, read 190,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AztoORegon View Post
I was going to have my fiance drive and i fly with the kids but that's just to much money. Plus if we take the I-10 route and go up I-5 we can stop in San Francisco with the kids for a day then continue on to our destination.
We also used Penske moving AZ-OR. My father-in-law offered to drive the truck while the rest of us were in the minivan. Made it a lot easier! He flew back afterward. Maybe you have a relative or friend willing to come along?

We took the bulk of 3 days to travel the route you're planning.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland