U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2012, 12:15 AM

1,167 posts, read 1,304,044 times

Advertisements

Portland does exist past 92nd (despite how the area is treated by city hall) in SE and NE.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2012, 12:22 AM

1,792 posts, read 2,173,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davemess10 View Post
Portland does exist past 92nd (despite how the area is treated by city hall) in SE and NE.
It looks like every main east west street is covered by Trimet.

TriMet Interactive Map

Old 03-17-2012, 04:44 AM

6,415 posts, read 5,714,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davemess10 View Post
I never said it didn't. But thanks for letting me know it's there.

I happened to be talking about a Circle Line around the city center. I really don't think the entire city needs to be criss-crossed with MAX (or streetcar) lines, though I'm sure it'd be a convenient thing for some.

Old 03-17-2012, 02:17 PM

448 posts, read 264,906 times
the max goes back to 1886 when i was born what happened to the electric buss?

Old 03-17-2012, 03:08 PM

13,601 posts, read 10,695,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by drum bro View Post
the max goes back to 1886 when i was born what happened to the electric buss?
Um, I think you meant 1986. That's when the first MAX began operating.

Old 03-17-2012, 03:18 PM

448 posts, read 264,906 times
ya 1886 is a ways back

theres supposed to be a huge earthquake, i think a bigger electric busses would be better

or we could all move to london when that happens

Last edited by drum bro; 03-17-2012 at 03:39 PM..

Old 03-17-2012, 03:50 PM

638 posts, read 878,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EnricoV View Post
I don't think any of the transit planning is meant for "the short run."
My comments were in the context of the streetcar as a development tool, not as a transit tool, but if you want to come in here and make a case as to why streetcars are such a wonderful thing along lower density routes, have fun. And wave hi to the empty WES trains while you're at it.

Old 03-17-2012, 06:43 PM

6,415 posts, read 5,714,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Cactus Leaguer View Post
My comments were in the context of the streetcar as a development tool, not as a transit tool, but if you want to come in here and make a case as to why streetcars are such a wonderful thing along lower density routes, have fun. And wave hi to the empty WES trains while you're at it.
Sheesh. What is it with all this reading things into what I post that don't have a single thing to do with what I said?

Where did this segue into a discussion of lower density routes? And what does WES have to do with anything, being neither a streetcar nor the MAX?

The streetcar as a development tool? I work along Grand Ave. There are already lots of refugee businesses in this area that have been driven out of downtown by the high prices. The area is ripe for development.

As for WES. You go ahead and do the waving. I live in Portland.

Old 03-17-2012, 11:00 PM

871 posts, read 1,376,104 times
Quote:
The streetcar as a development tool? I work along Grand Ave. There are already lots of refugee businesses in this area that have been driven out of downtown by the high prices. The area is ripe for development.
Is that the same Grand Ave. that's now got rails and power lines running down it, just waiting for the new streetcar loop that will run over the Broadway Bridge to the north and the new transit bridge to the south?

I can't wait to ride the east side streetcar.

Old 03-17-2012, 11:55 PM

638 posts, read 878,109 times
Quote:
Sheesh. What is it with all this reading things into what I post that don't have a single thing to do with what I said?
Perhaps not you personally, but some people who blindly defend Trimet tend to wave off critiques with dismissive remarks like "you have to look at the long run, not the short run."

Quote:
Where did this segue into a discussion of lower density routes?
The OP asked for funding sources, many mentioned TIF. Development-->density-->TIF--> funding.
Quote:
And what does WES have to do with anything, being neither a streetcar nor the MAX?
WES is what happens when you build something that may begin to bear fruit several generations in the future.
Quote:
The streetcar as a development tool?
Yes, that is the primary goal of the streetcar line... "Development Oriented Transit".
Quote:
I work along Grand Ave. There are already lots of refugee businesses in this area that have been driven out of downtown by the high prices. The area is ripe for development.
The hope would be for massive redevelopment, not refugee businesses occupying light industrial spaces, but that's a start. Which goes back to what I was trying to say originally... the city should have done more to encourage entertainment-related redevelopment adjacent to the Rose Quarter - that, combined with the eastside streetcar and the other amenities along the route, could give the eastside line a better shot at meeting its goal.

Quote:
As for WES. You go ahead and do the waving. I live in Portland.
Well just wave goodbye to the cash then, unless you don't care about the giant hole it is blowing into Trimet's budget.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland