Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2012, 08:36 PM

1 posts, read 4,323 times

Advertisements

If I took a job in Salem, would it be possible for me to live somewhere on the south side of Portland and commute four or five days a week? I'd appreciate responses to two specific questions:

How long it would take to drive, with or without traffic? I used to live in LA and don't mind an hour's drive, but I do hate crawling along in traffic.

What neighborhoods would we be able to live in? I wouldn't mind a small town close to/ south of Portland but don't want to live somewhere that feels really suburban or desolate. We don't have kids so the school-district thing isn't an issue. I'd like to be able to go for a walk in my neighborhood (so sidewalks would be a plus).

Thanks so much!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2012, 09:11 PM

381 posts, read 1,012,131 times
I think it would be fairly possible, provided you had a car with very good (read: 32+mpg) gas mileage.

I knew quite a few folks who drove up from Salem 5 days a week. The trick is that they avoid I-5 as much as possible along the route, which allows them to get up to the PDX area faster. You could do something similar in reverse, as long as you could find routes that kept you off of I-5 (Google Maps is your friend in this regard).

Old 03-24-2012, 09:30 PM

10,987 posts, read 20,456,202 times
My experience with this is dated but there were van-pools for folks who lived in Salem but worked in Portland (mostly State employees I suspect), and visa-versa. Were I in your shoes I would contact Trimet to see if they know of carpools working that route. Much will depend on where in Salem your job is located.

Old 03-25-2012, 03:47 PM

892 posts, read 1,585,061 times
There's a commuter train but does it only go to Wilsonville?

Old 03-25-2012, 07:25 PM

10,987 posts, read 20,456,202 times
Yes. : (

Old 03-26-2012, 08:36 AM

6,464 posts, read 13,381,783 times
There is a ride share website that might help you: Oregon Carpool / Rideshare: 156 car pool / ride share listings

Old 03-27-2012, 01:01 PM

892 posts, read 2,383,399 times
There's daily Amtrak Cascades and Amtrak Coast Starlight trains as well as Greyhound bus service between Portland and Salem. I don't know what kind of work you do, but I've been on both those trains and each includes ample spaces where you could sit at a table and work on a notebook or tablet (complete with power outlets and wifi). Sometimes a long commute isn't so bad if you can build it into your work day. A friend of mine did this between DC and Baltimore for a while, and since his train rides could function as his "first thing in the morning" and "wrapping up the day" e-mail time he never really lost any extra time for having a job located far from home.

Old 03-27-2012, 02:38 PM

9,858 posts, read 11,868,701 times
Lots of things are "possible". While we were still in NYC researching Oregon with Portland as the destination, little did we know that we would spend our first six weeks here living in Troutdale and driving and MAXing into Portland and eventually Hillsboro. After getting a job in Hillsboro it was quickly decided that we would find a home in Hillsboro. Which we did. Many would have accepted a 30+ mile commute indefinitely. What does that train to Salem cost? I once priced the bus and it was something like $25. Maybe its me but that's kind of steep for a daily commute. Unless you are making 70K/yr. If any less you are paying way too much of your salary just getting yourself to your employer. True story. I interviewed for a job seven miles from my home. They decided to hire someone that lived in Lincoln City. I could have told them that that couldn't work. I mean... did I interview that badly? Of course not. I suspect they are working up the nerve to call me in again but I've found another job fairly near to them. I'm actually rather glad they passed on me. Elsewhere on this site is a poll where it was shown that happiness indexes are in inverse proportion to the length of one's commute. i.e. the longer your commute, the more miserable you are. Misery is a health and marriage killer. FWIW.

H

Old 11-16-2012, 02:03 PM

1 posts, read 3,962 times
Default Portland to Salem & Walking neighborhoods in Portland

I am about to embark on a similar situation: I will be initially working primarily in Salem, but prefer to live in the Portland area. I too do not have to consider schools but like to walk my neighborhood, love to read , and then will not mind commuting to work on a train or light rail system. I live in the Bay area now so I think Portland would be an easier adjustment for me. What's the best walking Portland neighborhood, where I can easily get to a train to go to Salem?

Old 11-16-2012, 02:15 PM

8,000 posts, read 17,249,055 times
Check with Amtrak for current schedule
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland