U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2007, 06:11 PM

41 posts, read 114,845 times

Advertisements

We are planning on moving to the Portland area without already having a job secured. My wife and I are both in our late 40's, do you think there is a chance of landing a good job. I am in Information Technology and my wife is in Accounting. She was laid off about 3 months ago and is having a hard time finding a job in Utah, where we presently live. The interviews that she goes on seem to be with people in their late 20's. Will Portland discriminate because of our age?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2007, 06:11 PM

1,008 posts, read 2,845,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyerone View Post
We are planning on moving to the Portland area without already having a job secured. My wife and I are both in our late 40's, do you think there is a chance of landing a good job. I am in Information Technology and my wife is in Accounting. She was laid off about 3 months ago and is having a hard time finding a job in Utah, where we presently live. The interviews that she goes on seem to be with people in their late 20's. Will Portland discriminate because of our age?
Hello,

You and your wife should do fine in Portland. Your wife probably a bit better as there are more opportunities for accountants and business professionals than the IT field. This is mainly due to much offshoring and downsizing. However, you need to be aware that Portland does not have a strong economy and jobs are very competitive. There are many educated people within a small perimiter of the city that are rushing for work. You age will not necessarily be a hinderance as you have more experience than someone fresh out of school but it will depend on the employer. Each company has their own culture and vibe to it. I work with colleagues who wouldn't touch a new kid out of school unless he/she was exceptionally skilled. However, I also know employers that want someone young and naive that will keep their mouth shut and keep their nose to the grindstone. Have you looked through the newspaper?

Old 09-15-2007, 02:20 AM

8 posts, read 38,087 times
Default Older workforce probably the same everywhere

I am considering a move to Portland from San Diego (can't afford to live here, and Portland seems like a better fit for me), but I am 50 and have the same concern about jobs that you do, based on my experience in the San Diego job market.
Age discrimination is a big problem that is growing with the aging of the population, and the need to work longer to keep up with the cost of living. It is a largely invisible problem--trying to prove it is like nailing Jell-O to a wall. Experience on a resume ceases to be an advantage when it makes it obvious you are past 40.

Old 09-15-2007, 01:24 PM

919 posts, read 1,907,870 times
Supernova, with all due respect, how do you know they "should do fine" in Portland, when not only do you not live here, but you've never even been here?

How many people over 40 do you personally know who live in Portland, who have been searching for jobs.

To the original poster, yes age discrimination does seem rampant here, especially in the "creative" industries.

In IT, maybe it's a little better. I have a 50-year-old friend with many years of accounting experience, who had a tough time finding a job. She finally got one, but not until she went through about a dozen interviews.

Old 09-15-2007, 01:27 PM

919 posts, read 1,907,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supernova7 View Post
You age will not necessarily be a hinderance as you have more experience than someone fresh out of school
I beg to differ. Portland has become a city that revolves around the young. So many employers want to hire 20 and 30-somethings not just because they cost less, but because of the image factor. Experience doesn't count as much in Portland as does being hip and trendy.

Old 09-15-2007, 01:33 PM

791 posts, read 1,510,386 times
That seems to be the trend in corporate Amerika today. If you're good with video games you've cleared the first hurdle to employment.

Old 09-15-2007, 04:51 PM

2,265 posts, read 3,967,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suncat View Post
I beg to differ. Portland has become a city that revolves around the young. So many employers want to hire 20 and 30-somethings not just because they cost less, but because of the image factor. Experience doesn't count as much in Portland as does being hip and trendy.
My mother went through this--not here, but in the Bay Area where everyone just wanted 25-35 year olds to do her job, both for "image" and cost!! She went through a rough period for a while because of it but did eventually find something. She has YEARS of experience but those "years" made her too expensive and too old!

Old 09-19-2007, 02:49 PM

254 posts, read 385,959 times
Default boomer blues

I made the mistake of getting a Master's in urban planning in my 40's at PSU, probably the most hip and trendy degree you can possibly get but I didn't realize it at the time. So. now, several years later I am now living in unnamed large Northeastern city and working in an unrelated industry, but still miss Portland. I agree with those who say there is job discrimination, including in nonprofit and government jobs (perhaps the biggest culprits). Portland is an unusually young place; not good if you're older and looking for work.

Old 09-19-2007, 03:03 PM

4,409 posts, read 10,150,483 times
Dont mean to sound rude,but I notice ,supernova,you give alot of Portland advice,,yet you have never even visited .

Old 09-19-2007, 07:51 PM

4,255 posts, read 8,310,214 times
Certain industries are worse than others - high tech, the hip ad agencies. Good luck getting a job at Nike or Addidas if you're not young and in perfect shape - if you don't project the company image and live the company lifestyle. But that's hardly ALL of Portland, which has the same share of standard companies you'd find anywhere else. In general, employment favors the young, fresh and, perforce, cheaper workers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland