Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2012, 06:14 AM

64 posts, read 77,270 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nell Plotts View Post
I will take all the engineers that California will send our way. It's the low lives that should stay in CA.
Yea like the race mixers and nouveau riche yuppies. Poor whites who don't aspire to be homeless and want to work like me should be welcome though. And I am sick to death of peoples prejudices because thats what they are.. they scoot around the race issue but clearly demonstrate bigoted behavior in other ways like how a person dresses or they aren't listening to the hottest new band or even intolerance for the so called intolerant has statistically proven to be worse than the original intolerants setting their ways... thats what gets me mad about people who decide to create division over the silliest things.. bottom line.. if you are bringing your destructive beliefs somewhere or your non productive ways, the residents shouldn't want those people no matter where they come from.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2012, 06:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drum bro View Post
i had a great whatever grandpa that was on the oregon trail

im glad the californians haven't changed the portland metro into one of there cities, with wide streets and a lot of highways.
Maybe they actually were the ones who left California for the right reason.. they didn't want to turn it into what they left perhaps although you can bet the Pearl District has some ex L.A people.

Old 05-06-2012, 06:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post
Well, if it makes the OP feel any better, when I moved to Portland back in the late 70's people were told me I was unwanted because I relocated from Chicago.
Its because you were Jewish more than likely and many get a bad rap... they just didn't want to sound bias. Otherwise I can't think of a more ridiculous reason than that especially since Chicago isn't really a rival to Portland in that many ways.

Old 05-06-2012, 10:54 AM

15,293 posts, read 17,681,555 times
Yes, one of the first things newcomers need to learn is to shut up about their religion.

Old 05-06-2012, 12:39 PM

1 posts, read 1,255 times
I have been in Oregon since 1993 and received that treatment in a big way when I first moved here and it lasted about 5 years. I found it quite disconcerting as well. My husband a home grown Oregonian told me that years ago there was a sign that said something to the affect of "Welcome to Oregon a nice place to visit but please don't stay" actual billboards courtesy of Gov. Tom McCall.

I found it amusing much later when doing some genealogy I discovered that my family had actually been in Oregon considerably longer than most of the people treating me poorly. Eh consider the source and enjoy the greenery...and yes I arrived in Oregon via California and had also lived in Washington.

Old 05-06-2012, 01:29 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,446,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyboy14 View Post
Its because you were Jewish more than likely and many get a bad rap... they just didn't want to sound bias. Otherwise I can't think of a more ridiculous reason than that especially since Chicago isn't really a rival to Portland in that many ways.
No, they told me loud and clear that they felt I had potentially taken away a job from an Oregonian. That is why they were so mean. They treated the guy transplanted from the Chicago office before me who I was replacing in the same manner. He quit because they made him feel so unwelcome and a little bit afraid.

But I don't frighten easily.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Caldwell View Post
Yes, one of the first things newcomers need to learn is to shut up about their religion.
Well, unless they called my relatives back in Chicago and asked what religion I was they had no way of knowing what religion I was. I never mentioned it to the people in that particular job. I guess I gave that impression when I posted that I told people with whom I worked that I was Jewish when they asked me what I was doing for Christmas. But that never happened there.

At this particular job the subject of celebrating Christmas or any other holiday never came up. Believe me these people barely spoke to me let alone ask me how I was going to celebrate a religious holiday.

But in any case, had they asked I would have told them as I would tell anyone. I mean if someone asks me how I am going to celebrate a holiday I don't celebrate, I'm not going to make up a story. For example if someone where to ask you what were you going to do for Kwanzaa but you didn't celebrate Kwanzaa, wouldn't you tell them so? Or would you just tell them to mind their own business?

Last edited by Minervah; 05-06-2012 at 02:32 PM.. Reason: better clarification

Old 05-07-2012, 01:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonshar View Post
I have been in Oregon since 1993 and received that treatment in a big way when I first moved here and it lasted about 5 years. I found it quite disconcerting as well. My husband a home grown Oregonian told me that years ago there was a sign that said something to the affect of "Welcome to Oregon a nice place to visit but please don't stay" actual billboards courtesy of Gov. Tom McCall.

I found it amusing much later when doing some genealogy I discovered that my family had actually been in Oregon considerably longer than most of the people treating me poorly. Eh consider the source and enjoy the greenery...and yes I arrived in Oregon via California and had also lived in Washington.
You must have been doing something wrong then because everyones been nice to me. Hell even the Portland cops in the 2 instances I met up with them and the cops seen I had CA plates too. I don't know what to say about this.. its possible you could have run into a yuppie bunch maybe or more aristocratic West Hills crowd? I don't surround myself with the bad elements of this city or try not to so..

Old 05-07-2012, 01:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post
No, they told me loud and clear that they felt I had potentially taken away a job from an Oregonian. That is why they were so mean. They treated the guy transplanted from the Chicago office before me who I was replacing in the same manner. He quit because they made him feel so unwelcome and a little bit afraid.

But I don't frighten easily.

Well, unless they called my relatives back in Chicago and asked what religion I was they had no way of knowing what religion I was. I never mentioned it to the people in that particular job. I guess I gave that impression when I posted that I told people with whom I worked that I was Jewish when they asked me what I was doing for Christmas. But that never happened there.

At this particular job the subject of celebrating Christmas or any other holiday never came up. Believe me these people barely spoke to me let alone ask me how I was going to celebrate a religious holiday.

But in any case, had they asked I would have told them as I would tell anyone. I mean if someone asks me how I am going to celebrate a holiday I don't celebrate, I'm not going to make up a story. For example if someone where to ask you what were you going to do for Kwanzaa but you didn't celebrate Kwanzaa, wouldn't you tell them so? Or would you just tell them to mind their own business?
Strange that people have this stuff happen to them.. it must be an elitist crowd that some people hang around or work with because its never happened to me and I have an accent and everything from the East Coast.

Old 05-07-2012, 11:34 AM

6,413 posts, read 12,143,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonshar View Post
My husband a home grown Oregonian told me that years ago there was a sign that said something to the affect of "Welcome to Oregon a nice place to visit but please don't stay" actual billboards courtesy of Gov. Tom McCall.
Your husband is wrong. No such thing.

It all stemmed from an interview McCall made in which he said something along those lines. Going on to explain that, though huge efforts were being made, there was not yet the infrastructure for a large influx of immigrants.

Of course, the first part is all that was keyed on. It became a joke, and spawned lots of "don't stay" type products.

Old 05-07-2012, 12:42 PM

286 posts, read 521,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Caldwell View Post
...As I mentioned before, the only problem with Californians is that there are 37 million of them. It makes them sick. Some of them recover when they move out of the cesspool, others never do.
The only problem with Oregonians is their weather and the lack of sunshine. Apparently it makes them cliquish and narrow mined. Some recover when they make friends with transplants from California and other states, realizing Oregon isn’t the center of the universe, others never do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland