Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2012, 12:56 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,376,800 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyboy14 View Post
You must have been doing something wrong then because everyone's been nice to me. Hell even the Portland cops in the 2 instances I met up with them and the cops seen I had CA plates too. I don't know what to say about this.. its possible you could have run into a yuppie bunch maybe or more aristocratic West Hills crowd? I don't surround myself with the bad elements of this city or try not to so..

On the contrary, it is not the aristocratic or the elitist or yuppie bunch who have this attitude. They were either welcoming or indifferent. Although there were not that many of them at the time I moved here. The resentment came from the Oregon born who felt outsiders were ruining their city. They were correct in the respect that outsiders where certainly changing the city.

My experience has been my first friends were all transplants like myself from all walks of life. Later on, as I became a more permanent Portland citizen myself, I began making friends with people who had lived here all their lives. Today, they comprise about 98% of my Oregon friends.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2012, 01:02 PM

6,413 posts, read 12,114,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dual Citizen CA-OR View Post
The only problem with Oregonians is their weather and the lack of sunshine. Apparently it makes them cliquish and narrow mined. Some recover when they make friends with transplants from California and other states, realizing Oregon isn’t the center of the universe, others never do.
I live in Oregon. Oregon is the center of my universe. Do I expect it to be the center of some Californian's? Of course not. California is (or should be) the center of their universe. Not of mine.

Old 05-07-2012, 01:15 PM

12,823 posts, read 24,342,669 times
Portland itself is filled with transplants, in the urban core areas. The more suburban areas seem to be if not majority native, plurality native.

Old 05-07-2012, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sapphire904 View Post
Plus, most CA-ians drive extremely fast and ride up your butt.
Hmmmm ... during my most recent stay in Portland I noted that the worst tail gaters had WA plates.

Me, I was not tail gating, I was the guy with the CA plates driving the speed limit and getting fists shaken at me.

Meanwhile, during the trip up and back, I was the guy who repeatedly had to drop out of cruise control (again set at the speed limit or speed limit + 1MPH) due to the semis pulling out into the passing line 20 feet in front of me, and due to the people (again mostly WA and the odd OR plates) texting while driving - somewhat of a cadence between the tapping on the little screen, tapping on the brakes and tapping in the accelerator.

Old 05-08-2012, 06:48 AM

6,413 posts, read 12,114,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BayAreaHillbilly View Post
and due to the people (again mostly WA and the odd OR plates) texting while driving - somewhat of a cadence between the tapping on the little screen, tapping on the brakes and tapping in the accelerator.

Wow. You sure were close to all these other cars to have been able to say you not only saw them texting while driving, but also were able to see where their license plates were issued. That doesn't seem very safe.

Old 05-08-2012, 08:06 AM

144 posts, read 448,919 times
From my experiences, this is the same everywhere. Here in Charleston, locals don't want Yankees moving here, and especially dislike Ohioans (there have even been "Go Back to Ohio" sponsored nights at our minor league baseball games).

I think what it boils down to is assimilation...

A lot of people get worked up about foreign immigration - people moving to the US with no intention of learning English or contributing to society. But I think locals can definitely be justified in having problems with domestic migration too. If you move because you love where you're moving to, want to engage in the history, activities, and culture of the area then that's great. But if you are trying to recreate wherever you came from then you should have just stayed home. I hope we don't get judged too soon when we get there, but I would understand if we do.

Just my two cents anyway!

Old 05-08-2012, 09:23 AM

10,988 posts, read 20,510,182 times
I think concern about economic competition from others is a common fear world wide and has existed in the US for many generations. I recall dust bowl immigrants arriving in California to be a cause of much dismay.

My advice is to treat questions about your previous community as merely curiosity and perhaps respond with a respectful question of your own.

Old 05-08-2012, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnricoV View Post
Wow. You sure were close to all these other cars to have been able to say you not only saw them texting while driving, but also were able to see where their license plates were issued. That doesn't seem very safe.
When someone passes you multiple times with their head looking down and their hand holding a device, it's hard to miss!

Old 05-08-2012, 01:34 PM

64 posts, read 77,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post
On the contrary, it is not the aristocratic or the elitist or yuppie bunch who have this attitude. They were either welcoming or indifferent. Although there were not that many of them at the time I moved here. The resentment came from the Oregon born who felt outsiders were ruining their city. They were correct in the respect that outsiders where certainly changing the city.

My experience has been my first friends were all transplants like myself from all walks of life. Later on, as I became a more permanent Portland citizen myself, I began making friends with people who had lived here all their lives. Today, they comprise about 98% of my Oregon friends.
What this is then is something that has to do with if you're an outsider, you could be an outsider with a certain appearance to you and the residents think hmm.. he may be a threat.. However if they see someone new whos more in line with them or an Oregonian, it may not be so bad like if they just try to blend in. Some people are just protective of their homeland areas. I would be too if I sensed something strange.

Old 05-08-2012, 01:39 PM

64 posts, read 77,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BayAreaHillbilly View Post
Hmmmm ... during my most recent stay in Portland I noted that the worst tail gaters had WA plates.

Me, I was not tail gating, I was the guy with the CA plates driving the speed limit and getting fists shaken at me.

Meanwhile, during the trip up and back, I was the guy who repeatedly had to drop out of cruise control (again set at the speed limit or speed limit + 1MPH) due to the semis pulling out into the passing line 20 feet in front of me, and due to the people (again mostly WA and the odd OR plates) texting while driving - somewhat of a cadence between the tapping on the little screen, tapping on the brakes and tapping in the accelerator.

Maybe they are like FL then over in WA.. After all they are on opposite corners of the country going diagnal + they both have stand your ground laws on a side note.

FL drivers tailgate horribly. I seen it first hand. They are the *******s trying to run people off the road and in fact one of the rudest least connected places I have lived in. In CA I didn't even see too much of that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland