Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2007, 11:08 PM

2,430 posts, read 6,630,575 times

Advertisements

Are you buying or renting?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2007, 01:34 AM

67 posts, read 198,999 times
Ideally, I'd like to buy. You could say I'm currently laying the groundwork to zero in on which areas to consider. That way, I can be more focused when I make my trips to Portland from Medford.

You all have more than answered my questions and you're just terrific people to take the time to do so as thoughtfully as you have. Thanks to the whole bunch of you! I now have a sense of direction, my homework is cut out for me, and I have no more questions. Can you believe it? Well, there's my final question...for now!

Old 09-17-2007, 08:25 PM

22 posts, read 91,677 times
Great public schools (sports and academics)
Small town center within walking distance (80% and above walkscore.com rating)
A variety of home types with minimal track homes (so we can eventually custom build a contemporary Frank Lloyd Wright”-ish house without standing out too much)
- Within 40 minutes to PDX airport
- Low crime rates
- A “community” feel, instead of just a sprawling suburbia of strip malls
- Lots of families with school-age children
- Views of something besides our own backyard (& without power lines littering the view)
- Near water would be preferable but not absolutely necessary if there is a public pool or ability to build a pool

Have you looked in Clackamas? Forget the Frank Lloyd Wright-ish home, there's no land to build on inside the Growth Boundary, but going East on Sunnyside, there are a number of neighborhoods that would be within walking distance to the shopping centers located in that corridor. LOTS of young families. Nice homes with views being built on Mt. Scott. You can see Mt Hood all the way down Sunnyside Rd on a clear day. North Clackamas schools are good. They're a bit overcrowded now, but they passed a bond measure last fall to build some new schools, which should help. The North Clackamas Aquatic Park is nearby. It's an indoor pool open year round.

Old 09-24-2007, 10:30 AM

2 posts, read 5,792 times
Default Have you looked at McMinnville

McMinnville is a nice small/to medium size community. The city is surrounded by vineyards and very invovled in the wine industry. The schools are great, and has such a great community feel. There are not a lot of strip malls or anything like that.

We are selling our house in McMinnville, with a view of Mt. Hood, over a quarter acre beautiful backyard, 3,000 sq. foot house, in a neighborhood that does not have track homes - all custom built homes in the last 2-3 years.

Old 09-26-2007, 05:34 PM

48 posts, read 158,985 times
My sister and her family live in Portland near Beaverton NW of Cedar Mill. From what I hear from hear, excellent schools, community, sports teams, shopping. Wish I could afford to live there.

Old 09-27-2007, 09:37 AM

3,155 posts, read 10,757,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oneofakid View Post
Im looking to move to Portland in the near future & am having difficulty finding information about various neighborhoods. I have 3 children, all in different grades (elem., middle & high school) and they are all very athletic. My son going into high school needs a school with good soccer, footbal & basketball teams. He is also an accelerated learner. I am concerned becuase I understand Oregon schools in general are not very good. In addition, I understand there are areas (especially in the north and on the east side) that have high crime rates.

Here’s a complete list of criteria for me & my family:

Great public schools (sports and academics)
Small town center within walking distance (80% and above walkscore.com rating)
A variety of home types with minimal track homes (so we can eventually custom build a contemporary Frank Lloyd Wright”-ish house without standing out too much)
- Within 40 minutes to PDX airport
- Low crime rates
- A “community” feel, instead of just a sprawling suburbia of strip malls
- Lots of families with school-age children
- Views of something besides our own backyard (& without power lines littering the view)
- Near water would be preferable but not absolutely necessary if there is a public pool or ability to build a pool

It's a tall order, but we want to get it right the first move.

How are Hillsdale, Lake Oswego, West Hills, Multnomah Village, East Moreland, Hillsboro, Sherwood, Burlingame, etc???

Any guidance you could provide would be helpful. Thanks!!!!!
Westmoreland Sellwood fits your criteria. Hillsdale, Hillsboro, Sherwood, Lake O, all have more of surburian feel. Plus Sherwood and Hillsboro to the airport w/ be a nightmare if you had to do it regularly. Any where in the city will be hard to find a buildable lot for a Frank Lloyd Wright house. But it can be done. You just have to find the right realtor. My realtor in Sellwood found a lot and built a huge Craftsman that looks like it has been there for a 100 years but it's 2 years old. BTW, parts of Westmoreland Sellwood sit on the bluff over looking the river. And there is a community pool/ outdoor.

Let me know if you have specific questions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland