Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2012, 07:39 PM

10,990 posts, read 20,567,401 times

Advertisements

As someone who has been an 'insider' in the hiring process I couldn't agree more.

Large organizations such as Kaiser, Providence likely are using an automated screening system (I don't know because I have been retired too many years). Smaller employers such as clinics often use temporary services to cover their office when an employee is on leave. This is a great way to get to know practice groups and develop a network. Don't rely on just one route to a permanent job. Use them all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2012, 11:23 AM

39 posts, read 117,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nell Plotts View Post
Only 10? Usually that is the number of applicants a recruiter sends to a manager for consideration. My guess is that they receive at least 50 qualified applications.

Keep in mind that some employers use an applicant sourcing system that scans resumes, ranks them based on pre-established criteria. Those that do not make the cut are essentially invisible to the hiring officials. Read the announcement carefully.
I actually said 10+, not just 10. I've been a corporate recruiter for 10-not 10+-years and I've seen the trends in the Portland area turning cut throat.

You're right about the recruiting software too. It's a huge time saver. You will usually get a lot of unqualified candidates hitting the "apply" button for every opening. This software is great for weeding them out.

Like I said before, it would be a big risk moving to Portland without having a job lined up first. Sure, healthcare is a great field. But the clerical side of the business is in an entirely different category. There are thousands of out of work secretaries in the area. There are also a lot of retirees coming back into the market. Like I said, it's cut throat.

Old 04-16-2012, 11:34 AM

21,695 posts, read 28,449,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackalope78 View Post
I actually said 10+, not just 10. I've been a corporate recruiter for 10-not 10+-years and I've seen the trends in the Portland area turning cut throat.

You're right about the recruiting software too. It's a huge time saver. You will usually get a lot of unqualified candidates hitting the "apply" button for every opening. This software is great for weeding them out.

Like I said before, it would be a big risk moving to Portland without having a job lined up first. Sure, healthcare is a great field. But the clerical side of the business is in an entirely different category. There are thousands of out of work secretaries in the area. There are also a lot of retirees coming back into the market. Like I said, it's cut throat.
They are not turning cut throat, they have been for a long time. If the OP's experience is in medical coding, billing and other related medical clerical knowledge she will be competing with the hundreds of people graduating as medical assistants and administrators from the many colleges in Portland that give degrees in these subjects.

One thing in her favor may be her experience though. And she may want to look at Blue Cross, Aetna or ODS Insurance companies that hire people to pay health insurance claims. They might appreciate her experience from the other side.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
View detailed profiles of: