Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2012, 08:40 AM

4,619 posts, read 8,170,326 times

Advertisements

While what the guy did was dickish, my honest opinion is that you need to just move on.

I mean, seriously, you paid what you felt was a fair price for rent. If you'd never found out about this, you'd be content having paid the rent, you'd have felt like you were saving money by sharing space, you'd have been appreciative that the guy collected the money and dealt with the landlord.

So you find out he wasn't paying his full share because you neglected your own rights and duties in verifying financial information provided to you (the actual rent). What he did is unethical. It *might* be illegal, although you might be surprised to know that it might not be illegal. It'd be hard to prove that he said, "The rent now is $1,500," and not just "your share of the rent is now $X" - because if he just gave you a new number that you had to pay, then the total rent on the unit may not even be relevant legally.

My advice to you as a human, as a person, as someone who has other things in your life that need your attention, is to simply let it go. Move out if you feel you must, but if I'd been a former roommate of your's, I'd be more pissed at you for telling me about it than at him for doing it. You're sowing seeds of discontentment, in a situation I've already left, and for what? Seriously? Money you will probably, realistically, never see again? Money that, in the big scheme of life, is chicken scratch?

Get over it. Move on. Worry about things that *actually matter*, and next time read the paperwork. It's rare for someone to be scammed and not be partly responsible, and I certainly think that's the case here. Don't project your own regrets for not verifying things onto your misleading roommate. He may deserve scorn, but you do yourself a disservice if you don't recognize your own portion of the blame.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2012, 09:09 AM

1,082 posts, read 1,912,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdykilawat View Post
The original lease had everyone on it. Everyone here knew the rent was $1250. He then told everyone it was increased to $1500.
so then you should have asked for documentation before forking over the extra cash. that's a pretty significant increase. live and learn.

Old 04-13-2012, 03:22 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,449,641 times
Woulda, shoulda, coulda.

It looks like from his last post the OP has realized he is just going to have to cut his loses and is walking away. I wish him luck. I am sure he is a wiser person for all of this.

Old 04-14-2012, 04:22 PM

1,257 posts, read 2,653,820 times
If I was in the same position I'd simply say "well played ... well played". Next time do your homework. Live and learn. If you are still talking of this a year from now. You probably need a hobby.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
View detailed profiles of: