Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2007, 11:20 AM

11 posts, read 30,021 times

Advertisements

Ok so me and my girlfriend want to move to portland or even an area that is less than 20 min outside of portland. we want to know anything u know about the cost of living in and around portland(least expensive to most). we also wanna meet some cool new ppl cuz we don't know anybody so if u need a friend let us know. we are moving from slc utah and are totally stoked. we are 19 and 21 so we love life and we are kinda like the new age hippies if ya know what i mean lol drum circles dancing music and fun that is us. please tell me all u can thanks

Last edited by pazzati; 09-18-2007 at 12:45 PM.. Reason: CUZ
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2007, 01:14 PM

1,008 posts, read 4,025,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pazzati View Post
Ok so me and my girlfriend want to move to portland or even an area that is less than 20 min outside of portland. we want to know anything u know about the cost of living in and around portland(least expensive to most). we also wanna meet some cool new ppl cuz we don't know anybody so if u need a friend let us know. we are moving from slc utah and are totally stoked. we are 19 and 21 so we love life and we are kinda like the new age hippies if ya know what i mean lol drum circles dancing music and fun that is us. please tell me all u can thanks
I have done extensive research on this city and will try to help as much as I can. I can tell you that Portland is not a cheap city to live in, the cost of living is quite high for a city of its size. That doesn't mean you can't find a place to live, it will just take longer if you're on a very tight budget. Stay away from all the trendy/chic places as they will be very expensive. Downtown is very expensive because you are close to all of the attractions. Look in to NE Portland as that may be along what you're seeking if money is an issue. Given that you're very young you'll fare well either there of perhaps SE. Meeting people? Well, I have heard from many people that the locals are very distant, egotistical, stuck up, introverted and not really in to getting to know others unless they strike up the conversation. If you move to Portland please have a job line up or come with enough money to sustain yourself, otherwise you'll join the long list of Portland homeless people. Sounds like California would be a good fit but that's only if you have money. Have you looked in to other cities or have you made up your mind?

Old 09-18-2007, 02:19 PM

2,885 posts, read 1,983,376 times
Pazzati, I can make one promise to you. You really will find cool people, talkative and decent people. Take it from one who has been there several times. Good luck to you! Keep at it.

Old 09-18-2007, 09:23 PM

2,430 posts, read 6,628,121 times
The long list of Portland homeless people!? There are homeless people in every city, Portland doesn't have a longer list than anywhere else!!!
It sucks, but it exists. Portland is no different than other cities in that regard.

There are plenty of cheap places still in Portland if you're willing to have roommates or live in an area that isn't fancy or trendy (and not unsafe either). There are plenty of jobs if you're just looking for something basic too. And there IS cheap housing downtown too--lots of old buildings have very large studios if you're willing to share.

People here are like anywhere else--some are friendly, some are not. But if you're friendly most people will be too. I have no idea where the snobby unfriendly statistic comes from--my guess is it comes from people who aren't very friendly themselves.

Old 09-19-2007, 01:47 PM

14 posts, read 43,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supernova7 View Post
Meeting people? Well, I have heard from many people that the locals are very distant, egotistical, stuck up, introverted and not really in to getting to know others unless they strike up the conversation. If you move to Portland please have a job line up or come with enough money to sustain yourself, otherwise you'll join the long list of Portland homeless people.

Dear Supernova7,

I have been posting to this site for only a few weeks now, and I do not live in Portland - I live in Oakland in the SF Bay Area. I'm writing you out of curiosity - it seems like you have some very negative feelings about Portland that you don't try very hard to hide - are you currently living in Portland? My husband and I and our 2 little girls are thinking of moving to Portland, and out of all the people I've spoken to who have either lived there in the past, or currently live there, none are as negative as you. Sounds like you had some very bad experience(s) there, but I can't help but observe that your posts and replies to posts really stand out in a way that I'm not sure you're going for - not just as observations, but as very bitter reflections.

Hope you're in a happier place now!

Old 09-19-2007, 02:09 PM

2,885 posts, read 1,983,376 times
[quote=magpie5;1533258]Dear Supernova7,

. Sounds like you had some very bad experience(s) there,

She says shes's never been there.

Old 09-19-2007, 02:15 PM

4,721 posts, read 15,608,720 times
[quote=Lillietta;1533427]
Quote:
Originally Posted by magpie5 View Post
Dear Supernova7,

. Sounds like you had some very bad experience(s) there,

She says shes's never been there.
I just mentioned this on another thread about all the portland advice SuperNova gives out,,yet he/she has never even visited

Old 09-19-2007, 08:14 PM

1,008 posts, read 4,025,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by magpie5 View Post
Dear Supernova7,

I have been posting to this site for only a few weeks now, and I do not live in Portland - I live in Oakland in the SF Bay Area. I'm writing you out of curiosity - it seems like you have some very negative feelings about Portland that you don't try very hard to hide - are you currently living in Portland? My husband and I and our 2 little girls are thinking of moving to Portland, and out of all the people I've spoken to who have either lived there in the past, or currently live there, none are as negative as you. Sounds like you had some very bad experience(s) there, but I can't help but observe that your posts and replies to posts really stand out in a way that I'm not sure you're going for - not just as observations, but as very bitter reflections.

Hope you're in a happier place now!

To answer your question, no I do not live in Portland and I have not had any bad experiences there. I have no idea what brought you to that conclusion as I HAVE NEVER STATED THAT. I'm not being "negative" I'm simply conveying my observations from many people who have lived or presently live in Portland that are NOT happy. My posts are very clear if people take the time to read and comprehend prior to writing back. I can care less what others think and I'm not here to win acceptance or follow the pack. I'm here to offer help with what I know as well as to share other people's experience whom I have come across. I HAVE NO NEGATIVE FEELINGS ABOUT PORTLAND. I have mixed feelings for some of the people here and their manner in misrepresenting Portland to those considering moving there. Portland is not the utopia as some paint it out to be. Hope that answered your question.

Old 09-19-2007, 11:19 PM

2,091 posts, read 9,045,187 times
""Meeting people? Well, I have heard from many people that the locals are very distant, egotistical, stuck up, introverted and not really in to getting to know others unless they strike up the conversation.""

Oh.....ouch....
I have lived in Portland, my husband, and 2 of our kids were born in Portland at Emmanual, the other kid in Oregon City, we're all Oregon natives, im 4th generation, hubby is 3rd, my mom/step dad live in Portland, as do some of my inlaws, and lots of friends. I will say, I, my family and friends, have always been welcoming to anyone moving here to Oregon. Wy shouldnt we? We have no 'rights claim" on it, people are going to be moving here if we like that or not, so might as well try and start out on the right foot by being helpful and friendly, rather than rude and cruel. And I do believe most people hold true to that as well.
Many many many Oregonians did NOT start out here in this state. Theres a huge amount of people who have moved in. So I think for the most part, they have no issue w/others doing the same thing they did by moving here.
I think you should be able to find friends in Portland w/o too much of a trial. Ive never had any problems striking up converstations w/people, and much of the time, were I was born has never even come up. Most people could care less where I was born or went to school (unless we're seeing if we know the same people!)
Unfortunatly, I cant help you out much in meeting people with your interests, it sounds fun, but a different life then what I lead. I would think if you check around the college you could find many people your age that could lead you in the right direction.
also, head down to Pioneer Sq., waterfront, and Saturday market. I bet you'd find some likewise people there to "jam" with.
Best of luck to you!
Tiffany

Old 09-19-2007, 11:46 PM
wtg

15 posts, read 76,946 times
Default I've been in Portland about a month

and I've found nearly everyone to be friendly, down-to-earth and helpful.

We live in a mobile society and there are always going to be people resentful of their hometown changing, as all areas do over time. But I haven't seen it more here than anywhere else. And it does seem like 2 of every 3 people I meet are not originally from Portland anyway.

No, Portland isn't a utopia, but no place is. I like it fine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland