Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-10-2012, 04:24 PM

14 posts, read 23,152 times

Advertisements

Hi Portland! As with most posts here, we're thinking about relocating to Portland. Whodathunkit. Looking for some neighborhood info.

I'm an attorney who works from home, so commute is not an issue. We have two young kids, so would like to live in a good school district or in an area near a good private school (non-religious). And most importantly, I would like to live close to a private golf club. We would prefer the city over the suburbs. Preferably near good restaurants/shopping.

I see that there are at least three private clubs in the city (Portland, Waverly, Columbia-Edigewater). Any comments about the adjacent neighborhoods and our how they might fit the above criteria (city neighborhood, schools, restaurants, parks for the kids, etc.)

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2012, 06:03 PM

10,988 posts, read 20,554,439 times
Near the Portland Golf Club is where you want to locate. Homes in the area come at a variety of price points. Adjacent is Oregon Episcopal School which is not a religious school, it is an international school at the price point of some colleges. The public schools in the area are fine given the economic pressure schools around the country are experiencing.

Old 05-10-2012, 09:13 PM

6,413 posts, read 12,137,874 times
Only downside to that area, though, is it's definitely not "city" ... it's suburbs. And while you will find good restaurants, you'll find a lot more that are chain-type places.

Old 05-11-2012, 08:58 AM

6,464 posts, read 13,433,687 times
BTW, just in case you did not know, there are apparently three PGA Tour level Golf Courses on the coast in Bandon Oregon.

Old 05-11-2012, 10:13 AM

Quality golf courses right in a 'city' are tough to find. Columbia-Edgewater is under the flight path of PDX and misses the OP's list of desires by a huge margin. Waverly has possibilities but wasn't the best fit overall.

hamellr, have you ever played Bandon Dunes??? Expensive, very expensive.

Old 05-11-2012, 10:30 AM

14 posts, read 23,152 times
How's traffic on the west side? If we lived closer in to downtown, how long of a drive would it be to PGC?

Old 05-11-2012, 12:36 PM

6,464 posts, read 13,433,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nell Plotts View Post

hamellr, have you ever played Bandon Dunes??? Expensive, very expensive.
"Golf is a nice walk spoiled by a little white ball." - Mark Twain

I work with a lot of avid golfers who say that Bandon Dunes is absolutely awesome though.

Old 05-11-2012, 01:23 PM

It really isn't far, depending of course on where you choose to live. Pull up your favorite map site and look at Schoolls Ferry Road (which the PGC is on), notice that is runs in a generally N-S direction. N is toward the city and up hill. The intersection of Schoolls and Beaverton-Hillsdale Highway can be congested but other than that, no issues.

Personally I use the 'back roads' to go over the west hills, from my home near Washington Park to my hair cutter not far from Washington Square - 15 minutes.

The real question will be: how much are you willing to spend on a house? Generally speaking the closer to the city center and the higher on the hill the more expensive the house.

Oh, don't forget that private clubs have a membership fee. The Portland Golf Club is not Sharon Heights but ...

And yes hamellr, my DH confirms what you have heard.

Old 05-11-2012, 05:36 PM

Lex, I just noticed your current state of residence. Homes here are much more expensive than Iowa. The comment about Sharon Heights Golf Club would only have meaning to west coast golfers who are a member of a private club, sorry.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland