Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-14-2012, 07:35 AM

2,175 posts, read 4,299,085 times

Advertisements

Plan on visiting Portland this summer for the first time. Looking for recommendations on which part of the city to stay.

Will have a rental car and it seems overnight parking at the downtown hotels is pretty pricey. Would you recommend staying in the outskirts where parking is free and driving in, or is it not really worth the difference?

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2012, 08:14 AM

6,413 posts, read 12,143,960 times
Staying in the 'burbs isn't very fun. There are places closer in. It kind of depends on what you're looking for, what kind of a price range, etc.

The Inn at Northrup Square is in NW, and has parking.

McMenamin's Kennedy School is in the NE, basically residential area.

Old 05-14-2012, 08:56 AM

6,464 posts, read 13,438,992 times
What kinds of things are you looking to do in Portland? IE, If you're going to spend a lot of time in the Gorge, Kennedy School that EnricoV pointed out above would be a good choice, as would McMenamin's Edgefield.

If you're planning on being mostly downtown, maybe cancel the rental car and go with Enterprise or Hertz local Edition, or even ZipCar for the day you might need it.

Old 05-14-2012, 10:45 AM

132 posts, read 324,010 times
are there hotels in lloyd center?

it seems they would have better parking than downtown, and it's still close-in.

Old 05-14-2012, 11:11 AM

6,464 posts, read 13,438,992 times
There is one hotel across the street from Lloyd Center. There are a couple more closer to the Convention Center. The one across from Lloyd Center charges for over night parking, the other's I don't know about.

Old 05-14-2012, 12:09 PM

1,742 posts, read 959,071 times
I don't live in Portland but have visited several times over the last 2 years or so. On my first visit I didn't rent a car so staying downtown was important. I stayed at the Modera, which was an older hotel/motel converted into a modern, somewhat upscale, "hip" hotel. It was a good location but I thought somewhat pricey for what you got. Since then I have always rented a car while in Portland and have stayed at the Marriot Residence Inn on Multnomah St. near Lloyd Center. It is not at all "hip", but it is clean and everything is updated. Each room has its own kitchen, which can save you money if you don't want to eat out for every meal. They serve a free breakfast in a nice, cozy dining area. I'm not talking about a continental breakfast either; they go all out- eggs, sausage, bacon, potatoes, cereal, muffins, toast, fruit, juice, etc. They also have free parking. The location isn't exactly trendy or exciting, but when you aren't driving, it is within very short walking distance of the Lloyd Center MAX stop (which is the last stop in the free rail zone- although I understand there is a proposal to eliminate the free rail zone) so you can get downtown in just a few minutes. The neighborhood has some very charming older homes, some with beautiful yards and flowers. There are also some good places to eat and some funky stores on Broadway, which is also a short walk away. So if you don't mind staying in a clean, non-trendy hotel with free breakfast, free parking, and easy access to downtown via a nearby MAX stop for less than you'd spend on a downtown hotel, then I think the Marriot Residence Inn is a good choice.

Old 05-15-2012, 07:43 AM

2,175 posts, read 4,299,085 times
Thanks for the comments.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland