Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2012, 11:37 PM

6,413 posts, read 12,143,960 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deezus View Post
Good points. Eugene, Oregon has done it already, why can't Portland look at BRT. Does TriMet get kickbacks from street car manufacturers? Alot of the Eastside would be set up for BRT--or somewhere like Barbur Blvd or Beaverton-Hillsdale.
The assumption being that Tri-Met hasn't looked at it?

I attended several planning meetings regarding light-rail back in the day. Believe me, BRT was part of the equation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2012, 12:56 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,446,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EnricoV View Post
The assumption being that Tri-Met hasn't looked at it?

I attended several planning meetings regarding light-rail back in the day. Believe me, BRT was part of the equation.
I did not attend meetings but I am signed up with Tri-Met to get e-mail updates to give my opinions and to read other's.

But as you mention, back in the day, BRT was proposed because I remember reading about it in the paper. It seemed every bus driver had an opinion and wanted to discuss the situation amongst the passengers. In fact, that was a hot topic when the talk about whenever MAX was the subject.

Maybe Portland went with less bus and more light rail because they got more government subsidies or because they just thought light rail would be more attractive in making Portland a modern city and up to date city to which outsiders would want to relocate.

These are just guesses. I don't really know or understand why Tri Met and the city officials abandonded the idea of BRT's way back when. It would be nice to find out.

Old 05-20-2012, 06:11 PM

15,293 posts, read 17,681,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post
I did not attend meetings but I am signed up with Tri-Met to get e-mail updates to give my opinions and to read other's.

But as you mention, back in the day, BRT was proposed because I remember reading about it in the paper. It seemed every bus driver had an opinion and wanted to discuss the situation amongst the passengers. In fact, that was a hot topic when the talk about whenever MAX was the subject.

Maybe Portland went with less bus and more light rail because they got more government subsidies or because they just thought light rail would be more attractive in making Portland a modern city and up to date city to which outsiders would want to relocate.

These are just guesses. I don't really know or understand why Tri Met and the city officials abandonded the idea of BRT's way back when. It would be nice to find out.
Just go down to the Tri-Met offices and put in a public records request for the BRT feasibility study. They probably did one. You will have to pay archive and copy fees, but that shouldn't run over $100 or so. A visit to the library to cruise through Oregonian articles might get you the information you are looking for cheaper. The Multnomah County Library might even have a copy of the BRT feasibility study.

Old 05-20-2012, 06:17 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,446,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Caldwell View Post
Just go down to the Tri-Met offices and put in a public records request for the BRT feasibility study. They probably did one. You will have to pay archive and copy fees, but that shouldn't run over $100 or so. A visit to the library to cruise through Oregonian articles might get you the information you are looking for cheaper. The Multnomah County Library might even have a copy of the BRT feasibility study.
That's a great idea about the public library. I can do that. But $100, to pay Tri Met for the study, well, that's quite a bit out of my priced range.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland