Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2012, 12:59 AM

745 posts, read 1,582,760 times

Advertisements

Very big issue here. I was addicted to it for over a year when I first moved here. That was a long time ago and thankfully I'm off it, but there are meth houses all over town, even in good neighborhoods. I live on 39th and there is, what seems to be a meth complex. I know there is one lady who lives there that was in that "Faces of meth" publication. If you go out towards Greshem and past 82nd, I'm sure it's all over. I certainly wouldn't live way out there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2012, 01:03 AM

745 posts, read 1,582,760 times
And btw, the recent Drugs Inc episode on meth said its the #1 drug problem in the US.

Old 11-17-2012, 12:42 PM

347 posts, read 669,516 times
I don't doubt there's a meth problem but I do doubt it's as big as the documentary says it is. Documentaries often overstate things to bring attention to it. Like that Super Size Me documentary...what a dope.

Old 11-17-2012, 01:52 PM

10,990 posts, read 20,561,057 times
I just wish there were as active a public health campaign against meth as there was against smoking, discouraging people from even trying it.

Old 11-17-2012, 06:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nell Plotts View Post
I just wish there were as active a public health campaign against meth as there was against smoking, discouraging people from even trying it.
There was when I was in school in the 90s. Not for meth specifically but for all drugs. There were like three different programs to discourage us from taking drugs. One of them is called D.A.R.E. I forget what the others are. I remember we'd have assemblies and classes all about it. There was some sort of a talking sheriff dog against drugs. Police would come over like once every couple months and tell us how bad drugs were. We had some sort of puppet show that toured around telling us how bad drugs are. I seem to remember a giant frog...but that might have been for swimming in canals. Then I remember all of those commercials "This is your brain on drugs". Or the "it's 10 o clock, do you know where your children are?" That might not have been for drugs though.

Old 11-17-2012, 11:39 PM

Because most first time drug use starts when kids are in their teens I think the most effective approach is to show what meth does to their appearance. Make even trying it unattractive. The young think they are bullet proof, I don't think showing them what it does to their brain is most effective.. they don't see the result. Rotten teeth, bad breath, tweaking and other observable results grab attention first. Then talk about brain development.

Old 11-19-2012, 02:13 PM

8,000 posts, read 17,331,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyled View Post
I don't doubt there's a meth problem but I do doubt it's as big as the documentary says it is. Documentaries often overstate things to bring attention to it. Like that Super Size Me documentary...what a dope.
I almost agree if I didn't know better. The reality is it is much worse.

And speaking of dope, why not just try and legalize another brain killer like MJ.

Old 11-19-2012, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Pickering View Post
I almost agree if I didn't know better. The reality is it is much worse.

And speaking of dope, why not just try and legalize another brain killer like MJ.
Well...I was speaking of the guy who did the super size me documentary (the one about eating nothing but McDonald's for like a month) being a dope, not the drug. A lot of documentaries are really just trying to get noticed...especially ones done by independent film makers.

Old 11-19-2012, 05:08 PM

8,000 posts, read 17,331,906 times
Why would you call him a dope? His report was accurate although it was downplayed. Meth is starting to fall out of favor and is replaced by Heroin which is more available.

Old 11-19-2012, 08:13 PM

All in all heroin is probably less destructive, but that is not to say that either are good.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland