Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2012, 08:19 PM

3 posts, read 4,089 times

Advertisements

So, I am looking into moving into Portland next July-ish (around that time, at least, maybe later or earlier depending on what I'm able to find and how much money I've saved at that time!).

My biggest concern is that by the time I move, I'll be working 30-35 hours a week, and will thus be inelligible for subsidized housing, but also not able to pay ridiculous NW/Pearl/etc area prices.

I currently work near Couch park, and I really love that area. I'm realistic in the fact that I might not be able to live right there, but I would LOVE to live somewhere close that wouldn't require me to drive to work in the mornings and afternoons!

Can anyone point me in the direction of apartments that are generally cheaper, or are there subsidized housing programs for people who make 60-80% of the median income?

Unfortunately even though I currently qualify wage-wise for under 60% of the median income, when my hours go up I will not qualify anymore.

For reference, I make $12.50 an hour (just in case anyone is interested in doing the math, I did research what 60% of the median currently is and at 30 hours I am just above the requirements. I have been known to be terrible at math, however!), and currently work 25 hours. I do have to deduct tax from my wages, which is about $85 a week, and of course I want to be able to provide myself food and food for my animals. :P

I will be working 30-35 by the time I move, and will have saved a lot for this move (I'm looking at almost 5k if I can pull it together. ), but I am really not looking to spend more than 550, maybe 600 a month if I have to. *ETA- I'm looking for a larger studio, or 1 bedroom apartment.*

Any help would be great! I have checked out the housing connection site and the homepath site as well, but neither seem to have what I'm looking for, or they're mostly homes for folks making under 60%.

Is this doable? Or are there homes that are just outside of the area that I could rent that are safe? I'd prefer to stay away from Chinatown and that area of SW. Ideally I'd like to be above Burnside, though again- I'm trying to be realistic in my planning.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2012, 09:33 PM

1,012 posts, read 1,543,539 times
I know several people who are renting for reasonable rates in SE. They are mostly sharing houses and have two or three roommates. Craigslist might be your best bet.

Old 05-24-2012, 09:45 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,442,276 times
Well if you have searched all the housing sites and have not come up with anything I think you have your answer. Your income and hours are just too high and to many. I don't think you can find anything in your price range close to downtown. But you can try the neighborhoods of SE Lents and Montavilla.

Along Burnside going east, some apartments are less expensive than closer in. There are some on Stark too. They will more than likely be past 50th. What is your animal? Cats are more accepted; dogs not as much.

Why would you not want to live in the SW part of town. Other than the buses not running all that often, rents in the larger apartment complexes are often cheaper. Otherwise as Turquoise1 suggested you may have to go with roommates if you are looking to pay that low a rent. Or maybe renting a room in a house.

Old 05-24-2012, 10:19 PM

turqouise1- I'm really not interested in sharing a home. I've done the roommate thing, and it's fine but I really want space that's just my own. Hence the preference for a studio. Thanks, though. I'm keeping my eyes open just to get an idea at the moment, when it comes time to get ready to make a serious decision I will hopefully have it figured out!

Minervah- Ah, I guess I should specify- I mean SW as in the downtown area. I'm open to living further from Portland, and realistically I know that's probably what will happen, but I figured it was worth a shot to see if there was something I was missing? I'd just love to be able to ditch my car and walk to work, or take a short bus/max ride.

I'm specifically looking for anything inward of 50th, actually. Though Montavilla isn't terrible, and there's an apartment complex I was looking at last week, I used to work in the neighborhood for another family.

I have two cats, also. They're way easier for me to manage than a dog.

ETA- I have apparently misinterpreted the MFI and did some more boredom research for apartments in the area, so I'm pretty sure I will end up qualifying for the place I'm very interested in. Thanks for the information, I was really looking for someone to help me figure out if I was misinterpreting because I was sure I must've been. And after doing additional digging, I've seen that I was totally off, haha.

Last edited by educatoralicia; 05-24-2012 at 10:56 PM..

Old 05-25-2012, 01:13 AM

181 posts, read 455,696 times
This might be a dumb question, but is finding a better-paying, full-time job not an option?

I live and work in the same area (I walk through Couch Park almost daily), and I'm renting a 314 square-foot studio for $750/month. That's about as cheap as they come around here. I've heard of income-restricted buildings in the Pearl, but I imagine there's a looong waiting list to get into one.

Old 05-25-2012, 08:14 AM

1,176 posts, read 2,562,523 times
If you can't afford it, don't live downtown or in inner Portland. Thousands of people have to deal with this reality.

Not trying to rain on your parade, but thus is life.

Old 05-25-2012, 08:37 AM

1,012 posts, read 1,543,539 times
I think the building that houses Isobel's Playhouse in the Pearl is income-restricted, but I know a family of six who waited forever to get in there.

Old 05-25-2012, 08:55 AM

10,990 posts, read 20,562,477 times
Couch Park is a few blocks off Burnside. The OP is close to excellent bus and MAX service. While living out a ways on the east side would make for a slow commute she likely will be able to find a small apartment in her budget.

Old 05-25-2012, 06:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gma221 View Post
This might be a dumb question, but is finding a better-paying, full-time job not an option?

I live and work in the same area (I walk through Couch Park almost daily), and I'm renting a 314 square-foot studio for $750/month. That's about as cheap as they come around here. I've heard of income-restricted buildings in the Pearl, but I imagine there's a looong waiting list to get into one.
I was under the impression for someone with a GED and no college degree 12.50 an hour is amazing. I don't know anyone in my situation who makes that much. And 314 for 750? Ouch, that is STEEP. There are plenty of places for less than that on CL every day. I'm looking more like.. 400-500 range. Of which there are lots that are income restricted and base rent off your income.

But no, I just found the job I have now so I'm really not looking to do the job hunt all over again, especially since it takes so long just to find one, let alone one that pays what I get paid.

Quote:
davemess10 If you can't afford it, don't live downtown or in inner Portland. Thousands of people have to deal with this reality.

Not trying to rain on your parade, but thus is life.
Again.. I already said I was fully aware of the fact that I might not be able to swing it, but I wanted to check my options. For a site about city data, nobody bothered to correct me when I was wrong or offer very helpful information? I was looking to be pointed in a direction, not told 'suck it up, too bad' .. That's ridiculous. I live here, I've lived here for long enough that yes, I understand Portland the city is more expensive.

I guess I should've been more clear in stating that I was specifically interested in hearing from people who have experience with income-restricted apartments, who currently live there, have in the past, or know something about it.

All your suggestions are fine, but again- I already figured out I WILL be living in the city, and it's possible thanks to income restricted places and the fact that according to Portland, 60% of the MFI is 30k, and I make well below that.

Old 05-25-2012, 07:02 PM

10,990 posts, read 20,562,477 times
My brother lived in an income restricted apartment in Portland for 55+ and the disabled. It was well run and had an interesting cast of tenants.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
View detailed profiles of: