Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2012, 01:52 PM

4,828 posts, read 7,449,584 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Frankly Portland would be pretty low on my list of cities I would want to be single in.
But you can't argue that Portland is just full of late 20-30 somethings that are single.
You are correct, the way people live life on the west coast is very different than the east coast.

Quote:
Don't come to portland please, mainly because i'll be there, and thats the last thing portland needs, another material girl, not looking at guys for who they are, but what they have! Please don't come, I sure don't wish to see you there with that attitude..

I don't think that she is looking for material guys, just guys that are marriage material.
Why would any woman want to marry and spend her future supporting a broke loser hippie jobless transient bum?

Last edited by pdxMIKEpdx; 05-25-2012 at 02:03 PM..

Old 05-25-2012, 02:18 PM

42 posts, read 47,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdxMIKEpdx View Post
But you can't argue that Portland is just full of late 20-30 somethings that are single.
You are correct, the way people live life on the west coast is very different than the east coast.

I don't think that she is looking for material guys, just guys that are marriage material.
Why would any woman want to marry and spend her future supporting a broke loser hippie jobless transient bum?
Haha, I don't believe in doing things halfway! Its good to know I've got ALL my bases covered! I'm broke, a loser, jobless, careerless, a transient, a bum, but trust me, I'm NOT a hippy.. I try to avoid them whenever possible(most hippy's I've seen don't believe in showering much, I do though). You have a good point too, I have no money to attact a woman, because thats what they need! Good thing I have no interest in EVER trying to date again huh? I enjoy taking myself out at least.. Its cheaper! hehe

Old 05-25-2012, 02:29 PM

144 posts, read 449,434 times
^

I don't get what your deal is, why you keep posting that all women need money? Women thinking you're lazy isn't the same thing as being uninterested because you don't have money. Sounds like you're just full of excuses.

I support my husband financially right now while he works on getting a better degree. It's about teamwork. I would have zero interest in someone so unmotivated to be a productive member of society. Nothing to do with money.

Old 05-25-2012, 02:45 PM

42 posts, read 47,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JIer View Post
^

I don't get what your deal is, why you keep posting that all women need money? Women thinking you're lazy isn't the same thing as being uninterested because you don't have money. Sounds like you're just full of excuses.

I support my husband financially right now while he works on getting a better degree. It's about teamwork. I would have zero interest in someone so unmotivated to be a productive member of society. Nothing to do with money.
Not having money, career, or a job does NOT equal laziness, I assure you.. I am anything but! I just don't believe in taxes, working for my hard earned money only to have our government take a good percentage by extortion.. I have NOTHING against work whatsoever,but for cash only... I believe people would be far better off living off the "grid" and the government rolls.. I've felt that way ever since I was a teen, and saw how much money the government forces people to hand over.. Its horrific, and should be illegal! Anyone that chooses to take part in this type of "society", as you put it, I have no sympathy for.. The fringes are far more appealing to me.. The extortionist ruling body in control doesn't deserve one dime of our money, too bad more people don't take this stance, we might actually be able to change it!

Old 05-25-2012, 03:14 PM

4,828 posts, read 7,449,584 times
Nm

Old 05-25-2012, 04:07 PM

600 posts, read 1,468,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davemess10 View Post
OP, if your number one priority is marriage I think Austin or Denver, or any other midwestern city will be better than a West Coast city. The West Coast has a kind of delayed life thing going on, where almost everything, marriage, buying a house, kids, jobs are delayed for years. There is definitely a feeling that it's okay and even cool to be single in your 30s here, which is definitely not the case in a lot of the US.
I think a lot of people here are into doing their own thing, and if a relationship happens, great, and if not they just keep doing their own thing.
Frankly Portland would be pretty low on my list of cities I would want to be single in.
This, word for word. The men here are more into their friends, beer, football and lounging around rather than in a relationship. I am in my mid thirties and still have several friends from HS who are single, especially my girl friends.

Old 05-25-2012, 06:29 PM

12 posts, read 32,390 times
Wow. Thanks guys. Mostly helpful. I think even professorjpj helped, by securing my fears of portland men. If a lot of them share his sentiments than...yikes, maybe I will stay here. The jobless, homelss, hippie statement should have been clearifed as it was taken totally the wrong way. Jobless=passionless in my book. Even if he is not working for someone working towards something. Jobless=could also just be reflective of the economy in Portland not the man, another important issue I need to insight on if I'm considering moving. Homeless=did I say that? If so, I wouldn't date a homeless guy, seems he would have bigger things to deal with than a realtionship. Hippie=sure not showering, or other extreme environmental beliefs;though I hold some myself, I'm not full blown into that lifestyle therefore we wouldn't mesh well. Nothing agaisnt it though.
So sensitive on here.
If you're happy how you are, and how you're living that's great, good for you. Don't get all uppidty because I'm looking for something you're not.
I am not materialistic, far from.
I was looking for a general concensus of what to expect if I moved to that area. Thanks Daisy for your response, I sense an overall layed-backness from that region.
Maybe overall people wait until later to get married these days, especially in the city.
I was just hoping the greater number of men in Portland would help out with the odds in meeting a good guy as well. Everyone has heard that NY is flooded with women. Competition is steep here. I know so many beautiful smart woman who settle here. It's crazy.
One must admit there are some stereotypes floating around about Portland, just trying to feel it out.
ALl replies greatly appreciated.

Old 05-25-2012, 06:46 PM

7,743 posts, read 15,862,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by littledesultor View Post
Wow. Thanks guys. Mostly helpful. I think even professorjpj helped, by securing my fears of portland men. If a lot of them share his sentiments than...yikes, maybe I will stay here. The jobless, homelss, hippie statement should have been clearifed as it was taken totally the wrong way. Jobless=passionless in my book. Even if he is not working for someone working towards something. Jobless=could also just be reflective of the economy in Portland not the man, another important issue I need to insight on if I'm considering moving. Homeless=did I say that? If so, I wouldn't date a homeless guy, seems he would have bigger things to deal with than a realtionship. Hippie=sure not showering, or other extreme environmental beliefs;though I hold some myself, I'm not full blown into that lifestyle therefore we wouldn't mesh well. Nothing agaisnt it though.
So sensitive on here.
If you're happy how you are, and how you're living that's great, good for you. Don't get all uppidty because I'm looking for something you're not.
I was looking for a general concensus of what to expect if I moved to that area. Thanks Daisy for your response, I sense an overall layed-backness from that region.
Maybe overall people wait until later to get married these days, especially in the city.
I was just hoping the greater number of men in Portland would help out with the odds in meeting a good guy as well. Everyone has heard that NY is flooded with women. Competition is steep here. I know so many beautiful smart woman who settle here. It's crazy.
One must admit there are some stereotypes floating around about Portland, just trying to feel it out.
The Professor's not from Portland and I believe he hasn't move here just yet. He wouldn't be the right source to hear from in RE: PDX men.

Honestly, Portland, like Seattle, isn't the right place to find marriage. Its more of a partner place, yes... but marriage? Not much of a cultural emphasis on needing to get married. This article also discuss the other aspect of PDX's approach to marriage as well: Youth jobless wrecks housing, spending, marriage rates | Oregon Business News

Old 05-25-2012, 07:19 PM

1,176 posts, read 2,561,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by professorjpj View Post
Not having money, career, or a job does NOT equal laziness, I assure you.. I am anything but! I just don't believe in taxes, working for my hard earned money only to have our government take a good percentage by extortion.. I have NOTHING against work whatsoever,but for cash only... I believe people would be far better off living off the "grid" and the government rolls.. I've felt that way ever since I was a teen, and saw how much money the government forces people to hand over.. Its horrific, and should be illegal! Anyone that chooses to take part in this type of "society", as you put it, I have no sympathy for.. The fringes are far more appealing to me.. The extortionist ruling body in control doesn't deserve one dime of our money, too bad more people don't take this stance, we might actually be able to change it!
Alright, I know this is getting WAY off topic, but I don't feel like letting this one slide. I've been willing to give you the benefit of the doubt, but this is just a blatantly ridiculous statement.

You are so against taxes, and claim the government is "stealing" from you. Yet you want the government (city and state) to provide free places for you to sleep on the sidewalks or in the parks (which are maintained, lit, cleaned, purchased, and planned for by TAX DOLLARS). Sounds like you want everything for nothing.
I think you keep defending the homeless because you are one of the "homeless by choice" folks we've been talking about. You want to take things from society, but don't want to pay taxes for them when you are working?

You just sound like an extremist anarchist. And your anti-tax rant really doesn't make much sense with how much you've stated that you want the right to camp/sleep for free in public spaces.

Old 05-25-2012, 10:10 PM

600 posts, read 1,468,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by littledesultor View Post
So sensitive on here.
Its very laid back. And being jobless almost has an air of coolness to some if that makes any sense? I hate to be cliche and beat a dead horse but watch the You Tube video Portlandia Dream of the 90s and there ya go
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland