Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2012, 09:10 PM

1,176 posts, read 2,561,885 times

Advertisements

What's with all the people talking about Minnesota in this thread? Did I skip message boards again.......

Old 06-14-2012, 11:30 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,433,203 times
Neighbor situations can change quickly. When I first moved into my apartment building about six years ago, it was a real community of friendly people. There are eight apartments in the building. We have a nice courtyard with a huge shade tree and a large backyard.

Our landlord and his wife lived in the building. Every summer he would have a bar-b-que for the tennants in my building and the two adjancent ones he also owned. He even had a drawing with all kinds of prizes, the biggest being a weekend at his beach house. Neighbors would congragate in the courtyard daily in the summer to chat. Not eveyone of course. There were those who kept to themsleves and that was fine.

Last year that all changed. The landlord and his wife moved to a home in Mt Scott. Several neighbors who were the greatest socializers moved away. Those who replaced them pretty much kept to themsleves. The dynamics changed so much so that we became the type of complex where people would say "Hello" but that was about all the socializing they did. Not that anyone is unfriendly or cold, they just go their own way and don't consider their neighbors as friends.

Neighbors don't have to be friends. It all depends upon the circumstances around them. I always found my friends through mutual interests. If those people happen to live next door, fine but I can't expect them to.

Old 06-15-2012, 08:17 AM

1,176 posts, read 2,561,885 times
But again, that's an apartment building with lots of turnover. I think it's different for people who own a home, and are going to be around their neighbors for the long haul. And I"m not even talking about being best friends. I"m just talking about at least having met your neighbors and maybe even knowing their name. Stuff that could actually be helpful in an emergency. Just kind of weird to awkwardly avoid people you see almost every day and not even wave and say "hey"

Old 06-15-2012, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davemess10 View Post
But again, that's an apartment building with lots of turnover. I think it's different for people who own a home, and are going to be around their neighbors for the long haul. And I"m not even talking about being best friends. I"m just talking about at least having met your neighbors and maybe even knowing their name. Stuff that could actually be helpful in an emergency. Just kind of weird to awkwardly avoid people you see almost every day and not even wave and say "hey"
Actually, my apartment building has very little turnover but the tenants who moved were more or less the catalysts in getting everyone together. In these times, with occupancy of homes changing more often with foreclosures and resales, maybe it's kind of like apartment dwellers who are more likely to
come and go more frequently.

I've always gotten friendly hellos from my neighbors but then I am usually the one to say it first. Beyond that, I have occasionally made friends with them but only those with whom I clicked as I would have had I met them any other place.

In Portland, the new person has to take the initiative most of the time. I have found for the most part whatever level acquaintance they are seeking, they are the ones who have to take the initiative.

Old 06-15-2012, 03:54 PM

5,147 posts, read 7,473,761 times
Funny to me that people can go to bars and cafes and strike up conversation with strangers, but not do the same with their neighbors. I took a long train trip, and I experienced "social dining" where the fill tables one at a time, with the result that most people end up eating with strangers. I'm not a very social person, but I warmed up to these strangers with amazing speed.

Old 06-15-2012, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beenhere4ever View Post
Funny to me that people can go to bars and cafes and strike up conversation with strangers, but not do the same with their neighbors. I took a long train trip, and I experienced "social dining" where the fill tables one at a time, with the result that most people end up eating with strangers. I'm not a very social person, but I warmed up to these strangers with amazing speed.
Not so strange. I always had the theory that people were more relaxed and therefore likely to talk to a stranger when they made the choice to speak. It's the distance. The idea of living so near to our neighbors as we do in the city. We feel we want to guard our privacy more closely because we are practically living with them.

In a situation where we meet strangers; a bus, a train a restaurant, we know we will probably never see them again. So we can say just about anything. But we have to face our neighbors day after day. It's being closer than what we may be comfortable with.

Last edited by Minervah; 06-15-2012 at 05:08 PM..

Old 06-15-2012, 05:00 PM

6,413 posts, read 12,138,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beenhere4ever View Post
Did you invite them out to dinner when you reached your destination? Do you still keep in contact with them?

I'm sure most people have the same experience with their neighbors. When the situation occurs, they act sociably. But that doesn't mean they seek them out to create social occasions.

I know who most of my neighbors are, and I'm friendly to them on the rare occasions I see them. But I'm not friends with them. Our lives just don't intersect.

The last time I remember really becoming friendly with a neighbor was decades ago, during my apartment days. And I became the patsy who was forever asked to babysit their kids. I was happy to move ... I wasn't aggressive enough to say no, when I had no good reason not to, other than I just didn't want to.

Old 06-15-2012, 06:12 PM

1,012 posts, read 1,543,238 times
That sucks - you should never have to be taken advantage of as a free babysitter, EnricoV!

Not to contradict what is being said here, but I don't find strangers to be chattier than neighbors. People look at me like I'm from another planet when I say something to them. I don't think small talk is part of the culture here, for the most part. A lot of people seem rather dour and very, very serious.

Again, this is just the opinion of an outsider.

Old 06-15-2012, 08:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by turquoise1 View Post
That sucks - you should never have to be taken advantage of as a free babysitter, EnricoV!

Not to contradict what is being said here, but I don't find strangers to be chattier than neighbors. People look at me like I'm from another planet when I say something to them. I don't think small talk is part of the culture here, for the most part. A lot of people seem rather dour and very, very serious.

Again, this is just the opinion of an outsider.
Hey, turquoise1, you should try taking the Belmont bus. Lots of people will talk to you. If they're not talking to themselves that is. Or their imaginary friends.

Old 06-15-2012, 10:53 PM

1,012 posts, read 1,543,238 times
That is the one exception, Minervah! Lots of deranged people are delighted to talk to me. I find myself even talking back and having a rare conversation.

On a more serious note, I wonder if a sense of social isolation and insularity contributes to people's mental issues.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland