Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2012, 11:16 AM

3,805 posts, read 6,355,367 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by turquoise1 View Post
You know someone personally, or just don't see someone's posts on here anymore?
I know someone personally.

Old 05-29-2012, 05:40 PM

10,990 posts, read 20,562,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leisesturm View Post
A 'good' troll will not always use offensive vocabulary or make blatantly offensive references but it gives me pause sometimes when I see well meant and thoughtful answers to questions that make my hair curl.

H
Well said. Maybe we need a phrase like "Norwegians do not feed offensive Trolls! Consider ignoring this one."

FWIW my Norwegian grandfather left me lots of books about Trolls.

Old 05-29-2012, 06:31 PM

682 posts, read 1,578,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by christiner81 View Post
i kinda like how it is here. on the phoenix board they are snipping things left and right. no off topic discussion allowed. that's no fun.
Amen to that. They snip like snipers in the Valley of the Sun's forum.

Old 05-29-2012, 09:41 PM

1,176 posts, read 2,562,523 times
So based on the fact that we have 12 responses here and no "OilDog" reply yet, safe to say the Portland forum is not very heavily moderated.

I too know of someone who was recently banned, quite unfairly I believe. (I think we're talking about the same person).

Old 05-29-2012, 10:02 PM

1,012 posts, read 1,543,539 times
When you are banned, are you banned from the entire site, or just a particular forum?

Also, it seems strange that there is banning, but no moderation.

Old 05-29-2012, 10:03 PM

Heck, I am a an aged flower child. Never to be unjustly banned is never to have lived.

Old 05-30-2012, 12:54 AM

9,855 posts, read 11,928,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davemess10 View Post
So based on the fact that we have 12 responses here and no "OilDog" reply yet, safe to say the Portland forum is not very heavily moderated.

I too know of someone who was recently banned, quite unfairly I believe. (I think we're talking about the same person).
You can't be serious. I know that you have more candlepower than to think that OilDog or any other moderator would respond in a thread about matters of moderation. You must be waxing nostalgic for a recent moderator who was quite active and obvious. Somehow I thought that was before you joined. If true, you would have loved him. Maybe. In your second paragraph you say you know someone who was recently banned. Which is it then? Is there moderation here or is there not? I'm not picking on you but, really, it begs the question. BTW as far as I know it is against TOS to even be discussing this. Are you trying to get us all banned?

H

Old 05-30-2012, 08:48 AM

I am an active participant in another board with a mod committee. They do an excellent job moderating the conversation and will from time to time suspend a poster after warning. In this board, in general, there are posters who think it is cute to be rude, they will respond with 'just kidding' in an effort to defend their behavior. Not acceptable in my opinion.

If a mod is overwhelmed and one poster is flagged a couple times even unjustly the mod may suspend them before considering the circumstances. Not right but understandable.

Last edited by Nell Plotts; 05-30-2012 at 09:53 AM..

Old 05-30-2012, 08:49 AM

1,818 posts, read 3,836,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bledsoe3 View Post
The Las Vegas board is the same.
Quote:
Originally Posted by christiner81 View Post
i kinda like how it is here. on the phoenix board they are snipping things left and right. no off topic discussion allowed. that's no fun.
It's the same moderator for Phoenix and Vegas.

Old 05-30-2012, 09:12 AM

1,176 posts, read 2,562,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leisesturm View Post
You can't be serious. I know that you have more candlepower than to think that OilDog or any other moderator would respond in a thread about matters of moderation. You must be waxing nostalgic for a recent moderator who was quite active and obvious. Somehow I thought that was before you joined. If true, you would have loved him. Maybe. In your second paragraph you say you know someone who was recently banned. Which is it then? Is there moderation here or is there not? I'm not picking on you but, really, it begs the question. BTW as far as I know it is against TOS to even be discussing this. Are you trying to get us all banned?

H
Why is moderation some big secret? Other boards have very open moderators (with "moderator" next to their name), and they post all the time. They even will write up explanations for why they take certain actions.
You're making it sound like some wizard of Oz, behind the scenes of city-data. I have never really known a moderator on here, it's just something I have been curious about for a while.

Maybe there is moderation but it is all done behind the scenes, hush hush.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland