U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Thanksgiving Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 06-02-2012, 09:42 PM
 
Location: las vegas
65 posts, read 42,456 times
Reputation: 62

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonkramer View Post
i will be graduating soon from portland state university and the only job i was able to find is a $9.50 per-hour 40 hour a week security position near downtown. my current expenses are roughly $440 from health and car insurance. i have no dependents and i own my truck. prior to taxes i estimate that my income should be around $1200 per month.

can you give me an idea of where i should be looking for housing?
Normally I don't do this, but seeing the bad AND unpractical advice you are getting(same thing happened to me when I ask a legitimate question here) I HAVE to intercede.. I am kind of a specialist when it comes to living dirt poor on minimal income.. Been doing it for 41 years! First advice, get RID of your gas vehicle.. That will cut your total expenses by half or more! Second, insurance too.. Get a CHEAP bicycle, and peddle wherever you need to go! 3rd, ONLY rent from individuals, no complexes, no agencies, etc.. Try to rent a small room in someones house, or arrange a trustworthy roommate.. 4th, LIVE FRUGALLY! Get a cheap used video game system for entertainment to keep your spending at almost zero, and never eat out! Cook cheap hot dogs and noodles.. Its easily possible to live on minimum(or less), if you learn these basic principals.. All these are very basic, and they work if you wish to sustain yourself on little money.. Very practical stuff!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 06-02-2012, 09:47 PM
 
Location: Sometimes Portland, other times LA
600 posts, read 816,004 times
Reputation: 229
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonkramer View Post
all i want to know is where to live. from what ive been told north west tends to be higher class and thus out of my price range. 82nd has a high crime rate and would be less desirable. i can figure out all the money stuff as needed. but i have no idea what sectors of the city are relatively cheap with lower crime rates. it would be annoying to move in to an area only to find out after it has a high crime rate after my stuff has been stolen. buy hay, if no one here is willing to help then ill just figure stuff out on my own. nice to know people are so damn friendly.
People are being honest, not unfriendly. I realize its not what you want to hear but its the truth. Lower crime neighborhoods arent cheap.
I will humor you though. So after insurance is taken out of your monthly pay you will have $760 left. You need to estimate your living expenses (utilities, gas, food, etc. etc) and then see what is left. I am guessing it will be in the neighborhood of $500. Then look at Craigslist and see what is available...a room for rent, studio, someone looking for roommates perhaps. THEN come back and ask us about the neighborhoods you find rentals in. Like another poster said, dont put the cart before the horse. This is just a lesson in budgeting, one every adult has to make as a part of life. Dont take our responses for anything more than that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-02-2012, 11:34 PM
 
Location: Forest Grove, OR
730 posts, read 621,852 times
Reputation: 601
this isn't advice you would want to hear but if i was graduating from university and the best job i could find locally was 9.50/hr, i would move somewhere else that i could get a job using my degree, OR a job that paid higher. don't get me wrong, i've never been a very high wage earner, but for that kind of wage i'd want something on my resume that was relevant to my education and that I could leverage in the future for a better position.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-03-2012, 02:41 PM
 
Location: Stumptown
2,224 posts, read 4,544,004 times
Reputation: 1461
At least 2 years (possibly 4?) living in Portland and you have no idea where to live... Wow. This is why I refused to attend PSU.

Anyway, I agree with christiner81...

If you're keeping your car (and all the related expenses) then I'd see what you can realistically afford, then look for a roommate situation wherever you can find. Portland is not an unsafe city so anywhere is going to be alright... Use "common sense" and you will almost certainly not get anything of yours stolen. I have never had anything stolen from me because I don't leave things in my car and I lock my house and car doors, etc. Good luck.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-03-2012, 07:33 PM
 
Location: las vegas
65 posts, read 42,456 times
Reputation: 62
Trust me.. Abolish your unnecessary expenses like car and insurance(and all the various fees associated with such), find a very cheap room, get a used bicycle, and you're set.. Thats all you need to know.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-04-2012, 12:24 AM
 
Location: SE Portland, OR
1,167 posts, read 1,280,249 times
Reputation: 597
Quote:
Originally Posted by backdrifter View Post
At least 2 years (possibly 4?) living in Portland and you have no idea where to live... Wow. This is why I refused to attend PSU.
That was my thought too. OP has obviously been living in Portland (unless he has exclusively taken online classes outside or the area, Can you do that?), and PSU is right down town, so I don't really think of it as being in a bubble, where a student wouldn't have been to other parts of the city.
This is a just a really weird post from someone who already lives in Portland.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-04-2012, 08:26 AM
 
Location: Myrtle Creek, Oregon
3,745 posts, read 4,321,812 times
Reputation: 4024
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnimalloverJJD View Post
Normally I don't do this, but seeing the bad AND unpractical advice you are getting(same thing happened to me when I ask a legitimate question here) I HAVE to intercede.. I am kind of a specialist when it comes to living dirt poor on minimal income.. Been doing it for 41 years! First advice, get RID of your gas vehicle.. That will cut your total expenses by half or more! Second, insurance too.. Get a CHEAP bicycle, and peddle wherever you need to go! 3rd, ONLY rent from individuals, no complexes, no agencies, etc.. Try to rent a small room in someones house, or arrange a trustworthy roommate.. 4th, LIVE FRUGALLY! Get a cheap used video game system for entertainment to keep your spending at almost zero, and never eat out! Cook cheap hot dogs and noodles.. Its easily possible to live on minimum(or less), if you learn these basic principals.. All these are very basic, and they work if you wish to sustain yourself on little money.. Very practical stuff!!
This is exactly right. I went through a divorce in the 1980 recession, which was a really ugly time to live in Oregon. I was deeply in debt and couldn't find a good paying job, so I worked two jobs and lived in a one room studio apartment. I didn't go anywhere or eat out for 3 years. My entire entertainment budget was a magazine subscription a month and a library card. When I had my debts paid off I kept saving, and at the end of 3 years I treated myself to 3 months in Europe, and still had a down payment on a house.

Way too many people don't have the discipline to be successfully poor, so they stay poor their whole lives.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-04-2012, 09:25 AM
 
Location: Sometimes Portland, other times LA
600 posts, read 816,004 times
Reputation: 229
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Caldwell View Post
This is exactly right. I went through a divorce in the 1980 recession, which was a really ugly time to live in Oregon. I was deeply in debt and couldn't find a good paying job, so I worked two jobs and lived in a one room studio apartment. I didn't go anywhere or eat out for 3 years. My entire entertainment budget was a magazine subscription a month and a library card. When I had my debts paid off I kept saving, and at the end of 3 years I treated myself to 3 months in Europe, and still had a down payment on a house.

Way too many people don't have the discipline to be successfully poor, so they stay poor their whole lives.
And not only that but they feel they NEED things like a car, cable tv, an Iphone and all the other crap theyve become accustomed to having because their parents provided them with it. Take my brother in law: he is 29 years old. He is just now graduating college (he has only attended 3 since he graduated HS). His parents pay for his:

Cell phone
Car
Car insurance
His dog's care and vet bills
Health insurance (he cant be covered under them because he is too old)
Groceries
Utilities and rent for (get this) a PENTHOUSE waterfront apartment downtown (he needs to be close to school you know)

This guy is a grown a$$ man who needs his parents to survive. Its going to be a huge wake up call when this guy graduates and cannot afford this lifestyle on his own. But when your parents enable you then wind up with these kinds of folks we have now leaving school who are entitled and have no knowledge of how to take care of themselves. I am terrified of this generation
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-04-2012, 09:38 AM
 
Location: las vegas
65 posts, read 42,456 times
Reputation: 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daisy32673 View Post
And not only that but they feel they NEED things like a car, cable tv, an Iphone and all the other crap theyve become accustomed to having because their parents provided them with it. Take my brother in law: he is 29 years old. He is just now graduating college (he has only attended 3 since he graduated HS). His parents pay for his:

Cell phone
Car
Car insurance
His dog's care and vet bills
Health insurance (he cant be covered under them because he is too old)
Groceries
Utilities and rent for (get this) a PENTHOUSE waterfront apartment downtown (he needs to be close to school you know)

This guy is a grown a$$ man who needs his parents to survive. Its going to be a huge wake up call when this guy graduates and cannot afford this lifestyle on his own. But when your parents enable you then wind up with these kinds of folks we have now leaving school who are entitled and have no knowledge of how to take care of themselves. I am terrified of this generation
REALLY? Wish I had parents like that, but alas, my father left b4 I was born, and my mother was so poor she would actually steal from me! Whatever change I could wrangle up in elementary school would get stolen fast! If my grandparents got me a present, as soon as they were gone she would sell MY presents for cigarette money! We rarely had much to eat, most of the time it was mayo sandwiches.. So needless to say, I KNOW how to live frugally, and as dirt cheap as possible.. Certain things most people take for granted are luxuries, but they don't realize it..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-04-2012, 09:50 AM
 
Location: Sometimes Portland, other times LA
600 posts, read 816,004 times
Reputation: 229
Yep, not exaggerating at all. Its pretty pathetic. He is "very intimidated" by people (us - his brother and I) who are successful and able to afford little luxuries. This is actually code for I dont have any motivation and dont expect too much out of me. You would think he would quit wasting timeand get a resume together or start interviewing for jobs. No time for that, the gym is too important.

I am not implying at all that the OP is like this at all but please do your homework when you budget for yourself. Dont expect others to take care of you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
Similar Threads
View detailed profiles of:

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top