Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2012, 06:54 AM

66 posts, read 228,132 times

Advertisements

i will be graduating soon from portland state university and the only job i was able to find is a $9.50 per-hour 40 hour a week security position near downtown. my current expenses are roughly $440 from health and car insurance. i have no dependents and i own my truck. prior to taxes i estimate that my income should be around $1200 per month.

can you give me an idea of where i should be looking for housing?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2012, 09:37 AM

600 posts, read 1,468,669 times
You should look for a roommate first, then housing

Old 06-02-2012, 10:17 AM

132 posts, read 324,010 times
is everyone here retarded?

lol, if you need to ask.

you might consider moving back in w/ mom and dad.

seriously, figure out on your own how much you can afford.

Old 06-02-2012, 11:14 AM

600 posts, read 1,468,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aajn1983 View Post
is everyone here retarded?

lol, if you need to ask.

you might consider moving back in w/ mom and dad.

seriously, figure out on your own how much you can afford.
I agree. Makes me worry about all these kids graduating from college who have absolutely no budgeting skills whatsoever or have no clue about how to take care of themselves. I dont know about the OPs situation, but I am sick and tired of seeing these people turned loose after years of being enabled and coddled by their parents.
In all seriousness though to the OP, figure out what your monthly budget is. By that I mean rent, groceries, utilities, cell phone, insurance, gas, entertainment/clothing and any other monthly expenses you will have. If you dont know what your utilities would be, ask. Call an apartment/landlord where you are interested in living and ask them what the averages are. But you may want to consider living where you are and saving up a bit or getting a roommate

Old 06-02-2012, 12:05 PM

1,257 posts, read 2,653,547 times
Default Ouch

Being a graduate doesn't guarantee much these days. Yes, we get entirely too much of our own personal responsibility carried for us until we are "adults". A little late to learn to do "the math" on what it will cost to live on your own.

The advice I would give anyone is:
Grab a pencil and something to write on (pizza box will do)
Add up all of your current costs.
Add up all your current net income (after taxes).
Subtract the costs from the income.

If you have a positive number (more math again) you might have a shot at living indoors.

Seriously, if you have graduated college and don't know what a spread sheet is... A college guidance counselor somewhere needs a severe whipping...

Apache Open office is FREE! Get it, learn to use it, and you might be able to add a use able skill to your freshly minted graduate self.

Old 06-02-2012, 06:29 PM

66 posts, read 228,132 times
all i want to know is where to live. from what ive been told north west tends to be higher class and thus out of my price range. 82nd has a high crime rate and would be less desirable. i can figure out all the money stuff as needed. but i have no idea what sectors of the city are relatively cheap with lower crime rates. it would be annoying to move in to an area only to find out after it has a high crime rate after my stuff has been stolen. buy hay, if no one here is willing to help then ill just figure stuff out on my own. nice to know people are so damn friendly.

Old 06-02-2012, 07:14 PM

381 posts, read 1,016,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonkramer View Post
all i want to know is where to live. from what ive been told north west tends to be higher class and thus out of my price range. 82nd has a high crime rate and would be less desirable.
Then you have a good start.

Now you just need to do a bit of research... start with Craigslist to get a feel of how much rent will cost in given areas. The rest should start falling into place.

Personally? You'd be better off looking for a roommate or two to split the rent with. That, or get used to the idea of commuting a good distance from a cheaper area.

Old 06-02-2012, 07:18 PM

6,413 posts, read 12,143,960 times
Quote:
all i want to know is where to live. from what ive been told north west tends to be higher class and thus out of my price range. 82nd has a high crime rate and would be less desirable. i can figure out all the money stuff as needed. but i have no idea what sectors of the city are relatively cheap with lower crime rates. it would be annoying to move in to an area only to find out after it has a high crime rate after my stuff has been stolen. buy hay, if no one here is willing to help then ill just figure stuff out on my own. nice to know people are so damn friendly.
It is totally unrealistic for there even to be a neighborhood where rent is really cheap and there is no crime. You're asking for pie in the sky, which is probably why no one is offering suggestions.

Face it. "Relatively cheap" pretty much guarantees you higher crime rates.

Oh, and by the way ... nice 'tude.

Old 06-02-2012, 07:24 PM

1,012 posts, read 1,543,661 times
portland apts/housing for rent classifieds - craigslist

Old 06-02-2012, 07:31 PM

192 posts, read 454,557 times
Quote:
You are putting the cart before the horse; that's what some of the posters are trying to get you to see. The money thing will not just work itself out. If landlords still go by the guideline of not renting to you if your rent exceeds about 1/3 of your income, then you have $400 to spend on rent. Let's pretend you actually find an apartment for $400. After the $440 for insurance is removed, that leaves you with $90/week for utilities, gas, cell phone, food, clothing, etc etc etc. That's 12 bucks a day. That would take the sort of self control and careful planing that your posts don't appear to show you have at this point.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland