U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2012, 01:13 AM

227 posts, read 174,076 times
Default So what is with the constant complaining about Portland anyway? Especially jobs?

I'm asking for some more clarrification on all this sad and wooo is Portland that I keep hearing about from alot of people, both from Portland and not.

I've been thinking of getting outa Montana for years near and i've always had a thing for Portland since my college days back in early 2000. Now that im nearing 32 with a good paying, and steady job, back to being single with no debt other then my car, im starting to really feel at times I need to get outa my homestate and town that i've been in the last 32 years.

My limitations are that I dont' believe I can handle a huge urban city like Seattle, though it is a very cool town. I need something thats laid back like my town of Missoula but with just more options, more people, more woman my age and type, more things to do ect..ect...

I work in IT and like I said, im pretty happy with my job. I get paid pretty well, nearly 37k which is good for my area, have full benefits and am pretty secure despite the economic turmoil the last several years, thanks in part to our very large contract with a VERY large nation wide investment firm that I do IT work for outa home.

That being said, I'd be looking for replacement IT work if I'm not able to transfer with my current company to the area of Portland, mostly due to a position being open. I mostly major in customer support, hardware installation, maintenance, repair and some software management. I realize of course that going to the Portland area along with more opportunities I'm also facing stiff competition among alot more people with more experience and certifications that I currently have.

But i've seen the available jobs just on monster.com alone in regards to the computer industry in general in Portland and surrounding area's and it seems to quit a selection from what I can tell. So honestly, what is with the continual doom and gloom I keep hearing from peeps everytime I ask about more info about Portland?

I guess I better state my absolutes in regards to my standards of living so people are aware:

1. I WILL NOT be sharing an living space with anyone. Period. End of discussion. If the economy is that poor that people have to bunk up in Portland, i'll just stay in my state and tough it out awhile longer.
2. I WILL drive my car and will not reduce my desire to drive it around. I can see myself picking up a replacement bike if I end up moving to Portland for fun, but for work and general transportation, forget it. Hate me all I want, I love my gasoline burning car with heated leather and AC
3. I WILL NOT live in any apts other then town housing where I have an upper and lower floor to myself or a duplex. I have sound systems for my gaming PC and entertainment systems, I am not dealing with people above or below me.

And for the of God, I grew up in a state that has more weather patterns that change and turn from good to crappy in a matter of minutes that will make your Portland eyes spin in your sockets, along with real winters and poor driving conditions so your guy's whining about the constant dreary weather in Portland does not bother me. Hell, having constant and reliable, dreary and rainy weather would be an improvement in my eyes. I mostly do my hobbies indoors, so its no big deal to me.

And if your gonna pull the "Its full of Liberals and hippies, so it sucks" angle. Please...I grew up in a college town full of, college educated, stuck up hippies and liberals, its nothing new to me. I'm personally a Centrist in regards to politics in general, some right wing, some left wing, depending on the topic.

Last edited by 1ceTr0n; 06-09-2012 at 01:23 AM..

Old 06-09-2012, 01:22 AM

65 posts, read 38,726 times
The things that you own, end up owning you.. Only a man that loses everything is free to do anything...

Old 06-09-2012, 01:24 AM

227 posts, read 174,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnimalloverJJD View Post
The things that you own, end up owning you.. Only a man that loses everything is free to do anything...

Yes, an entertaining movie to be sure, but **** poor for giving life living lessons to be learned. Try again

Old 06-09-2012, 04:40 AM

6,415 posts, read 5,136,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnimalloverJJD View Post
So what, you're going for that "Most Helpful Poster" contest? Such great, and helpful advice.

Old 06-09-2012, 06:35 AM

2,613 posts, read 2,519,312 times
Just did a quick calculation. Assuming you find a job earning $37k here, after taxes you'll likely take home about $2200/month give or take. The kind of housing you require will probably be somewhere in the range of $1000 to $1400, not including utilities. You can do the math from there. If the numbers are OK with you, then you'll probably be very happy here.

Old 06-09-2012, 08:38 AM

1,167 posts, read 1,191,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ceTr0n View Post
And for the of God, I grew up in a state that has more weather patterns that change and turn from good to crappy in a matter of minutes that will make your Portland eyes spin in your sockets, along with real winters and poor driving conditions so your guy's whining about the constant dreary weather in Portland does not bother me. Hell, having constant and reliable, dreary and rainy weather would be an improvement in my eyes. I mostly do my hobbies indoors, so its no big deal to me.

And if your gonna pull the "Its full of Liberals and hippies, so it sucks" angle. Please...I grew up in a college town full of, college educated, stuck up hippies and liberals, its nothing new to me. I'm personally a Centrist in regards to politics in general, some right wing, some left wing, depending on the topic.
I think quotes like these are the reason so many local posters on here mostly give gloomy advice to people. There are so many would be movers on here who are just convinced that they already know about Portland and of course they'll love it. Your weather statements are an indication of this kind of mentality. Mountain state weather is DRASTICALLY different than PNW weather. The idea that "Well the winters are way milder than where I"m from, so it'll be a piece of cake" is frankly just dangerous. So you've been through some snow storms, have been through a winter where it's sunny only about 1 out of every 14 days for 8 months straight. Have you lived in a place where in June the average temperature has been hovering barely around 60 and we've pretty much had rain for the last 10 days (as in this weather isn't very different from January)? And this is supposed to be the summer? You're just not going to get that kind of weather in Montana, and you really won't have a firm grasp of what living in that kind of weather for years is going to be like. People stress the weather here, because it's very unique and pretty important to being able to live in this area.

If you're hearing doom and gloom, most of the time it is due to crazy optimistic people who want to move here, and are convinced they know more about the city than people who actually do live here.

I agree with you though, I don't think the jobs situation is as bad here as everyone says. I also think you may be underestimating how much bigger than Missoula Portland actually is.

So far you haven't really told us why you want to move here, other than for a change. You don't sound like you're too into the "liberal, hippie" culture. You're from Missoula, so I'll assume you're maybe into outdoor stuff (though the gaming comments and I do indoor things would differ), is that the reason?

Have you been to Portland much?

Old 06-09-2012, 08:54 AM

600 posts, read 769,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davemess10 View Post
I think quotes like these are the reason so many local posters on here mostly give gloomy advice to people. There are so many would be movers on here who are just convinced that they already know about Portland and of course they'll love it. Your weather statements are an indication of this kind of mentality. Mountain state weather is DRASTICALLY different than PNW weather. The idea that "Well the winters are way milder than where I"m from, so it'll be a piece of cake" is frankly just dangerous. So you've been through some snow storms, have been through a winter where it's sunny only about 1 out of every 14 days for 8 months straight. Have you lived in a place where in June the average temperature has been hovering barely around 60 and we've pretty much had rain for the last 10 days (as in this weather isn't very different from January)? And this is supposed to be the summer? You're just not going to get that kind of weather in Montana, and you really won't have a firm grasp of what living in that kind of weather for years is going to be like. People stress the weather here, because it's very unique and pretty important to being able to live in this area.

If you're hearing doom and gloom, most of the time it is due to crazy optimistic people who want to move here, and are convinced they know more about the city than people who actually do live here.

I agree with you though, I don't think the jobs situation is as bad here as everyone says. I also think you may be underestimating how much bigger than Missoula Portland actually is.

So far you haven't really told us why you want to move here, other than for a change. You don't sound like you're too into the "liberal, hippie" culture. You're from Missoula, so I'll assume you're maybe into outdoor stuff (though the gaming comments and I do indoor things would differ), is that the reason?

Have you been to Portland much?
Well said Dave. I am also wondering why one would want to move here if it sounds like they have a pretty established life where they are. Also seems like your money would go a lot farther in MT but maybe I am wrong.
I also dont get the "I already know a lot about Portland" mentality.

Old 06-09-2012, 09:10 AM

11 posts, read 21,082 times
sounds pretentious and anti-social.

will fit right in here.

Old 06-09-2012, 10:00 AM

932 posts, read 810,885 times
Definatley use your vacation time to spend some time in Portland and not in the summer time. It lets you get a feel for the area. I grew up in Bozeman and the big difference is the sun. It can be -40 with a measly 4ft of snow but the sun is out. Not in Portland. Subconciously, it can get to you. Not saying it will but if you are happy going out and about in th erain you will be fine. It is the people who think they will melt if they get wet or can't live without a sunny sky that can't make it.

As for IT jobs. I feel like the PNW is the new silicon valley. Lots of options for you if you are good at what you do. I, myself would be cautious not to actually move until you have a job out in Portland.

The cost of living is definitely a bit higher that Missoula but not unbearable like LA or NYC. Since you are not shackled to public transportation you can live pretty much anywhere in the area.

Good luck!

Old 06-09-2012, 10:20 AM

7,642 posts, read 7,319,169 times
To the OP:

This is coming from one who has lived here for 34 years. The problem with the Portland-Metro job economy is that there have always been a lot more people moving in than there are comfortable jobs to accommodate for. There have been periods when the job market was healthier (a few years here in the 80's and a few in the 90's) but, like I wrote, those years were FEW. In the 50s thru the late-70's Tektronix was the major employer with Intel in its infancy. Of course, now it's the other way around, and with Intel expanding there should be some IT positions opening. But, there are MANY IT people who have been struggling / out of work. With Intel's current growth this may be the opportune time for you.

I don't know about the rest of the state but Portland can be very difficult for smaller businesses due to all the bureaucrazy (note the spelling). And businesses continue to close. So, no, I am not inclined to agree with the Portland-Metro job economy is over-blown.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland