Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2012, 10:19 AM

11 posts, read 13,977 times

Advertisements

Yes, I am well aware of Portlanders who are not very happy about people moving into Portland… I have nothing against that mindful and cautious behavior. I agree that if one likes his town/village/city one should preserve it the way it is.
However, we (my husband and I) are seriously thinking to move to Portland . There are many reasons for this move: we want to be able to afford a house, we love outdoors, we like the mood, the coast, the green movement… I fell in love with Oregon when we vacationed here several years ago. Everything felt right for me. So after several years and some research done we finally trying.
The problem is, will I find a job? My husband is transferring within his company which will give us some financial security for some time. I am loosing a pretty much secure job in NY and planning to do just ANYTHING to survive; there is no way I am staying home. My skills are very broad because I’ve worked lots of different jobs during my life. I have a bachelor in music, associate degree in graphic design and illustration, I am a certified pharmacy tech and for past several years I worked as an office manager. Of course, I understand, nobody cares that I learn fast and can be friendlier than people who don’t care about small talk. I also understand that the hourly rate will be much smaller than in NY (I have no problem comparing expenses).
Eventually, I’d love to have my own business, but now I need help finding the direction. Do you think, it would be possible to find a job? At least part time?
The second question: where should we look for temporary apartment if we would like a quiet area with public transportation available and small shops within walking distance?
(I am new to these kind of forums, so please, forgive if I posted in a wrong place)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2012, 11:02 AM

2,515 posts, read 5,024,224 times
You posted in the right place. It is possible to find a job in Portland - not necessarily easy, but possible. Maybe start by signing up with a temp agency.

As for where to live, start with where your husband's job is, and use the local transit website TriMet: Public Transportation for the Portland, Oregon, Metro Area to see which transit connections are nearby. Then the people here will be able to offer more specific suggestions.

Old 06-13-2012, 09:13 AM

Thanks, Rob.
My husband's job will be all over Portland, we can and wish to choose a nice quiet place. I emphasize quiet, because coming from New York, we are tired of noise and sigarette smoke. I have a daughter, but she is in college already, so I don't need to stick to good school district. However, I don't mind living close to families with kids. Most likely we would love to have a park in a walking distance for morning exercise.

Old 06-13-2012, 10:43 AM

All over Portland... sounds like an interesting job. Anyway, there are lots of quiet neighborhood streets. You might want to look near Laurelhurst Park and Mt. Tabor Park on the east side, or Gabriel Park and Washington Park and Forest Park on the west side. There are lots of others, those are just the big ones that come to mind first.

Old 06-13-2012, 12:39 PM

478 posts, read 881,863 times
I love living here, and m negative comments are few! But I did pick up on "we are tired of noise and sigarette smoke."

One of the things that has puzzled and disappointed me is how much public smoking there is in Portland (I am incredibly allergic to cigarette smoke). I have never been to New York, so I can't compare, but I have been shocked by how many people here seem quite content to smoke in the presence of others. I even see people with their kids in tow puffing away...

My experience may be biased as I work in Old Town/Chinatown, and the homeless, teens and bar-hopping hipsters that are a major segment of the population there seem to smoke at a far higher rate than other people. But I do find that I have to plan my lunchtime walks carefully to avoid smokers as much as possible.

Again, YMMV, depending on where you're coming from, and, as much as I hate smoking, the other benefits of living here outweigh my discomfit at the filthy toxic habits of others.

Old 06-13-2012, 12:53 PM

1,012 posts, read 1,543,661 times
I too hate cigarettes. I just try to walk out of the path. NYC is just as bad. The nice thing about Portland is that it smells much better than NYC, with the clean air, rain, grass and flowers.

Old 06-13-2012, 12:57 PM

Rob,
I checked Laurelhurst Park prices and images, looks very nice and expensive. A lot of people here recomend that area, more than any other park. Would you explain, why?

crisw,
I love light and big windows and I enjoyed it until we got neighbors (Asians) who smoke all the time. Living in a dense areas of Brooklyn, it is hard to avoid smoke and noise. What kills me, that I can't keep my windows open in summer either because of the smoke or the noise. Morning yoga always get interrupted by smell of the smoke and I have to stop and close the window. Not even mentioning other times of the day.

Old 06-13-2012, 02:15 PM

Laurelhurst is a really nice neighborhood with big older homes and mature trees, the park is especially beautiful, and it's close to downtown so it's easy to get to everything. See also: Ladd's Addition.

Old 06-13-2012, 10:22 PM

1,176 posts, read 2,562,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crisw View Post

One of the things that has puzzled and disappointed me is how much public smoking there is in Portland (I am incredibly allergic to cigarette smoke). I have never been to New York, so I can't compare, but I have been shocked by how many people here seem quite content to smoke in the presence of others. I even see people with their kids in tow puffing away...
My wife and I have been shocked at the amount of smokers in this city, especially younger people. It's just so at odds with a city that has an outside reputation of being such a "healthy" place to live.

It's like Portland didn't get the memo that smoking is bad for you. That or the rain makes everyone crazy.

Old 06-13-2012, 11:08 PM

1,012 posts, read 1,543,661 times
Portland is a city of contradictions!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
View detailed profiles of: