U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2012, 03:50 PM

3,730 posts, read 4,306,215 times

Advertisements

People in Portland seem pretty ordinary to me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2012, 03:57 PM

13,540 posts, read 10,439,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Caldwell View Post
People in Portland seem pretty ordinary to me.
The majority of people here I think are. It's been a long time since I lived in Chicago but I think that it has its "weirdo" sections of town just like most cities. But a in a large city like Chicago or New York the various and differing neighborhoods are further away from each other so you would have to travel to whatever type you were looking for. In a small city like Portland neighborhoods are more concentrated so it may appear that people are more of one type clustered together.

Old 06-16-2012, 04:28 PM

156 posts, read 205,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post
The majority of people here I think are. It's been a long time since I lived in Chicago but I think that it has its "weirdo" sections of town just like most cities. But a in a large city like Chicago or New York the various and differing neighborhoods are further away from each other so you would have to travel to whatever type you were looking for. In a small city like Portland neighborhoods are more concentrated so it may appear that people are more of one type clustered together.

This is absolutely true Minervah. In Chicago where I'm from, certain sections of the city has its weirdos, I think about Wicker Park, Boys Town, Streeterville, parts of Wrigleyville as areas where you are most likely to find people who may be considered odd by societal standards. The samedynamic applies to NYC. But because Chicago and NYC are much bigger cities than Portland, you have to seek these type of people out in certain sections in the city as opposed to finding them in a concentrated areas which appears to be the case in Portland.

Old 06-16-2012, 04:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rass33 View Post
This is absolutely true Minervah. In Chicago where I'm from, certain sections of the city has its weirdos, I think about Wicker Park, Boys Town, Streeterville, parts of Wrigleyville as areas where you are most likely to find people who may be considered odd by societal standards. The samedynamic applies to NYC. But because Chicago and NYC are much bigger cities than Portland, you have to seek these type of people out in certain sections in the city as opposed to finding them in a concentrated areas which appears to be the case in Portland.
I think we agree.

It's really been a long time for me. I remember when Wrigleyville was a gritty blue color neighborhood. Wicker Park was a pretty depressed neighborhood. But Streeterville seems to have remained the same where people were considered "different."

Old 06-16-2012, 04:53 PM

Quote:
I think we agree.

It's really been a long time for me. I remember when Wrigleyville was a gritty blue color neighborhood. Wicker Park was a pretty depressed neighborhood. But Streeterville seems to have remained the same where people were considered "different."

I'm in Wrigleyville now on my way to the Cubs/Red Sox game. Wrigleyville is more upscale now, lots of clubs, restaraunts and taverns in the area. The streets of Streeterville are lined with expensive lofts and is very upscale with an artsy feel to it.

Old 06-16-2012, 04:58 PM

Quote:
I'm in Wrigleyville now on my way to the Cubs/Red Sox game. Wrigleyville is more upscale now, lots of clubs, restaraunts and taverns in the area. The streets of Streeterville are lined with expensive lofts and is very upscale with an artsy feel to it.
Yikes! Sounds like the changes that have gone on in Portland over the years.

Go Cubs!!!!

Old 06-16-2012, 05:03 PM

Quote:
Yikes! Sounds like the changes that have gone on in Portland over the years.

Go Cubs!!!!
Absolutely, alot of the gentrification that I hear about in Portland in the Alberta district is happening in Chicago too. If you can remember back when you lived in Chicago, the area where the Cabrini Green Housing projects stood and areas near the Musuem of Science and Industry are now becoming gentrified as poor people are forced to move further out of the city as urban professionals move into condos and lofts in those newly renovated areas.

Old 06-16-2012, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Absolutely, alot of the gentrification that I hear about in Portland in the Alberta district is happening in Chicago too. If you can remember back when you lived in Chicago, the area where the Cabrini Green Housing projects stood and areas near the Musuem of Science and Industry are now becoming gentrified as poor people are forced to move further out of the city as urban professionals move into condos and lofts in those newly renovated areas.
I remember when they built Cabrini Green. Every Sociologist in the city tried to tell City Hall what a mistake they would be and they certainly were correct. It's hard to picture the area around the Museum of Science and Industry becoming gentrified.

My very trendy neighborhood along Hawthorne Blvd here in Portland was not considered to be a very nice neighborhood and not safe. As it became gentrified, the many elderly and retired people who lived here could no longer afford to and moved out to other neighborhoods that probably became just as gentrified and expensive.

Now it's my turn. I have been planning this for a long time. I can't afford this city on a retiree/disability income. Not just rents but COL in general. My target date is sometime next Spring probably May; I'll be moving to Cleveland.

Old 06-17-2012, 11:34 AM

381 posts, read 465,059 times
Moderator cut: discussing moderation

Out this way (Rockaway) it's very hard to find a good pizza joint. The Upper Crust out here in RB is pretty good, but it's also pretty expensive. No, seriously, it costs a mint for a fresh pizza - avoid it if you like keeping the contents of your wallet. I'll be sniffing around in Tillamook a bit today, so I'll keep an eye out there.

In the metro area? Old Town I can vouch for - same with Bellagios in Hillsboro.

As for Greek restaurants? I miss the hell out of Greek Cuisina in downtown PDX (it closed a couple years back) - that place had some solid food and great prices.

Last edited by Kimballette; 06-17-2012 at 12:52 PM.. Reason: Discussing moderation in the forums is not permitted. Please read the Terms of Service.

Old 06-17-2012, 04:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Random_Walk View Post
Moderator cut: discussing moderation

Out this way (Rockaway) it's very hard to find a good pizza joint. The Upper Crust out here in RB is pretty good, but it's also pretty expensive. No, seriously, it costs a mint for a fresh pizza - avoid it if you like keeping the contents of your wallet. I'll be sniffing around in Tillamook a bit today, so I'll keep an eye out there.

In the metro area? Old Town I can vouch for - same with Bellagios in Hillsboro.

As for Greek restaurants? I miss the hell out of Greek Cuisina in downtown PDX (it closed a couple years back) - that place had some solid food and great prices.
There was a lot of politics going on with the owner of The Greek Cuisina the city fathers. Especially when he tried to get the food carts in the area shut down.

Have you tried the Alexis on Burnside? I like that one pretty well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland