Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-20-2012, 07:04 PM

9,961 posts, read 17,511,478 times

Advertisements

So I've been commuting from NE Portland to Intel in Hillsboro for the last few weeks--and there's something I'm noticed that makes me curious about the traffic patterns out in Washington County. When I commute in the morning from 405 to Hwy 26, the traffic going westbound usually is flowing fine around 8-8:30 am when I'm driving to work--and in the eastbound lane towards the Vista tunnel, there's usually a good line of slow moving traffic, sometimes backed up to 217--sometimes backed up further. Going to work usually takes me about 25-30 minutes.

However when I'm commuting home, the eastbound lanes on 26 from 217 to Vista Tunnel and downtown(or further west) are again backed up with slow bumper to bumper traffic--while the commute going west looks to be fine. It's bad enough that every alternate route east is also jammed with cars, including Cornell Road or through Beaverton--and this seems to last until well after 6:00 pm sometimes close to 7:00 on some days. It seems to take me an hour or more to get back home to Portland.

Is the reason that traffic is always worse on 26 going east because it's funnelling into downtown and the mass of north-south traffic on I-5 as well as the traffic on I-84? While going west you just funnel into the less populated regions of Washington County? You'd think that if there's bad traffic going east in the afternoon, likewise there'd be bad traffic going west in the morning---though maybe people are leaving during a more spread-out period in the morning while everyone tries to leave work at 5-6 pm in the afternoon?

Or do people just drive slower going east into the Vista Tunnel--especially where you have the three lanes with no lane changes permitted where the roads split to go to I-5 North/South and downtown?

I'm actually sitting at work writing this, because I don't feel like sitting in gridlock for the next hour to get home. Where's a good bar on the way back in Wasington County to get a drink for an hour or so?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2012, 07:37 PM

6,413 posts, read 12,137,874 times
The problem is, the majority of traffic is merging on to I-405 southbound. And that's only one lane. And I-405 is usually pretty busy, so merging is difficult. Add to that, a lot of the I-405 traffic is trying to merge over to the right lane to take the exit just past the merge. So you have everyone in the right lane trying to move to the left, and everyone in the left lane trying to merge to the right. And everyone wants to go first. If you're headed northbound on I-405, you usually have a clearer path, as fewer cars are headed that way. But there, you have to contend with everyone who wants to be in the faster lanes on Hwy 26, but then, at the last minute merge over into the slow right lanes, to head south on I-405.

Old 06-21-2012, 11:50 AM

57 posts, read 147,684 times
I think you answered your own question at least my take on it.

1. morning everyone is leaving at different times. Afternoon quitting time everyone is leaving at same time
2. 26 east is a lot going on at the tunnel so everyone slows. Freeways would be more "free" if there were no exists or merging.

Old 06-21-2012, 01:24 PM

6,464 posts, read 13,433,687 times
That whole 26/405/5 Interchange is a mess, I'd argue that it affects traffic throughout the entire area. I wish we could fix it, but with the hills right there I'm not sure of a good solution.

Old 06-25-2012, 05:48 PM

1,082 posts, read 2,401,956 times
I recently got back from a trip to Seattle. It made me appreciate our Portland traffic. Ours can be bad , but Seattle's was BAD.

Old 06-25-2012, 06:27 PM

9,961 posts, read 17,511,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EnricoV View Post
The problem is, the majority of traffic is merging on to I-405 southbound. And that's only one lane. And I-405 is usually pretty busy, so merging is difficult. Add to that, a lot of the I-405 traffic is trying to merge over to the right lane to take the exit just past the merge. So you have everyone in the right lane trying to move to the left, and everyone in the left lane trying to merge to the right. And everyone wants to go first. If you're headed northbound on I-405, you usually have a clearer path, as fewer cars are headed that way. But there, you have to contend with everyone who wants to be in the faster lanes on Hwy 26, but then, at the last minute merge over into the slow right lanes, to head south on I-405.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ksucher View Post
I think you answered your own question at least my take on it.

1. morning everyone is leaving at different times. Afternoon quitting time everyone is leaving at same time
2. 26 east is a lot going on at the tunnel so everyone slows. Freeways would be more "free" if there were no exists or merging.
Quote:
Originally Posted by hamellr View Post
That whole 26/405/5 Interchange is a mess, I'd argue that it affects traffic throughout the entire area. I wish we could fix it, but with the hills right there I'm not sure of a good solution.
Yeah, I suppose I already sort of knew most of the reason for the traffic--I was just curious if there was another explanation for why every that spot seems to be so bad both times of the day. It's just a bad chokepoint that even ends up congesting spots like Cornell Road.

Interestingly last week when the traffic was bad, I spent one day just driving up Cornelius Pass straight from Hillsboro where I work, hit Highway 30 and drove all the way around back down through NW Portland to 405 and got to my house in NE Portland a full 20 minutes faster than it would've taken to get back on 26.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HonuMan View Post
I recently got back from a trip to Seattle. It made me appreciate our Portland traffic. Ours can be bad , but Seattle's was BAD.
Seattle is pretty bad. I've driven through Seattle later at night on trips to Bellingham where even at 10:30 pm I ran into traffic. There's way too many bottlenecks with the bridges across the canals. Even when I used to drive up for the weekend--I'd sometimes get stuck in bumper to bumper traffic as far south as the Olympia area and sometimes even south of there.

Old 06-25-2012, 06:58 PM

6,464 posts, read 13,433,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deezus View Post

Interestingly last week when the traffic was bad, I spent one day just driving up Cornelius Pass straight from Hillsboro where I work, hit Highway 30 and drove all the way around back down through NW Portland to 405 and got to my house in NE Portland a full 20 minutes faster than it would've taken to get back on 26.
It can be faster, but can easily get clogged up badly too. Frequently by trucks going slow along Cornelius Pass.

Old 06-27-2012, 05:02 PM

7 posts, read 9,979 times
Go to Wassabi for a drink!! It's an Asian fusion place but they have an awesome happy hour from 3pm-7pm. It's up in the Tanasborne area by the 26 on 188th in a little plaza.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland