Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2012, 08:28 PM

9 posts, read 23,160 times

Advertisements

I think you must be projecting...there is no repression here. There are more lesbians per capita than anywhere is the US. I have met many "out" men. The gay community is dispersed in portland, there is no gay ghetto. If you are insecure and need that, then maybe its not for you. Its a blended community. Very healthy actually. Portland is a diamond in the rough. A wonderful place.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2012, 03:47 PM

56 posts, read 112,344 times
also straight but with many gay and lesbian friends, I think Portland is pretty laid back and of course you will get the occasional idiot. I think there is a good bar downtown called Dantes? I don't get out much but have been to gay bars and as a straight person never felt uncomfortable. Isn't there also a bar near Powells technical Store? I can't think of the name of it but they have drag shows.

Hope this was a little helpful.

Old 06-29-2014, 03:19 PM

1 posts, read 1,869 times
That's what happens when you leave the shelter of a gay ghetto. I lived in the Castro in the mid to late 80's and I felt repressed when I went to the Haight.

Old 06-29-2014, 04:06 PM

609 posts, read 804,753 times
I have been in that scene quite a bit so I can answer you:

1. Portland is very accepting. No worries there.

2. There is not a gay neighborhood. I can't even think of one neighborhood that would attract more gay people than any other. There used to be a gay "district" of sorts near Powell's books. Stark St. had all the gay bars and even a bathhouse back in the day. Now, all the bars are closed to gentrification on Stark. The bars have now moved to the straight, college-oriented third st. The gay bars are now mixed in with straight bars.

3. I would say it will be very difficult to get into residential architecture.

Old 06-29-2014, 04:14 PM

609 posts, read 804,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTTY10 View Post
Was in portland for the first time several days ago !! I didnt get the feeling it was gay friendly !!! I live in sf and am from boston and i felt repressed !!!
Portland had a cool gay scene about ten years ago when we did have a little gay neighborhood on Stark. I was so bummed to see the bars all move down to the college-party scene on third street. It was cool to have that very small neighborhood where they used to be.

Coming from SF, I can see how Scotty would think it seems a bit dull or reserved. I also think Portland is also hyped up way too much to pretty much everybody who visits here. So, I am guessing that Scotty had probably heard that Portland was the most amazing, exciting, gay-friendly mecca in the whole entire world and universe.

Old 06-29-2014, 08:27 PM

2,430 posts, read 6,613,478 times
Or that he expected Portland's gay scene to be as in your face and glaring as the Castro, which I can't think of any other place that is. Capital Hill in Seattle used to fill a little bit like a tiny Castro 10 years ago but....

I think the point he missed is that Portland is a small city, there are less gay people here because the city is smaller, there isn't a SPECIFIC gay neighborhood and so visually it doesn't look like he's used to, but Portland is gay friendly.

I'm originally from SF, have two gay friends who come visit me at least twice a year because they love Portland and would love to move here but can't job wise because the biotech field isn't large enough but who love the atmosphere here (and the fact that it's not so pretty boy like the Castro). Portland is very gay friendly it's just not visually screaming GAY.

Old 06-29-2014, 11:27 PM

8,000 posts, read 17,280,558 times
Just maybe Portland is not as Gay as the press and a small select group of individuals want us to believe?

Old 06-30-2014, 02:21 AM

2,430 posts, read 6,613,478 times
Who is the "small select group of individuals?" And didn't realize there was a gay meter.

Old 06-30-2014, 10:26 AM

8,000 posts, read 17,280,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtintype View Post
Who is the "small select group of individuals?" And didn't realize there was a gay meter.
Those who are trying to normalize something that is not normal.

Old 06-30-2014, 10:38 AM

46,001 posts, read 35,056,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Pickering View Post
Just maybe Portland is not as Gay as the press and a small select group of individuals want us to believe?
Portland is very accepting of of gays in general. Not sure what you are talking about but none of my friends have had any real issue of being unwanted in Portland.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland