U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 07-09-2012, 10:49 PM

9,416 posts, read 6,202,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Caldwell View Post
On the down side, last spring I had the worst pizza of my whole life at Godfathers not far from St. Vincents. I ordered the thin crust combo, which may have made a difference. The 99 cent frozen party pizzas are twice as good.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beenhere4ever View Post
Herman Cain was running for president. No one was watching the store. Chain pizza isn't worth the money anyway.
Beat me to the punch with the Herman Cain/Godfather's Pizza joke.
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2012, 10:56 PM

9,416 posts, read 6,202,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hamellr View Post
Whiskey Lounge is across the street, and Pok Pok Noi is down in the next block. Both serve drinks, including the vinegar drinks, and some of the items from Pok Pok. But they also each have their own unique items on their menu.

Plus according to his web page, he's opening another place. It looks like it'll be in NE Portland near Alberta.

On the same note, Food Carts PDX just posted a new cart; Katsu Zoku which serves Japanese Katsu.
Ping---Andy Ricker's other place down in Chinatown--is also really good, though maybe the pan-Southeast Asian style street food and drinks is harder for some to get into as opposed to just Thai food. It doesn't seem to get the press Pok Pok does, but it's got some great Singaporean, Malaysian, Vietnamese, Indonesian, Cambodian, Burmese, and Thai dishes plus they have the drinking vinegars as well. Some interesting stuff to try there and great satays and meat skewers.

Old 07-10-2012, 09:26 AM

6,478 posts, read 5,393,550 times
Oh! Thanks for reminding me of that Deezus! They're one of the few places in Portland that have Shochu. I was introduced to that in the suburbs of Chicago of all places, and fell in love with it.

Old 07-11-2012, 02:57 PM

378 posts, read 427,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beenhere4ever View Post
Herman Cain was running for president. No one was watching the store. Chain pizza isn't worth the money anyway.
Chain pizza isn't worth the money? I beg to differ - I would trade every single pizza joint in PDX for some Jet's square deep dish. And yes I've eaten @ Apizza Scholls (certainly overhyped), Ken's Artisan Pizza (meh) and the list goes on and on. The only decent slice I've eaten here in two years is from the deep dish stand at the PSU farmer's market. I hate to tell you this but the advantages of a corporate pizza chain are running test kitchens that can tailor the equipment for ingredients available. I've lived all over (the world, don't love Italian pizza either) and most "popular" independent pizza places are crap. Locally sourced doesn't mean better tasting.

Old 07-11-2012, 03:18 PM

6,416 posts, read 4,882,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danwilsonbsee View Post
Chain pizza isn't worth the money? I beg to differ - I would trade every single pizza joint in PDX for some Jet's square deep dish. And yes I've eaten @ Apizza Scholls (certainly overhyped), Ken's Artisan Pizza (meh) and the list goes on and on. The only decent slice I've eaten here in two years is from the deep dish stand at the PSU farmer's market. I hate to tell you this but the advantages of a corporate pizza chain are running test kitchens that can tailor the equipment for ingredients available. I've lived all over (the world, don't love Italian pizza either) and most "popular" independent pizza places are crap. Locally sourced doesn't mean better tasting.
See now, you're a great example of the problem. Tastes in pizza vary. Vastly. Because what you find "good" probably isn't going to be what someone else finds "good." It's just to your taste, or not.

Old 07-11-2012, 03:48 PM

1,012 posts, read 616,191 times
You don't love Italian pizza? What do you love, Mongolian pizza?

Old 07-11-2012, 04:21 PM

594 posts, read 436,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by turquoise1 View Post
you don't love italian pizza? What do you love, mongolian pizza?
lol

Old 07-11-2012, 05:05 PM

5,153 posts, read 2,612,935 times
That response doesn't surprise me. If Godfather, Pizza Hut, and other monstrosities like that didn't have millions of addicted fans, how could they be so big? But I stand by my statement. Chain pizza is Frankenfood to me.

Old 07-11-2012, 05:20 PM

3,256 posts, read 3,720,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by turquoise1 View Post
You don't love Italian pizza? What do you love, Mongolian pizza?
Some of the best pizza I ever tasted was in Amsterdam, so Dutch pizza gets a big thumbs up. OTOH, never order pizza in Belgium.

The Italians indeed know how to cook Italian food. I had some great Italian food in Italy, including some pasta Bolognese that makes America spaghetti seem like library paste by comparison.

For Oregon pizza, the great pizzas of my youth are, unfortunately, a vanished memory. I like a thin crust instead of deep dish, and don't care for Chicago style, so that sets the parameters. I also don't care for pepperoni, which seems to be stuck in everyone's mind as "the" pizza topping, and also don't care for pineapple on pizza. If you are going to eat Hawaiian food, roast a pig.

About 1970, Pietros had a really good recipe for pizza, but their quality has not held up. Abbys makes a decent Canadian bacon and fresh tomato or vegetarian, but their combo tends to be too greasy. The best combo I ever had was a little joint in Winthrop, Washington where they didn't even make their own crust, but the sauce and toppings were exquisite. I have heard good reports of a wood fired brick oven pizza place in Ashland, and plan to check it out the next time I go there.

I have had some really good Greek food in Portland. India is such a big place that I am still exploring all the regional cuisines, and would appreciate some recommendations in Portland.

Old 07-11-2012, 06:58 PM

13,192 posts, read 9,235,929 times
Coming from Chicago, my favorite style pizza is Sicilian style pizza. I used to get pizza from restaraunts with bakers from Sicily who made their pizzas a certain way. I don't think these are actually made in Sicily but that's how they made them in the US.

Last edited by Minervah; 07-11-2012 at 07:29 PM.. Reason: Whoops! Wrong topic!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland