Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2007, 09:09 AM

2,430 posts, read 6,627,663 times

Advertisements

Yeah, well it's always easy to scapegoat others when you're not happy with your life. Does he think that there aren't any undocumented immigrants in the SE or something?!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2007, 01:52 PM

2,885 posts, read 1,983,102 times
This isn't even factual. Illegals are not taking over Portland. You can find this population everywhere in the US, especially as many are migrant workers.

Old 10-24-2007, 02:26 AM

12 posts, read 47,856 times
Wow, I'd chose that any day over what I deal with in Philadelphia. lol!

Be happy you can fit on the sidewalks! One person here takes up a whole block.

Philadelphia's attempt at eating healthy: "vegetarian" cheesesteaks.

I get ran over by strollers in malls here, but in the city the parents just drag their kids by their arms and scream at them, and that's if they can watch them. Usually they're blocks away.

Old 10-24-2007, 02:47 PM

25 posts, read 88,280 times
Quote:
You want to come up against crunchy-granola yuppies pushing their SUV baby strollers all over your feet.
Crunchy mommas tend to sling, actually.

Old 01-13-2010, 11:10 AM

1 posts, read 1,556 times
I can relate to some of Minervah's post. After graduating from college, I decided to move to Portland. After seeing a number of intriguing advertisements in magazines and stories on TV that made the city sound like one of the best cities for a young professionals, as well as the number one biker-friendly city in America, I decided it must be the best place for me to live. First off, Portland is no doubt pretty, clean, and filled with interesting people and places to hang-out. Unfortunatley, none of the entry-level opportunities I was offered when I got there had a salary that could cover the living expenses of living in the city. A lot of new college graduates have moved to and moved out of Portland soon after arriving for this reason. This is great for bringing money into the city, but terrible for the future of the city's ability to grow a strong young workforce. They are certainly loosing this battle to other cities throughout the country, and I'd say perhaps not a good thing for Portland's future development plans. So its understood that Portalnd is one of the more overpriced cities in the U.S., at least for college graduates (unless you have an advanced profesional degree of course). Also, after comparing Portland to other cities, I've found it to be not as biker-friendly as advertised on TV and in magazines. In fact, I found that there is a very high percentage of people who drive vehicles in and around the city of Portland. Granted, most cities are not bike firendly, but Portland is certainly not the most bike friendly city I've lived in. I feel like I have a much better future for myself in my new more affordable lifestyle.

Old 01-13-2010, 12:18 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,431,197 times
Oh dear, this is an old post of mine. In fact it's my first post and I regret having posted it at all. I was trying to be funny but I wasn't. It was at the time that I was fed up with this town and made the mistake of venting by listing the reasons why I am looking to move elsewhere. Now it's coming back to haunt me.

Sorry to all those who took offense. For me there is a large grain of truth; for others not so much. I respect that. Really.

Old 01-13-2010, 04:49 PM

1,018 posts, read 4,108,466 times
I laughed and found it very much in line with things I have noticed here.

Old 01-13-2010, 06:28 PM

569 posts, read 1,819,260 times
City data forgives but never forgets. muahaha
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland