U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2007, 04:04 AM

6 posts, read 41,866 times

Advertisements

Okay, I keep hearing how bad the winters are in Portland, but I'm from Michigan. I want to know how they compare. I know a guy that moved to Oregon and moved back to the Midwest because he could not handle the winters there. It left me scratching my head. How does it get worse than Michigan? I know it gets dreary but the Midwest isn't exactly sunshine and rainbows in the winter. Are there any Midwest transplants (or anyone for that matter) that can explain this to me?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2007, 07:17 AM

4,723 posts, read 13,916,996 times
Having lived in both,I can tell you much longer stretches of grey and "gloom" in Portland. Seems like a longer wait for warmth and sunshine ,but when its nice weather,its glorious !!! I found I really prefer the 4 seasons in the midwest.Surprised myself

Old 10-05-2007, 02:13 PM

64 posts, read 376,832 times
Default It's simple really...

The weather in Portland is mild year round. The winters are long, grey and rainy... MAYBE a dusting of snow every other year. Summers are perfect.

Sorry, beats the midwest.. ie. walking out of my house and digging my car out of 10 feet of snow... NO THANKS.

Old 10-05-2007, 03:08 PM

2,885 posts, read 1,510,876 times
No humidity in summer! Gorgeous lovely summer days - mostly all! All summer long.

Old 10-05-2007, 03:45 PM

8,235 posts, read 18,505,219 times
Portland's a marine climate, very unique to the west coast of the US. Ocean currents or something . Maybe England has this climate. For its latitude , Portland is very very mild with no extremes.

However, the midwest (I went to the U of Wisconsin) has terribly cold winters where the cold just penetrates you [ below zeros are often] and the summer are hot and humid (as are most places east of the Rockies for some reason).

Old 10-05-2007, 06:35 PM

14 posts, read 84,205 times
Michigan: Freeze in car all the way to work, as soon as you park~car is warm. Risk getting a ticket because you want to prewarm your car when it is 10degrees, wind chill of -20. Kids crawling all over the house, each other, fighting because it is too darn cold to go outside. Temp @ 40 degrees in March (that one day)? MSU kids wearing shorts, windows down, park is filled with people, sun roofs open, everyone starved for sunlight...back to 15degrees the next day.

Oregon: People complain @ 40 degrees about the cold spell. Rain, definitely. City shuts down with dusting of snow. Black ice is scary though, they don't salt the roads (from what I hear). The summers are wonderful! Maybe a few mosquitos but they are laid back, not the aggressive monsters MI has.

This will be our first winter here but we visited in March and had very mild temps, 50 degrees or so with rain sprinkles, very green and pretty. 80 degrees in Medford that week. We flew into Detroit metro to a blizzard. Decison made.

Old 10-05-2007, 07:48 PM

700 posts, read 2,332,955 times
I still think the idea that Portland is socked in with grey for 3/4 of the year is just not accurate. Yes the winters have stretches that feel like forever without the sun...but so does other cities. Again no sub zero temps, a smidge of snow and ice....so take your pick. I had lived in the NW on and off for two decades...There ARE nice days in the winter (sunny with a chill)....watch Oregon Duck or Seahawks games....yes occasional rain, but mostly just brisk with variable clouds....Would they build open stadiums if it was horrid?? Just a thought....
And Late May through End of September....thats the trade off.

Old 10-05-2007, 08:35 PM

2,430 posts, read 5,911,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5chevin5 View Post
I still think the idea that Portland is socked in with grey for 3/4 of the year is just not accurate. Yes the winters have stretches that feel like forever without the sun...but so does other cities. Again no sub zero temps, a smidge of snow and ice....so take your pick. I had lived in the NW on and off for two decades...There ARE nice days in the winter (sunny with a chill)....watch Oregon Duck or Seahawks games....yes occasional rain, but mostly just brisk with variable clouds....Would they build open stadiums if it was horrid?? Just a thought....
And Late May through End of September....thats the trade off.

I totally agree with you. Like I said before--we wouldn't have flowers blooming everywhere late Feb and on if there wasn't sun! And like today for example--it was a really crummy day but there were a few hours when the clouds parted and we had beautiful sun.

This has been a weird year as it rained in August and it seems like fall has come really early and hard but...it's not solid gray and gloom all winter, despite what people claim.

Old 10-05-2007, 08:58 PM

4,723 posts, read 13,916,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5chevin5 View Post
...Would they build open stadiums if it was horrid??

Having watched the Bears in the past at Solider Field---Yes,,,Yes they would !!!

Old 10-05-2007, 09:54 PM

310 posts, read 274,777 times
Having lived in several different regions of the US, I can only say that the weather overall in Portland and the Pacific NW is quite tolerable in general.
I know there are many people who just cannot handle days and sometimes....weeks without ANY sunshine......which is the case often in the Pacific NW from Fall-Spring......but.....in comparison with places like Michigan it IS worth it for many like myself who just don't wish to deal with weeks of sub-zero cold, snow.....often on the ground for several months til the Spring "thaw".....blizzards.......or.....in the summer months.....heat waves, humidity, etc.
And to answer NANCY THEREADER.......the reason WHY there is far more humidity EAST of the Rockies......is because the prevailing wind direction is generally.....from the south......yep.....from the Gulf of Mexico......and it provides for soooo much humidity and moisture far into the midwest.....all the way up to North Dakota and east to the Great Lakes region......further east to the coast is another source of MORE humidity/moisture....the Atlantic Ocean......so this is why it is increasingly more humid the further east you get from the Rocky Mtns.
No matter where you live though......there NEVER really IS perfect weather.....though.....if LOTS of sunshine and temperatures that never vary much appeal to you and that is what you seek......I would recommend Honolulu and possibly San Diego.......neither of which truly HAVE any "seasons" though, IMO.
Otherwise.......there are only two areas.....maybe 3 in the continental US that really have ALL 4 seasons more than any other region and they are:
(1). The Pacific Northwest
(2). New England....(Upstate NY, Vermont, NH, Maine)
(3). The Rocky Mountains.....at 7500 feet (and up) above sea level in particular may qualify.....but the "seasons" can change in a minute.....literally....from summer to winter.

Possibly along the spine of the highest elevations of the Appalachians from western North Carolina on up through Pennsylvania.....to a degree as well.
Anyway, just my 2 pennies........but I do love Michigan though......especially northern MI (UP, Mackinac Island, Keewenaw, etc.).......beautiful country for sure......but isn't Michigan's state bird a mosquito?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland