Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2012, 12:58 PM

4 posts, read 4,003 times

Advertisements

Hi this my first time posting and I tried the search feature and didn't really find anything. I've been kicking around the idea of moving to Portland after a friend of mine told me he's going to have a room open for me to rent in December. I've been working in a warehouse for over a year now for a defense contractor here in Southern California. Unfortunately I'm going to be getting laid off in the next month(two months tops) cause they are moving the facility to Mississippi. I have no desire to move to Mississippi. So my question is there any warehouse work to be had? I also have call center experience and I painted houses for a few years I'm accustomed to grunt labor as well.

Another reason I am interested in moving there is to set up residency so I can pay in state tuition for a school in Oregon. The UC system here is losing to much funding and I'm not keen on a lot of the CA state school locations.

I have a little over 10k saved up but I don't want to dip into that to much because I am really trying to save that for school. I've been working since I was 16 saving and surviving. I'm for up the challenge if it can be overcome. I've read a lot of posts about the dismal job situation and I don't have any illusions about a grand life in your city but I would like to leave California and pursue my education in Oregon with some good friends in a nice place. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2012, 05:38 PM

6,464 posts, read 13,433,687 times
UPS and FedEx always seem to be hiring people.

ACS, Stream and Comcast are always hiring call center people.

Old 09-13-2012, 05:40 PM

1,588 posts, read 2,530,004 times
There are a lot of warehouse jobs that pay about 13-14 an hour but most are min wage to start. Craigslist and indeed will give you an idea. The schedules are usually awful, 12 hr plus and you have to be available at any time. Be careful though... a lot of companies are high turnover because they are terrible, we had an inspector come to us from a company that has tons of ads out because they have 85 percent turnover after 6 months.

Old 09-13-2012, 06:52 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,431,197 times
Comcast is hiring according to a Comcast cable guy who recently came over to install a neighbor's TV system. It's for customer service. He said they have lots of perks and promote pretty rapidly with training programs.

Old 09-14-2012, 08:53 AM

10,988 posts, read 20,554,439 times
I have an aquaintance who worked in HR at Comcast. She spoke well of them. Keep in mind that they have high expectations.

There are several warehouse operations in Wilsonville (in the metro area, south of Portland). Sysco, NIKE come to my mind at the moment.

Old 09-14-2012, 10:46 AM

OK cool thanks for all the info guys. I've still got a few things to mull over but I think I'm going to go up there next month and put my ear to street and see what's up and make a final decision then. Again I really appreciate the input!

Old 09-16-2012, 12:34 PM

Anyone else know of any warehouse work in the area? What about Home Depot's or a Costco's in the area. Looks like my last day at my current Job will be 10-05-12. Greedy Raytheon sending my job to Mississippi to pay people less than half of what I am getting!

Old 09-16-2012, 12:54 PM

5,456 posts, read 8,168,222 times
Off the top of my head, major distribution centers not in the Portland area:

Walmart; Hermiston

Lowes; Lebanon

True Value Hardware; Springfield

Do It Best Hardware; Woodburn

Old 09-16-2012, 03:59 PM

478 posts, read 881,467 times
To add to karlsch's list, Fred Meyer has a huge distribution center in Clackamas.

I work in tech support and a lot of my coworkers worked at Netflix, but can't attest to conditions there.

Old 09-16-2012, 04:01 PM

478 posts, read 881,467 times
Fred Meyer - Careers - Manufacturing and Distribution Opportunities

Looks like they have an online application.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland